anyone cut the roof off?

wednesday night I'm lopping the roof off of my 95 pathfinder. we plan on putting in a full "jeep style" cage in it for dune running.

we wanna slice it off leaving the windshield there with its front pillars and about 4" of the roofline across the top. were going to slice it down the sides at window height along that body line. were going to remove the window glass first. were prolly going to weld the tailgate in place, or use something to latch the tops, like on a pickup or something.

the only part im a lil curious about is cutting under the rear door handles on the pillar. is that going to affect how the interior door handle operates if the outer door handle is suddenly missing and the linkages arent hooked up? I still want the doors to open and close for now at this stage of the build.

Ill post before and after pics.

any advice before I start?

Have some 2x4's Laying around to reinforce the cab cause you will be removing a main structure component so the sides dont fold or flex much...

Beer and Power tools are bad news...

Having a Fire extinguisher around never hurts...

Make sure there are no electrical components running in the area you are cutting...

If your dealing with electricity at all... remove the negative battery cable... Wouldn't believe how many problems come from this simple mistake...

Have some 2x4's Laying around to reinforce the cab cause you will be removing a main structure component so the sides dont fold or flex much...

Beer and Power tools are bad news...

Having a Fire extinguisher around never hurts...

Make sure there are no electrical components running in the area you are cutting...

If your dealing with electricity at all... remove the negative battery cable... Wouldn't believe how many problems come from this simple mistake...

AMEN to EVERYTHING he said...lol

Someone earlier this summer (I think) posted some pictures of their chop top pathy, can't remember if it was a two or four door though....shrug.gif Maybe someone else will remember it better and chime in to who it was

its mourningwould and its a 2 door, if i'm not mistaken

I've seen it done a 2 door before. Looked pretty sweet. Never seen or, thought about, doing it to a 4 door. Take pics if/when you do it.

I will post pics for sure! thanks for the advice and info. the 2-door pics are sorta close to what I'm thinking, but mine will have no roof at all when its done.

also, in searching on here for "roof" i get a lot of people looking for roof racks and spoilers and sunroof glass. all of which I will have leftover if theres anyone out there that wants to make an offer, lemme know! Ill also have a rear lift glass and the lifters.

ive done 2 chop tops in my life time. 4 inch chop on chrysler 300 (you can see it on www.socalcustoms.com) and a 6 inch chop on a silverado.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS THE BRACING!!!

Before you even make your first cut reinforce the @!*% out of it. make an x brace going from all 4 corners and a couple vertical pieces to hold the x brace

it is gonna be a lil easier since ur not putting the roof back on but you still want to keep prefect geometry or @!*% will hit the fan once u take if off road

let me see if i can find some pics to show u

ive done 2 chop tops in my life time. 4 inch chop on chrysler 300 (you can see it on www.socalcustoms.com) and a 6 inch chop on a silverado.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS THE BRACING!!!

Before you even make your first cut reinforce the @!*% out of it. make an x brace going from all 4 corners and a couple vertical pieces to hold the x brace

it is gonna be a lil easier since ur not putting the roof back on but you still want to keep prefect geometry or @!*% will hit the fan once u take if off road

let me see if i can find some pics to show u

"Chop top" around here means lobbing a section of roof off complety, not lowerign the roof line man (all though bracing is just as important):aok:

all the chops I can rememeber are just back halfed, either the big window area of 2 doors leaving the triangle window area or just the non-doored section of 4 doors makign them like little chumpy Avalanche lookin things. Oh and I think a pic in poho somewhere of a car50 thats completly topless.

hahaha thats bitchin man.

did all 4 of u cruise around in it like some red neck convertible kinda @!*%? not callin u a red neck or anything but it just seems funny to me

get started on the cage now!

actually, I do now, its a heck of a delivery vehicle. were capping off all the pillars this weekend and adding the cage soon after.

I'da personally left a little more door up the side of the windshield, just me.

truck2.jpg

why is dude chewing on his wrist? His helmet fall off and run out of ice cream? :rofl:

:jk: of course

yep. its street legal as is. it still has all its lights and signals. and in Oregon you don't even need a windshield. BUT you do have to have working windshield wipers, whether you have a windshield or not.

wtf is the point of having wipers without a windsheild? to wiper yer face? :blink:

:rofl:

I cannot even imagine the scenario where this law came into play. like maybe the madatory wipers law came out before cars like jeeps with removable fold down windows came out, then they were like, ok, so i guess you dont need a window. but then never got around to rewriting the law about wipers. I dunno.

Looks good man

And it's probably just a semantics issue. They probably put legislation in to place to require vehicles to have windshield wipers but made it all encompassing ("All vehicles must have operating windshield wipers"). The windshield legislation is probably separate and includes exceptions.