Terrano Talk converter lock problem.

nasa

Ok Guys I have a new problem.

Terrano WD21 2.7 turbo diesel automatic. ( Wonderful little 4x4 when its going )

Problem has always been the talk converter lock dropping out whenever it wants.

I have found which wire from the Automatic transmission Controller leads to the lock-up solenoid ,and cut it. I have fed 12 volt straight to the solenoid while driving and this locks her up well. So I have eliminated the solenoid as the problem. At first I thought it was a temperature issue because it always locks up first thing for about 20 seconds . However with further investigation I have discovered that it is not temperature related because if I stop the vehicle moving and start again it will still not lock-up because you have had your 20 seconds so to speak. However if you stop and turn the ignition off and on again it will then lock up for another 20 or so seconds regardless of temperature.

Every time you turn the ignition off and on it will give you another 20 seconds of lock up. The manual indicates check the speed sender circuit, so I located the wire from its brain ( ATC ) and cut it off then it would not give me second just crawled along in first.

I have been battling this problem now for about 3 years. I am just about to give it a full lobotomy. When I first turn the ignition on I get the 2 second light and then 16 short blinks.

Any ideas Guys.

HINT = taco doesn’t work..

Nasa.

• Like 1

Terrano WD21 2.7 turbo diesel automatic.

When I first turn the ignition on I get the 2 second light and then 16 short blinks.

16 short blinks are A/T fault indication, like a "Check Engine" lamp.

Try to run A/T self-diagnostic procedure. AFAIK, you can start it with next step by step sequence:

1) Start engine, warm to normal temperature.

2) Set ignition key to "OFF".

3) Set A/T Mode switch (Power/Auto/Hold) to "Auto" (middle position).

4) Set O/D switch to "ON".

5) Move A/T selector to "P".

6) Set ignition key to "ACC" (A/T mode switch lamp will lit for 2 second).

7) Move A/T selector to "D".

8) Set ignition key to "ON" (do not start engine!).

9) Set O/D switch to "OFF".

10) Set ignition key to "OFF".

11) Set ignition key to "ON" (do not start engine!). Wait for 2-4 seconds.

12) Move A/T selector to "2".

13) Set O/D switch to "ON".

14) Move A/T selector to "1".

15) Set O/D switch to "OFF".

16) Depress accelerator pedal to floor, then release it.

17) Look at A/T mode switch lamp. It should start blinking. First one long blink (opening sequence), then 10 short blinks (if all systems are OK). Faulty system will be shown with long blink in 10-blink sequence.

Fault code list (blink number - fault location):

1 - VSS transmission circuit open or shorted

2 - VSS speedometer circuit open or shorted

3 - TPS open or shorted

4 - Shift Solenoid A circuit open or shorted

5 - Shift Solenoid B circuit open or shorted

6 - 3-2 Solenoid or Overrun Solenoid circuit open or shorted

7 - LU solenoid circuit open or shorted

8 - ATF temperature circuit open or shorted

9 - Engine RPM circuit open or shorted

10 - Line Pressure Solenoid open or shorted

For example, if you see 2nd and 9th blinks are longer then other, you have VSS speedometer sensor circuit and engine RPM sensor circuit malfunctions.

Update to problem.

I must have tried that self diagnostic procedure a hundred times.

No matter what I do even when I make mistakes it will just give me a two second blink at the start and then 16 short blinks.

I have a manual but it has the diagnostic lights on the ECM and mine are on the dash. I also have located all wires going into and out of the AC brain.

If I feed 12 volts straight to the talk lock solenoid it works fine.

According to the manual this problem of talk lock dropping out after 30 seconds would occur if wire number 25 ( the engine speed wire ) was incorrect.

The manual says it should be 9/12 volt with ignition . Mine has no voltage at all.

So I am trying to locate where the voltage for this wire would originate from. I have tried a rev sensor that is located at the timing cover but this checks out to be producing an increasing voltage with engine revs just like the manual says.

I am now suspecting that the taco and the engine speed for the AT brain may work off something else as well and that that sensor under the timing cover is just a engine speed sensor for the EGR system.

Any ideas where the wire (25) that is supposed to be feeding 12 volt to the AT controller is supposed to be getting this voltage from .

The manual showers it connected to the ECM but the ECM must be getting its information from somewhere..

The other ting is that the manual mentions a limp-home mode where if something goes wrong the vehicle goes into limp-home mode it also says that the light would give an eight second warning that this mode is engaged. It could be that my 16 short blinks are an actually 8 second warning although it actually blinks for 10 secs. But the manual says that this would be turned off if you shut the ignition for 3 seconds but I get this warning all the time.

But it dose make one think if that has something to do with why the talk converter lock works again after you shut down the ignition.

Its like the talk converter lock will lock up every time the ignition has been shut down but it will only last for about 20 seconds.

The manual says if the talk converter drops out after 30 second look to this wire number (25) at the AT controller ... mine had no volatge but I dont know where it is supposed to be getting the voltage from..

I have had the same problem... and fixed it.

The problem was the engine revolution signal not reaching the autotrans computer.

The engine speed sensor signal is an AC signal that is sent to the engine computer(yes you terrano has an engine ECU)This computer is located in the rear boot area behind the panels on the left hand side.

The engine computer converts the AC signal to a varying DC voltage signal that is then sent to the Autotrans computer that is located on the drivers side in the rear boot area.

If the dc signal does not reach the Auto trans computer it will not lock up the torque converter( the tacho will probably not work either as that receives the same signal).

Replacing the ECU cured the problem and the Auto trans always locks up (note the lock up won't work until the AT reaches operating temp- 5 mins or so.) The engine ECU will have a part number similar to 23710-63G70 or 2371M-63G70 or similar --good luck.

Ok Guys I have a new problem.

Terrano WD21 2.7 turbo diesel automatic. ( Wonderful little 4x4 when its going )

Problem has always been the talk converter lock dropping out whenever it wants.

I have found which wire from the Automatic transmission Controller leads to the lock-up solenoid ,and cut it. I have fed 12 volt straight to the solenoid while driving and this locks her up well. So I have eliminated the solenoid as the problem. At first I thought it was a temperature issue because it always locks up first thing for about 20 seconds . However with further investigation I have discovered that it is not temperature related because if I stop the vehicle moving and start again it will still not lock-up because you have had your 20 seconds so to speak. However if you stop and turn the ignition off and on again it will then lock up for another 20 or so seconds regardless of temperature.

Every time you turn the ignition off and on it will give you another 20 seconds of lock up. The manual indicates check the speed sender circuit, so I located the wire from its brain ( ATC ) and cut it off then it would not give me second just crawled along in first.

I have been battling this problem now for about 3 years. I am just about to give it a full lobotomy. When I first turn the ignition on I get the 2 second light and then 16 short blinks.

Any ideas Guys.

HINT = taco doesn’t work..

Nasa.

I have already got one mate the WD21 manual, Thanks for offer.