top speed of tbi model

shooter

im lucky to even see 75, to tell the truth with the gearing in the older models (well my year atleast) they wont get up to fast or to a high speed... If they had an overdrive unit or another gearset inside the main cluster of the trans they might respond better and travel faster... I have been trying to find a different trans that will mate up and get better fuel economy

I had my 87 Hardbody with the TBI up to 105, got pulled over to no ticket !! but it was going down a big hill, automatic with 4.62 gears can't recall the tire size

Edited by ahardb0dy

the fact is, not amount of gear ratios will help these tired engines over a certain speed. they may help down low and they may improve economy.

If your asking about a governor to limit the top speed the w/d21 pathfinders and hardbodies Have none. Also a misconception some ppl have is that the numbers on the speedo indicate top speed.... I seen cars that can't get within 30mph of that speed(140) and I've seen trucks peg the needle and keep accelerating(90).

MY TBI has been over 105 before I decided to let off the gas.

Some people here must have really tired engines. I have to watch myself or I will "merge" with freeway traffic at 80+. And that's with an MPFI truck with 198,000 miles and an auto with the 4.6 gears. But I'm not sure if I would feel safe going any faster than 90 in it...

Some people here must have really tired engines. I have to watch myself or I will "merge" with freeway traffic at 80+. And that's with an MPFI truck with 198,000 miles and an auto with the 4.6 gears. But I'm not sure if I would feel safe going any faster than 90 in it...

Some people haven't exactly held it to the wood to see where it tops out either though WAVEY

ability to whip through congested traffic come far more in handy than top speed here, I'd rather know every inch of how I'm gonna handle than know I can hit 102 mph and never be able to get it there since I'm gonna hit traffic before I can even get a decent run through 5th gear

I've noticed a lot of people say their rigs get a little scary at high speeds, I don't notice it at all. It's harder to reach high speeds because the torque curve falls off pretty quickly.

Mine went 112mph (GPS verified) when it was still on 31s. It took a long time to get there and slowed very rapidly when I let off the gas! My torque curve is moved up a bit as I've got Z31 heads on it. With comparable tire size and gearing my Pathy is just slightly quicker than a stock MPFI model, like a truck length to 60mph. With the 33s it gets really 'floaty' at about 90 so I don't think I'll be top speed testing it again! :skull:

My torque curve is moved up a bit as I've got Z31 heads on it.

I thought z31 heads were the same. Care to highlight the differances since I am sure you have been into many VG's...