My r50 took a poop!

pathblazin420

so i was cruising home and it started sputterin and just shut off.

crancks over but will not start.

seems like its not getting gas.

tried cleaning off some of the sensors and didnt make a difference.

tried to listen to the fuel pump and couldn't hear anything. so that might be the problem

do these trucks have any history of fuel pumps going bad?

gonna go by my shop tmrw and grab my OBD2 and fuel pressure gauge and see what i can find out.

so if anyones got any ideas lets hear em

so i was cruising home and it started sputterin and just shut off.

crancks over but will not start.

seems like its not getting gas.

tried cleaning off some of the sensors and didnt make a difference.

tried to listen to the fuel pump and couldn't hear anything. so that might be the problem

do these trucks have any history of fuel pumps going bad?

gonna go by my shop tmrw and grab my OBD2 and fuel pressure gauge and see what i can find out.

so if anyones got any ideas lets hear em

The fuel pumps don't go bad, what goes bad is the connection on top of the fuel sender. Clean it up and you should be good to go.

ok so heres what happened,

checked the fuse and relay. pulled up the back seat to get to the fuel tank. cleaned up the connections and it started up after a few tries. So i tried messing with the connections some more and it would not start. Tried all kinds of stuff clean it up but no luck. So finally i just hardwired the pump and tried to kick it and no go. ( Checked the wires and they were good)

So i just went and picked up a new pump. Ran me $105. Gonna go throw it on in a couple hours after it cools down a lil outside. Its like 100 degrees over here.

Edited by pathblazin420

but they do still fail... you run your tank low alot? The fuel in the tank helps keep the pump cool (stick you hand in a tank of gas once, it's cool) and runnign low alot will keep the pump exposed more and make it run 'hotter', that mixed with a non-maintained fuel filter replacement schedule (making the pump work harder to pump through a clogged filter-breath through a clogged one comeared to a new one. You'll get the point) can cause premature wear/burnout of it. It IS just an electric pump...

yeah thats what i heard.

i did run out of gas a few times so that might be why it went out. i know they dont like to run dry

Edit: Yes i do run it a low a lot. So it makes sense. I got a fuel filter also which im going to replace. The current one was supposedly replaced in a tune up right before it bought the truck (about 15k miles ago)

Edited by pathblazin420

I got a fuel filter also which im going to replace.

:aok:

It's also a good measure to replace the relay whenever you replace a pump.

double :aok: for the couple extra bucks, it don't hurt and you can throw the old one in the glove box as a spare if it's still working!

relays already replaced. it was the first thing i did.

its still like a 100 degrees outisde! i tried to get in the truck and its like a oven in there with a gnarly stench of gas. i almost passed out

i wish i could roll into my garage but i got like 45 degreee driveway. no way its gettin pushed up there

yup, put it in gear, push your interlock switch (don't know where it's at on a car50) let the clutch out and crank. The starter will move the whole drivetrain thus moving the truck until the battery dies. Or just be patient and wait for a little less sunshine and do it where it's at when it cools down for the day there

Stupid question but do you have enough gas in there now?

When you wired the pump directly, did you hear it running?

Did you run the ecu codes?

Could be the distributor that's the problem.

yea thats what i thought u were talking about. i doubt that will be enuff to get it up my driveway man. its really steep and about 20 feet long.

think ill just wait a couple more hours

Oh believe me, it's got plenty enough power. MY1PATH has driven his around the block with the starter, and I've moved my Pathfinder around from the front lawn and up the driveway with the starter so many times the battery has gone dead. It's a slow process but effective, and goes a little faster if you stick it in 2nd gear. :aok:

So new fuel pump, still no start? If it suddenly died and won't restart, the coil could also be suspect. Sorry to :jacked: but Rick, you're also on Z31performance, right?