anyone know a way to fix seatbelts so they retract?

ahardb0dy

Sounds good to me. What's the part number for the kit, if you wouldn't mind looking it up? Not sure if Courtesy Parts would have it listed. I guess I could check Nissan FAST, but I'm not sure how to use that too well, the interface is something straight out of 1993.

Edited by Towncivilian

Excellent, thanks. I'll buy one at the local dealership and report back with price and results; I've got to head up there anyway to return some ungodly expensive gear oil ($13.95/qt... no idea why the hell I bought fluids at Nissan!) and get something better and significantly cheaper.

Excellent, thanks. I'll buy one at the local dealership and report back with price and results; I've got to head up there anyway to return some ungodly expensive gear oil ($13.95/qt... no idea why the hell I bought fluids at Nissan!) and get something better and significantly cheaper.

Without being there, seeing the issues, etc I say they are blowing smoke. I would suspect that becasue this warranty is so old now and so rarely done that some dealers may not want to mess with it for fear of the warranty claim being rejected by Nissan. They are just rying to cover all their bases.

I would call 1-800-NISSAN1 and explain your situation to them. Not retracting is unsafe and can cause the belts to fail in a crash.

Calling this number may fix the issue with your dealer.

Alternately, try another dealer.

Edited by Alkorahil

I could record a video if you would like to see my specific issue. But I think I'll still try cleaning it first; if that doesn't work, then I think they have to take it as a warranty claim, but who knows, they might say something about the possibility of me not doing the procedure properly or something and try to deny me.

I could record a video if you would like to see my specific issue. But I think I'll still try cleaning it first; if that doesn't work, then I think they have to take it as a warranty claim, but who knows, they might say something about the possibility of me not doing the procedure properly or something and try to deny me.

Looks like you have a 2001....If your seat belt does not immediately and fully retract by your simply unbuckling it....then it is covered...for life of the vehicle. Think about it this way...if it doesn't do that...then when you buckle up there is a chance the shoulder strap won't snug up close to you and therefore won't function properly in an accident. They should fix it without any question or hassle..but seems hassle is all you are getting from them. Call the Nissan number....that dealer is totally full of it...You should not have to clean it to keep it working properly....unless they can show you where that is the maintenance schedule... :thumbsdown: good luck.

Edited by piste

Looks like you have a 2001....If your seat belt does not immediately and fully retract by your simply unbuckling it....then it is covered...for life of the vehicle. Think about it this way...if it doesn't do that...then when you buckle up there is a chance the shoulder strap won't snug up close to you and therefore won't function properly in an accident. They should fix it without any question or hassle..but seems hassle is all you are getting from them. Call the Nissan number....that dealer is totally full of it...You should not have to clean it to keep it working properly....unless they can show you where that is the maintenance schedule... :thumbsdown: good luck.

Alright, I'll call Nissan tomorrow I think and see what they say first.

The dealers around me (the 2 I went to) said to clean the D rings first and then come back if it didn't work. They said it is covered but they told me they didn't know if they could still get the parts, they said "well a 95 is pretty old, they probably don't even make them anymore". Considering it is "lifetime" warranty you'd think they would still have to produce them....wtf

The dealers around me (the 2 I went to) said to clean the D rings first and then come back if it didn't work. They said it is covered but they told me they didn't know if they could still get the parts, they said "well a 95 is pretty old, they probably don't even make them anymore". Considering it is "lifetime" warranty you'd think they would still have to produce them....wtf

Ok. Well just tell them to put all that in writing...so in case you can't get to the cleaning for a while and you are in a serious accident resulting in injuries exacerbated by a loose shoulder belt....you will know where to send your lawyers!! Not wishing you any ill well whatsoever...just trying to help your cause with a less than helpful dealer.

• 3 months later...

I discussed this issue with a different service adviser at my local dealership. He said that they must try cleaning first, but also said that cleaning never worked to fix this problem. So he agreed to do the warranty work to fix my seatbelts not retracting and skip the cleaning attempt. I will set up an appointment for after May 16th so I can get the seatbelt work done plus the anti-corrosion sealant applied for the driver's side strut (new recall) assuming I'm affected.

Edited by Towncivilian

• 4 weeks later...

Got seatbelt assemblies replaced today. They retract perfectly now, and even pulling them out to buckle is smooth as silk. The dealer had to try the D-ring cleaning kit first, but the charge for that was waived. It didn't help at all, so the service adviser ordered the seatbelt assemblies. One arrived on Monday, the other today. It took them two hours to replace both seatbelts. I noticed that on the invoice I signed the total charge would be something like $652, but luckily warranty kicked in.

All I want to say is that D-ring stuff is bull@!*%. The seat belts become slow because the retracting mechanism becomes lazy.

Damn right, the service adviser even said that the D-ring kit never helped *any* seatbelt they've used it on. I did not notice one iota of improvement after cleaning. They only had to do it to get the warranty claim. Luckily they did it for free this time around. Previously one of the service advisers said it'd cost $90 to do the cleaning. Dunno why he changed his mind, I guess since I'm a frequent customer. :happy:

Forgot to mention that both of my new front seatbelts were manufactured in 2010 by the same company that manufactured the originals. Rear seats are still functioning fine, mfg. date for those is 2000.

Edited by Towncivilian

• 6 months later...

OK, to resuscitate this old thread . . .

I actually did fix my lazy non-retracting seatbelts without taking it to a dealership. Primarily because its a 1992 JDM import Terrano so wouldn't be covered under warranty in North America anyway, and besides, if you can fix it your self . . . :crossedwires:

So, after completely removing the whole right-hand-side (that's driver's side on a Japanese vehicle) seatbelt assembly, I first cleaned up the slot in the upper hanger with some ultra-fine grit sandpaper. Lubed that with a light spray of silicone lube. Did the same for the main slot on the winding mechanism and the little plastic guide clip that the seatbelt threads through halfway down and hidden behind the panel I had to remove to get the assembly out.

Next I lubricated the spring. The winding assembly has two plastic covers on either end, both marked "do not remove". One is the locking mechanism, and the other with the little dust cover contains the winding spring. After prying off the dust cover with a knife, the central part of the spring was exposed with no risk of it uncoiling or popping out. I gave this a healthy dose of silicone lube as well and replaced the dust cap, then pulled out the belt and let it retract a few times. Hard to do with the belt assembly removed as it keeps locking.

The next stage was the most fiddly but resulted in the best fix. As the spring still seemed rather "lazy" I chose to give it a few more windings. Holding the winding assembly perfectly upright so that the belt would not lock, I unspooled all the belt to expose the spindle in the middle. The end of the belt is a loop threaded through a slot in the spindle and held in place by a plastic bar through the loop. While holding the spindle to stop it rotating under force from the spring, I pushed the belt forward out of the slot with a flat-head screwdriver and pulled the plastic retaining bar out of the loop. I then pulled the belt back out of the spindle entirely. Obviously its important to not let go of the spindle at this stage!!

I then gave the spindle 4 more extra rotations in the direction of unwinding the belt to add a bit more tension to the tired 20 year old spring. Then re-threaded the belt loop through the slot and reinstalled the retainer bar, tugged the belt tight in the slot - and let go. And she rolled right up no problem!

After reinstalling the whole assembly, the seatbelt works great now. Not exactly like new, but it retracts speedily enough and doesn't get caught in the door. May give the spring a couple more turns next time I'm removing plastic panels from around there, just to give it a bit more zip. But it certainly works!

• Like 1

Anyone have success with dealer doing a "free" replacement? I have the same seat belt problem. I'm aware of a TSB...but not of any broad formal recall or availability of any free replacement. Anything's possible I suppose if one asks the dealer. But being as they are stealerships....I'm sceptical and curious if anyone has had their's replaced free...and if so...any special tactics on how one "asks" for it from the dealer...ie. a recall I don't know about...or how to push back when they say no.

I took my 95 Pathy into a dealer in Long Beach, CA in about 2006/07 and they replaced one rear seatbelt. It wasn't retracting at all, no matter what I did. At first, a guy said they'd do it for free while I waited, then another guy came out and said "it would be $100", and I said "no it won't" and then the first guy came back and said "it's done, it's free"....

OK, to resuscitate this old thread . . .

I actually did fix my lazy non-retracting seatbelts without taking it to a dealership. Primarily because its a 1992 JDM import Terrano so wouldn't be covered under warranty in North America anyway, and besides, if you can fix it your self . . . :crossedwires:

So, after completely removing the whole right-hand-side (that's driver's side on a Japanese vehicle) seatbelt assembly, I first cleaned up the slot in the upper hanger with some ultra-fine grit sandpaper. Lubed that with a light spray of silicone lube. Did the same for the main slot on the winding mechanism and the little plastic guide clip that the seatbelt threads through halfway down and hidden behind the panel I had to remove to get the assembly out.

Next I lubricated the spring. The winding assembly has two plastic covers on either end, both marked "do not remove". One is the locking mechanism, and the other with the little dust cover contains the winding spring. After prying off the dust cover with a knife, the central part of the spring was exposed with no risk of it uncoiling or popping out. I gave this a healthy dose of silicone lube as well and replaced the dust cap, then pulled out the belt and let it retract a few times. Hard to do with the belt assembly removed as it keeps locking.

The next stage was the most fiddly but resulted in the best fix. As the spring still seemed rather "lazy" I chose to give it a few more windings. Holding the winding assembly perfectly upright so that the belt would not lock, I unspooled all the belt to expose the spindle in the middle. The end of the belt is a loop threaded through a slot in the spindle and held in place by a plastic bar through the loop. While holding the spindle to stop it rotating under force from the spring, I pushed the belt forward out of the slot with a flat-head screwdriver and pulled the plastic retaining bar out of the loop. I then pulled the belt back out of the spindle entirely. Obviously its important to not let go of the spindle at this stage!!

I then gave the spindle 4 more extra rotations in the direction of unwinding the belt to add a bit more tension to the tired 20 year old spring. Then re-threaded the belt loop through the slot and reinstalled the retainer bar, tugged the belt tight in the slot - and let go. And she rolled right up no problem!

After reinstalling the whole assembly, the seatbelt works great now. Not exactly like new, but it retracts speedily enough and doesn't get caught in the door. May give the spring a couple more turns next time I'm removing plastic panels from around there, just to give it a bit more zip. But it certainly works!

Nice work, sounds like a B!$@%...... :crossedwires:

• 2 months later...

I went to a dealership in Atlanta this morning to have my front seat belts inspected since they do not retract properly. I mentioned the warranty up front over the phone when I made the appointment to let them know that was why I was bringing it to them. After the technicians looked over the car for a few minutes, I have new seat belts on order completely covered under the warranty! PS, they looked into doing the d-ring fix but didn't believe it would help since the issue was with the retraction mechanisms and not d-ring build up.

Thanks guys!

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread, but I felt it would be silly to make a new one. Does anyone know definitively whether the lifetime seatbelt warranty also applies to Canadian vehicles? I know it is valid in the states, but I was wondering about up here in Canada.

And it seems the seatbelt problems are common... I thought I was the only one with lazy seatbelts :laugh:

I have one as well. I meant to ask at the dealers when I got my strut housing done under recall but was so happy they saved the truck, I forgot all about it.

Check the Warranty Book with your Canadian Owners manual for the warranty information to see what it says. The US owners manual have a seperate section for the seatbelt warranty.

• 3 months later...

Just a update on this thread. Took my 95 to my local dealer (Moore Nissan) this past Saturday and they have ordered two new front seatbelt assemblies. Waiting for them to come in and be replaced. Showed the dealer the warranty in the owners manual and they said no problem. Even offered a free rental if I couldn't wait while they replaced them. Hopefully I can get them replaced this weekend and I'll update you guys