early japanese technology

shooter

Even though my 89 is old the technology it came with was outstanding for it's day. Cruise control, fuel injection, power windows, electric rear window release, dual o.h. cams, sunroof, heated backglass and rear wiper etc were state of the art in 89. Other items standard were sometimes optional in other cars-front discs, and am/fm cassette. Most cars had p.s. and p.b.

My 4wd before this was an 89 chevy blazer. It had amazing pulling power in 4wd but at the same 140k miles it was starting to smoke on startup (valve guides) and starting to rattle on startup (excessive bearing clearance) My pathfinder has no wear indicators that I can see yet. No engine rattles, no leaks, nothing. Of course, I don't know the history of the old blazer before I had it. My pathfinder was bought new by my father so I know it had oil changes all its life. When I changed the plugs recently they were all clean with no deposits.

Edited by shooter

DOHC would be 2 cams per cyl. head, not a total of 2 cams on a 'V' motor... and you could get a 57 Bel Air with a fuel injection option, and by the late 80 front disc was fairly standard...

My 80's conquest/starions have 4 wheel disc,LSD with IRS.Leather with digital climate control and some models even had digital dashes.

Compared to the "muscle cars of the 80's,the "jap" cars were way ahead in technology.

I find allot of chevy ppl (350 fans) think we have DOHC. we just have OHC or SOHC. But they automatically think that if the cam is not in the center of the block it must be DOHC lol

Guess thats me, old chevy guy. Anyway it has 2 cams that are over the heads lol. No pushrods.

Guess thats me, old chevy guy. Anyway it has 2 cams that are over the heads lol. No pushrods.

DOHC should mean

Duel over THE head cams. as in 2 over each head, not total of 2.

I have had to explain this to almost every domestic person i have discussed this with.. even got into a heated argument once.

DOHC should mean

I have had to explain this to almost every domestic person i have discussed this with.. even got into a heated argument once.

:rofl: Nothin beat the argument i got into once over my Red 91 HB not being a Pathfinder... I actually made money on that one... idiot

DOHC should mean

Gotcha. High performance high dollar engine.

Even though my 89 is old the technology it came with was outstanding for it's day. Cruise control, fuel injection, power windows, electric rear window release, dual o.h. cams, sunroof, heated backglass and rear wiper etc were state of the art in 89. Other items standard were sometimes optional in other cars-front discs, and am/fm cassette. Most cars had p.s. and p.b.

Japanese vehicles were quite a bit behind Americans and the rest of the world in technology. A lot of the 70s and 80s American cars could be had with single or dual power/memory/heated seats, electric sunroofs, automatic ride leveling suspension systems, completely digital dashes with an onboard computer diagnostics and information system, etc. One that that's always bothered me is that Nissan didn't offer electric seats in the WD21s when every other SUV out there did. I know it's more things to go wrong, but still. Chevrolet started putting fuel injection in the Corvette in 1965 and power windows have been around since the late 30s.

At the time most vehicles were fuel injected, Japanese makers were still using carburated motors. Also, in case anyone was wondering, Alfa Romeo started using variable valve timing (think V-Tec) in the 60s.

Japanese companies have been stealing American technology for decades now. LCD screens, CDs, calculators, assorted TV technology, etc.

• Like 1

Japanese vehicles were quite a bit behind Americans and the rest of the world in technology. A lot of the 70s and 80s American cars could be had with single or dual power/memory/heated seats, electric sunroofs, automatic ride leveling suspension systems, completely digital dashes with an onboard computer diagnostics and information system, etc. One that that's always bothered me is that Nissan didn't offer electric seats in the WD21s when every other SUV out there did. I know it's more things to go wrong, but still. Chevrolet started putting fuel injection in the Corvette in 1965 and power windows have been around since the late 30s.

At the time most vehicles were fuel injected, Japanese makers were still using carburated motors. Also, in case anyone was wondering, Alfa Romeo started using variable valve timing (think V-Tec) in the 60s.

Japanese companies have been stealing American technology for decades now. LCD screens, CDs, calculators, assorted TV technology, etc.

You must not have ever been in mid to late 80's nissan,toyota or mitsubishi sports cars.All you listed above were inside them all.

matter of fact,a mitsubishi starion was the only car offered with IRS other than vette.

The sophistication in the japanese cars were what lead to the downfall of the american muscle car sales.

If you are talking about trucks/suv's.....yes.....America has always been above the import market.

I hate chevys but their ride quality on their trucks is beyong anything out there.Just sold a 96 k1500 suburban 4x4 and it rode better than my sisters 2008 land rover.

matter of fact,a mitsubishi starion was the only car offered with IRS other than vette.

Wrong. The 1982-85 Toyota Celica-Supra had IRS. The L type supras in the US also had all digital dashboards along with a "trip computer" that gave you estimated mileage left on the tank of gas, and the miles per gallon which was calculated by the injector pulses, you can see the trip computer output in the lower right:

100_2239.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

Also, the stock stereo came with an amplified 7 EQ AM/FM/tape deck and automatic air conditioning which can be seen in this same picture:

100_2240.jpg

So, japanese cars were fairly advanced in the 80s, especially compared to their american competition.

You could get that same technology in many American cruisers, including the full graphic equalizers. Chryslers, GMs, and Fords alike. Where's the electric sliding sunroofs, the auto adjusting and leveling ride suspension systems, the memory power and heated seats...?

Never seen any of that in a Japanese vehicle of the day. A/C has also been used in American cars since the early 60s...

It also wasn't the "sophistication" of the Jap cars that hurt the Domestic auto makers, it was that at the time they built the better cars on the road while America was slacking off and producing shoddy quality. American cars had just as much, or more, electronic goodies than the Japanese cars...but the cars themselves didn't last too long. Their sports cars were much better, yes, because they put the same goodies found in American cruisers in to a powerful, sporty, and reliable package.

But I'll say it again. Almost all of the technology we use today, that's made by Japanese companies, was originally American technology. The trend of Japanese companies commandeering American technology has been going on for decades.

• Like 1

somebody never saw the end of My Cousin Vinny :lol:

as the 72 vette that was iu nthe shop today had 4 wheel disc a/c and IRS, yea its a vette but its still got 10 years on the 80s imports were using to compare with...

• Like 1

I know its probably no ones favorite car but the 88 dodge daytona with the rare pacifica package, had power everything, I have never to this date seen a more electronically adjustable seat, it had a onboard trip computer, a electric display dash, a tap deck-equilizer-with cd player (yes both tap and CD) They did not have power sunroofs as they were t-tops. One of these was my first car not my first vehical but my first car.

• Like 1

You could get that same technology in many American cruisers, including the full graphic equalizers. Chryslers, GMs, and Fords alike. Where's the electric sliding sunroofs, the auto adjusting and leveling ride suspension systems, the memory power and heated seats...?

Never seen any of that in a Japanese vehicle of the day. A/C has also been used in American cars since the early 60s...

It also wasn't the "sophistication" of the Jap cars that hurt the Domestic auto makers, it was that at the time they built the better cars on the road while America was slacking off and producing shoddy quality. American cars had just as much, or more, electronic goodies than the Japanese cars...but the cars themselves didn't last too long. Their sports cars were much better, yes, because they put the same goodies found in American cruisers in to a powerful, sporty, and reliable package.

But I'll say it again. Almost all of the technology we use today, that's made by Japanese companies, was originally American technology. The trend of Japanese companies commandeering American technology has been going on for decades.

Yes, Kingman got it on the spot. Things from Japan used to be @!*% until American technology came in.

somebody never saw the end of My Cousin Vinny :lol:

as the 72 vette that was iu nthe shop today had 4 wheel disc a/c and IRS, yea its a vette but its still got 10 years on the 80s imports were using to compare with...

explain to me what you are trying to say?

thought i said irs was on vettes in the 80's but not any other domestic car.

and i didnt know irs was on 82-85supra's.that one is new to me.ive only owned 87+ model years.

I have owned every muscle car you can imagine and esp muscle cars of the 80's,and ive yet to see all you mentioned inside one.Ive never owned a treans am,camaro or mustang that had heated seats.hell,i dont even think they had power seats.

comparing the nicities of my starion to the same years mustang /trans am/camaro etc is like comparing a kia to a lexus.

And your statement about quality is what hurt bdomestic cars,you are right.but that goes hand in hand with the creature comforts of imports being elevated past domestics.I think you debated yourself to prove this point.lol

i think you are talking sedan domestic cars to imports cars and not sports cars nwhen comparing heated seats etc.

Name me one domestic sports car other than the vette of the 80's that has heated and memory,powered seats,eletric sunroof,adjustable ride.

damn,that sopund slike my 85 bmw 635 or my 88 starion.

damn sure aint my 87 firebird formula or 91 lx 5.0

I know its probably no ones favorite car but the 88 dodge daytona with the rare pacifica package, had power everything, I have never to this date seen a more electronically adjustable seat, it had a onboard trip computer, a electric display dash, a tap deck-equilizer-with cd player (yes both tap and CD) They did not have power sunroofs as they were t-tops. One of these was my first car not my first vehical but my first car.

The shelby Daytona was more optioned.

and thanks to mitsubishi,dodge did a good job on these fwd cars.

My shelby charger was blast to drive.sunroof to.and 32mpg.

explain to me what you are trying to say?

thought i said irs was on vettes in the 80's but not any other domestic car.

and i didnt know irs was on 82-85supra's.that one is new to me.ive only owned 87+ model years.

"mitsubishi starion was the only car offered with IRS other than vette" ain't "the only domestic with irs is a vette" Irs was around a fiew years before the 80s, perfect example can be taken from one of the memoriable parts of My Cousin Vinny at the end with the argument about the tire tracks goein over the curb and the argument was based on the irs in a 1963 Pontiac Tempest (a Domestic car)

• Like 1

"mitsubishi starion was the only car offered with IRS other than vette" ain't "the only domestic with irs is a vette" Irs was around a fiew years before the 80s, perfect example can be taken from one of the memoriable parts of My Cousin Vinny at the end with the argument about the tire tracks goein over the curb and the argument was based on the irs in a 1963 Pontiac Tempest (a Domestic car)

You missed my point.We were talking 80's.

And don't confuse IRS with LSD.

Iroc z's of the 80's had LSD.Not IRS.

I wasn't talking about LSD, (I know the difference) and the whole point of this thread was that this stuff was "high tech" and unheard of in the 80s.

Really? I thought the topic was japanese technology.My bad.

so,any domestic cars with one of these in them? from the 80s?

82-e1280111194215.jpg