Why do we drive these?

shooter

Why do we drive these old clunkers? They will be an antique in a few years. Even though the parts aren't supported like a Toyota they seem to hold up as good or better than anything ever made it seems. 4 wheelers love jeeps but it seems like they break down and break parts.

Jeeps are too cookie cutter and all Toyotas ain't as easy to find stuff for...

Not all of us here either have "old" clunkers, and these 'antiques' are better set up in stock form than alot of other modified trucks.

I've got a 1995 WD21 that is mildly modified with suspension, lift, exhaust and bumpers. It has 104k miles on it so in my book, it isn't a clunker although age wise it is maturing. I plan to be driving this truck in 10 years and fully expect it to last that long at least. Other bonus is that it is paid for...

With the proper maintenance and a few fixes, the pathfinders are remarkably capable even in most stock trim and their reliability is legendary.

It looks good?? :shrug:

B

I'd also like to think that I don't drive a clunker. Also, I feel that my pathfinder is much more reliable than my friends 4runner and toyo pickup.

True, I guess clunker is the wrong word. Old doesn't relate to clunker. People driving restored classics worth many thousands of dollars hardly feel they are driving a clunker.

My last ride was an '88 Jetta with 365,000 original km on a gas engine (and is going to my 16 year old nephew). Older than my '95 SE, but the quality of parts is much better on the Nissan. The Jetta went thru 4 exhaust systems, 2 rads and a bunch of other stuff in its time. The Nissan is my 6th vehicle and I bought it used and it is definitely not a clunker! Now that the maintanence is up to date, I'm planning on driving this for the next 10 years and hope to surpass the VW's mileage. Nissan created an easy to maintain, solid and reliable vehicle with the notable exceptions of the exhaust manifold studs, oil filter location, AT cooler, headlight wiring and frame rust. Get this stuff sorted and you've got a good rig. Some people complain about the fuel economy and I agree it could be better, but like others said before.....it's paid for, it's mine, and I'm not making payments on some plastic bumpered rig that is costing me half my paycheque to insure. Just my 5 (Canadian) cents.

1. Part quality is top notch other than the crappy factory exhaust

2. You can drive this truck for a long time if you watch the trouble spots which are very few

3. It is capable and it looks awesome even in stock form

4. It is a no fat truck with lots of interior space

5. It is easy to fix by yourself

6. You only need 1 catalytic converter and 1 working EGR valve to pass any state smog check

7. The gas mileage is amazing for an SUV like this

8. This truck can go faster than most cars on the road

I don't know about averyone else, but mine does exactly what I wnat , when I want and it doesn't piss and moan a lot about it. It starts better then newer cars; runs better than newer cars, and, resonds better than newer cars. When it kicks up a fuss, I can tell exactly whats wrong. And, my ORIGINAL O2 sensor is stil in perfect working order, even with burnt off insulation and 303k km on the engine(I KNOW)!!

Best off all. I was looking at her tonite from my balcony, and man is she pretty; I want to say I'm gonna drive her forever, but wouldn't be surprised if I actually do.

Love...is a many spenldoured(splendored for USAese) thing. Or maybe, it's just a 2-door Pathfinder

I got a deal. I've had a Cherokee for years. It worked, but I was over throwing money at it. Basically I need a 4x4 doghouse to go to work, so when I found this I was happy. I've had a Datsun in the driveway for 25 years. I payed $350, put $700 in it, and plan on haveing it many years. I love it. It does it all.

I got a deal. I've had a Cherokee for years. It worked, but I was over throwing money at it. Basically I need a 4x4 doghouse to go to work, so when I found this I was happy. I've had a Datsun in the driveway for 25 years. I payed $350, put $700 and some sweat in it, and plan on haveing it many years. I love it. It does it all.

• 1 year later...

Oh, I'm loving this thread. I get asked constantly why I still drive that piece of old junk. How can expect a 16 year old thing to not cost me money. How can afford to keep such an old thing on the road......

Here you guys are with all the answers, and I don't feel so alone any more. Here is ZA we do not have emission restrictions and I can get away with a lot more stuff than you guys can (although we don't because I think we are too conservative or just lack the ball size).

My Truck is based on the 1995 WD21 you guys had in the US. 70% of the body was not even built by Nissan, but by a coach building company and is made of a composite fibreglass, carbon fibre and resin mix. So I can add the point to the list that mine also does not rust :aok: .

Then they want to tell me that without all the cats and DPF and modern gadgets, my truck is no good for the environment. Well guess what, the modern car is designed to be recycled every 5 years. Each new car creates a lovely sized carbon footprint. So I have had mine for 16 years, that is 2 new cars carbon footprints I have saved the world of. I have recycled my vehicle twice now with no additional damage to the planet. Besides that, I periodically run (when it works) HHO. On top of that I run my diesel on old cooking oil, recycled from the corner fast food joint.

You want to test my exhaust and see how bad my truck is for mother earth. You are in for a big surprise. I have actually spent time in a closed garage with my truck running, and besides building an appetite from burning the old cooking oil, I'm very much alive and well.

My fuel consumption is not too bad at just under 10Km to the litre.

Truck's paid for and actually has a tool box in the back that I can use on it. My brother-in-law has one of these new fan dangle Jeeps that only came with one tool, roadside assist and maintenance plan.

My truck was not the one that caused pandemonium on a steep 15km mountain pass going downhill when the auto levelling system decided to pull the rear wheels so deep into the wheel arches that they could not even turn any more (Discovery3).

I also love my truck to bits, he has personality, I understand him and know exactly what and where to look for problems when he "groans". I have had him for 7 years now and not once been mad at myself for buying him.

My dirty old man....

2010-02-28_054123_PICT0001.JPG

2009-07-02_145609_Photo0116.jpg

• Like 1

I guess mine doesn't count as a 'clunker', it's a much newer '90 model :laugh:

The old beast does everything I want, and for the life of me I can't find anything better . All the new stuff is either too big (Patrol/safari and Cruiser) and/or just too piss weak. There's no way the newer stuff would take what mine's been through....

My old 88 cluncker with 240,000 miles on it just passed smog today here in California, and next month we're going on a 2000 mile trip in it to Nv. Co. NM Az and bsck home, ain't old clunckers great :D

• Like 1

I drive my 94 because I couldn't find another hardbody to replace my old one, when the pf became available to me from a buddy for $500 knowing it needed an engine I bought it. Plus having no payments and lower insurance compared to a new vehicle is nice too. I always tell my buddies who have payments that even if I have to do a major repair it usually is still less than one of their payments. I

also like how older vehicles are easier to work on and less computer controlled than newer ones, and parts are regularly available at the junk yards.

Door dings? Hah! Want to throw the wet slip and slide in the back? Do it! Pile it to the roof with my tools and saws, NP. The thing works, kids like dancing on the hood, do that on a new truck!

• Like 1

It plows snow that goes up to my knees where my Jeep gets stuck.

It just goes and goes, period.

It won't die.

Blown radiators. (3)

Up to three years without an oil change.

Valve job once, and it's still ticking at 232k miles.

Besides, it does a decent job at pulling my real toy during summer and spring.