Alternator belt

shooter

Just tightened my alternator belt. That is a pie job once the front skid plate is off. Loosen one bolt from the top, one from the bottom and turn the tightening bolt. All 3 bolts are the same size. 15/20 min job including the skid plate. In case anybody needs to do theirs.

simple b.s.-ing is what the poho thread is for if your lookin for just some chit-chat. No offence but a not-so-descriptive new thread on how it was a quick job to tighten your alty belt or that the lugnuts are right-hand thread ain't gonna get you alot of the b.s. traffic your lookin for. That or start a "members trucks" thread (and make sure you add some pics in it) for every time you want to keep e-dibs on all your repairs/upgrades :aok:

simple b.s.-ing is what the poho thread is for if your lookin for just some chit-chat. No offence but a not-so-descriptive new thread on how it was a quick job to tighten your alty belt or that the lugnuts are right-hand thread ain't gonna get you alot of the b.s. traffic your lookin for. That or start a "members trucks" thread (and make sure you add some pics in it) for every time you want to keep e-dibs on all your repairs/upgrades :aok:

I didn't say I was looking for any b.s ing. Seems to me the only people that read this forum are people that either have an old pathfinder or are looking at one to possibly buy. Some people don't even change their own oil. Seems like a quick tutorial how to might help somebody not to have to take their vehicle to a repair shop. What else is this forum for? I doubt if every reader on this forum has done an alternator belt. It would look very difficult to do looking at it from the top. I wasn't saying I could do anything special. Don't know what a po ho thread is.

Edited by shooter

poho is the general shoot the bull chat thread. I would bet most people here DO change their own oil. It almost sounds like maybe you havn't wandered around here enough yet, go look in the garage section. Hell I've taken my alty out and replaced it again so many times I could probably do it with my eyes closed. And yes the alty belt is easy to adjust, what is even easier is the AC belt, check that out. Don't get frustrated because most of us (if not all) know that the alty belt is easy to adjust, we're all friendly folks so don't take it the wrong way bro.

In the 86.5-89 section? Yea, it's gonna be the older truck owners primarly. An r50 owner ain't gonna care too much abot a maintnance thing on a 2door wd21. My point though that I proably didn't make too well was your not gonna get alot of traffic if your insite on how to do something is "it's a 15-20 minute job, the bolts are all one size".

poho is the general shoot the bull chat thread. I would bet most people here DO change their own oil. It almost sounds like maybe you havn't wandered around here enough yet, go look in the garage section. Hell I've taken my alty out and replaced it again so many times I could probably do it with my eyes closed. And yes the alty belt is easy to adjust, what is even easier is the AC belt, check that out. Don't get frustrated because most of us (if not all) know that the alty belt is easy to adjust, we're all friendly folks so don't take it the wrong way bro.

I was really posting that for somebody that might be cruising through here looking for easy DIY things that they used to have done at an auto repair shop. If only the old pathfinder guys from many years are the only ones reading these posts then we are sort of only preaching to the choir. The alternator and ps belts on these are a tiny bit unique from some other vehicles I have worked on. Looking at the garage/how to section I don't see anything about stock alternators. Don't really see how the post was irritating enough to trigger a personal insult.

Edited by shooter

I didn't say I was looking for any b.s ing. Seems to me the only people that read this forum are people that either have an old pathfinder or are looking at one to possibly buy. Some people don't even change their own oil. Seems like a quick tutorial how to might help somebody not to have to take their vehicle to a repair shop. What else is this forum for? I doubt if every reader on this forum has done an alternator belt. It would look very difficult to do looking at it from the top. I wasn't saying I could do anything special. Don't know what a po ho thread is.

I was really posting that for somebody that might be cruising through here looking for easy DIY things that they used to have done at an auto repair shop

I don't know if you realize but this forum (starting with its origins) is about a decade old. And allot of these DIY things HAVE BEEN COVERED MANY TIMES. sometimes in more descriptive manner with pictures and whole 9 yards. Yeah the search funtion sucks so a future DIY-er may have troble finding but littering the forum with less helpful postings that still include all the search terms just makes the search harder.

Ya I came of sarcastic and rude on my earlier reply. Really I am all for people wanting to learn to DIY and others wanting to help I'm sure others have seen; when someone says "thankyou" I say "no problem, help the next person when you can" I also adressed this matter with you (using Far less words) in one of your other threads when I suggessed you start and introductory thread. "hi my name is shooter and here is a pic of my ride"..... I was very serious, tell us about yourself and then search for something before you try to randomly explain it. Honestly I came to this thread because most ppl ask questions and get answers I did not expect what you wrote(the opposite) and thus I left my original (and appearanly offensive) reply.

Edited by MY1PATH

Simply put, you're answering a question that nobody asked.

Yes, that kind of info would be helpful to some but where would it stop? I could post how to aim your headlights or the correct torque sequence for your head bolts but I think its best to wait for someone to inquire about it.

Congrats to you that you actually tackled a job and weren't intimidated when it came to wrenching on your truck. Truly that shows great initiative, but posting random "how-to"s on rather basic maintenance proceedures is gonna get you some flack.

Don't take it too hard, though. Just remember that most everyone here who has more experience than you is likely older and will die before you will.

Eh...cut the guy a break...you ever go to that pull a part in columbia shooter? I used to go to the one in charlotte all the time but haven't shot down to columbia yet and was curious if htey keep it up like they do in charlotte...i'm gonna be looking for some odd's and ends before too long

Simply put, you're answering a question that nobody asked.

Yes, that kind of info would be helpful to some but where would it stop? I could post how to aim your headlights or the correct torque sequence for your head bolts but I think its best to wait for someone to inquire about it.

Congrats to you that you actually tackled a job and weren't intimidated when it came to wrenching on your truck. Truly that shows great initiative, but posting random "how-to"s on rather basic maintenance proceedures is gonna get you some flack.

Thanks, I am 62 years old and retired last year. I have had over 50 cars and trucks over the years and been wrenching all my life. Haven't seen the inside of a repair shop since I was 20. Have rebuilt engines and done engine swaps. Have a 97 Maxima besides the pathfinder, also an 02 Buick Lesabre. Also inboard outboard boat, massey ferguson tractor, craftsman lawn tractor plus a bunch of 2 cycle odds and ends to keep up. Probably the hardest job I have done is the trans replacement on the pathfinder, that was a killer.

Edited by shooter

I don't know if you realize but this forum (starting with its origins) is about a decade old. And allot of these DIY things HAVE BEEN COVERED MANY TIMES. sometimes in more descriptive manner with pictures and whole 9 yards. Yeah the search funtion sucks so a future DIY-er may have troble finding but littering the forum with less helpful postings that still include all the search terms just makes the search harder.

Ya I came of sarcastic and rude on my earlier reply. Really I am all for people wanting to learn to DIY and others wanting to help I'm sure others have seen; when someone says "thankyou" I say "no problem, help the next person when you can" I also adressed this matter with you (using Far less words) in one of your other threads when I suggessed you start and introductory thread. "hi my name is shooter and here is a pic of my ride"..... I was very serious, tell us about yourself and then search for something before you try to randomly explain it. Honestly I came to this thread because most ppl ask questions and get answers I did not expect what you wrote(the opposite) and thus I left my original (and appearanly offensive) reply.

Sorry I made a big deal. Hadn't really thought about that. I'm a johnny come lately talking about stuff that has been kicked around for many years. There are only so many things you can talk about on an 87-89 pathfinder.

"trans replacement on the pathfinder, that was a killer"

now that would be a good write up with pics and all. Check out some of Dr Bills write ups (there are many other good ones by others, his just came to mind first since his was the last I looked at) they include many specific pics and specific descriptions - they help alot.

Wow, sorry I assumed. It just reminded me of similar posts from first-time wrenchers. And yes, pulling the trans out was prolly 2nd on my "don't want to do again" list. I think the motor swap was worse since I had to pull the front axle, too.

This is actually a good group of people. It just seems we get a bit full of ourselves sometimes and for my part I apologize (I was really trying to be helpful, though).

I'm also sorry that you'll prolly die first. If so, can I have your boat? :aok:

Thanks, I am 62 years old and retired last year.

:rofl: talk about backfires on the age comment JJ!

You DID start off sounding like you lost your left-handed screwdriver man... The site is good people but at the same time were still people... We have personalitys and for the most part it's sarcastic asses, which don't show well over a computer screen to those who don't know better.

Wow, sorry I assumed. It just reminded me of similar posts from first-time wrenchers. And yes, pulling the trans out was prolly 2nd on my "don't want to do again" list. I think the motor swap was worse since I had to pull the front axle, too.

This is actually a good group of people. It just seems we get a bit full of ourselves sometimes and for my part I apologize (I was really trying to be helpful, though).

I'm also sorry that you'll prolly die first. If so, can I have your boat? :aok:

Its good to know I can't die young. You can have my boat, it is only an old sunbird with a 140 I/O and mercruiser outdrive. Luckily, I can still crawl around under vehicles and like to work on stuff.