interlock switch

shooter

What would be an example of when you would need the interlock switch to be ativated? I have never used it on my 89 but it still works. I can activate the starter with the clutch out? What for? Have never seen that on any other vehicle I don't think.

leave the truck in gear and use the starter to crawl yourself over somethin, or the clutch safty switch goes bad you can override and still start. (I also use it when catching in gear to start, don't know if it's "needed" for it, but I use it)

I use it almost everytime I start the truck. Start it, then run around and throw items in, pull up antenna, etc. Give it a sec for the idle to come down before I drive off. I love it and wish it was on all vehicles.

Huh? You don't need the interlock switch to do that.. Transmission out of gear, E-brake engaged.

I can reach in through my window and start mine as well. I thought 5 speeds were for people who weren't lazy? ;)

I'd own an automatic then, they're for people with short atention spans that get bored quickly turning the key and pulling the lever down 3 clicks...

I'd own an automatic then, they're for people with short atention spans that get bored quickly turning the key and pulling the lever down 3 clicks...

my attention span is just fine. it's a truck, not a sports car.

my attention span is just fine. it's a truck, not a sports car.

I meant it more along the line as a joke against me... I'm lazy yet prefer 5 speed anyday over automatic

• 2 weeks later...

read all the posts and dont quite understand what the interlock switch does... :unsure:

Say you're stuck going up a hill, while you're wheelin. Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, gear in 1st, click the interlock switch with the ignition on and start the truck while you're giving it gas and feathering the brake. That will keep you from rolling backward anymore.When the truck starts let off brake of course. Just gives you more control because it frees up your left foot from being on the clutch. Main thing is it gives you the option to keep that foot on the brake.

Edited by 1988pathfinderoffroad
  • Like 1

Say you're stuck going up a hill, while you're wheelin. Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, gear in 1st, click the interlock switch with the ignition on and start the truck while you're giving it gas and feathering the brake. That will keep you from rolling backward anymore.When the truck starts let off brake of course. Just gives you more control because it frees up your left foot from being on the clutch. Main thing is it gives you the option to keep that foot on the brake.

oh, sweet. the explanation i was looking for. :beer: to you good sir.

It bypassed the neutral safety switch so you can make the starter turn with out pushing the clutch in.

That's how it should be. It's just that people are becoming so stuipid that auto makers need to add an extreme amount of features to save people from themselves in their own vehicle.

I need to bypass mine. My legs are too short to sit comfortably and depress the pedal to the floor to start the truck, so I have to slide way down in my seat and get comfortable again. That and the position of the interlock switch is stupid. It needs to be on the left side of the steering wheel, not the right.