Discontinuing Manual Transmissions

Nytrosfinder

I doubt it would ever completely die, at least not with any of the "true" sports cars out there. Though I think there are quite a few commuter class and mini-vans that are auto only.

I do think it is funny that Car & Driver is making a deal of it, they and other car mags are to blame for all cars getting dumbed down and softened up.

I do think it is funny that Car & Driver is making a deal of it, they and other car mags are to blame for all cars getting dumbed down and softened up.

:aok:

And between true sports cars (as GG said) and work horses, the correct # of pedals under the dash will never completly die

about 4 years ago...getting a manual was an option u paid extra for....my 08 taco i paid sticker for a 2010 automatic just b/c it had a manual...when i signed the papers 4 people came in trying to pay more than what i did from as far as 400 miles away....that right there says something...

1/2 of what is behind this is too much traffic; driving a stick in extended commuter traffic gets real old. The other 1/2 is that people are becomming incredibly lazy; driving a stick is unnecessary work, not to mention the "it's too hard" whine.

B

There isnt a half ton out there that you can buy with a stick any more,gm,ford and dodge all have autos eexcept in the bigger trucks.And half the time the autos get better mpg then sticks anyway,since there over drive gear is taller(ford 5speed .74,ford auto .68)

There isnt a half ton out there that you can buy with a stick any more,gm,ford and dodge all have autos eexcept in the bigger trucks.And half the time the autos get better mpg then sticks anyway,since there over drive gear is taller(ford 5speed .74,ford auto .68)

Also in those trucks the autos are set to make the most of the gearing, which helps the mileage.

Cars are becoming more like appliances than they are cars. People don't "drive" like they used to. It's no longer an American past time, at least not how it used to be.

A reason for that is because "its bad for the environment so we should drive as little as possible". Like george carlin says the planet is fine it's the people that are fskced.

5-speeds make it hard to text.

:rofl:

Absolutely true...

It took some work to find my 5-speed Pathy and that was back in 97. Personally, i hate automatics. I like the hard lock between engine and drive line you get with the manual transmission....better speed control without touching the brakes. Also, they never seem to shift down when I think they should. I often find myself yanking the auto shifter into a lower gear.

i dont know how to drive automatic... :shrug:

i love drivin stick. i do a lot of mountain driving because i snowboard all winter and its the best when im goin up with my buddys in there v6 rangers/tacomas and i smoke them in my 4 banger s10 because i can down shift :jig:

every single one of my vehicles has been stick Except for my explorer on 35’s (I miss that thing). But I do wish I had an automatic every single weekday when I drive 45 min home from work in bumper to bumper LA traffic :rant2:

but yeah the new automatics are getting pretty damn fancy and getting better gas milage then the 5 speed. back in the day most people would never believe that!!!

Edited by pathblazin420

Texting and Driving is pointless... I watched someone next to me run into the back of another car cause she was texting. I think that manual transmissions are the way to go and should be a tax write off cause they are more fuel efficient!