The gun topic(not that gun buddy)

nismothunder

It's like a 22 cause it is a 22, just with more powder, thats why in the civilian worlds is the.223 caliber...

you can get automatic rifles in arizona, you just have to purchase a tax stamp to own it, and find it to buy it. Actually saw one for sale at a flea market once.

Just stop by Scottsdale Gun Club one day and you can see a whole bunch. They have silencers for sale there too.

I love to shoot don't get me wrong - but I fail to see why people need to buy silencers for their weapons.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stop by Scottsdale Gun Club one day and you can see a whole bunch. They have silencers for sale there too.

I love to shoot don't get me wrong - but I fail to see why people need to buy silencers for their weapons.

There is one reason to quiet a gun. One. And that's so the neighbors don't know.

i gotta agree with kail, i dont see any real need for a silencer other than to hide your gunshots from nearby could-be witnesses. unless they have new dB regulations at the firing range? haha

Edited by Eyehategod310

i totally agree with those rules, this guy broke rule number 1. I was told he was trying to stuff his gun in his soft gun case, and Bang!

You can't fix stupid!

There is one reason to quiet a gun. One. And that's so the neighbors don't know.

Or so that you don't annoy the neighbors. It makes more sense to quiet the source of the noise rather than everyone where hearing protection.

It would be like taking the muffler off your car and expecting everyone to where hearing protection.

James

Edited by JamesRich

You can't silence my mosin.

Yeah,but when somebuddy hears they already have there brains on the wall.

Theres not really a point for a silencer but that doesnt mean there not cool.I personally had a silenced 410 singal shot.I had to replace bottles ever other shot but it was pretty quite but its really a hamper on most guns.

Let's call silencers what they really are- Suppressors. They don't silence most guns. a 5.56mm NATO round fired through a silenced gun is just less loud. SWAT teams run them indoors to keep from going deaf. The idea that a gun can be silenced entirely to a "thwip" is strictly hollyweird.

Subsonic .22 can be made virtually silent along with the MP5 integrated with 9mm subsonic, the bolt rattle makes more noise than the muzzle.

Generally, you are correct though.

B

Subsonic .22 can be made virtually silent along with the MP5 integrated with 9mm subsonic, the bolt rattle makes more noise than the muzzle.

Generally, you are correct though.

B

Yes,but when your talking about subsonic rounds its like shotting a bb gun.The effective range goes down a ton.They wont break the skin at 100yards from a 9mm.But yeah,theres draw backs in everything.

Yes,but when your talking about subsonic rounds its like shotting a bb gun.The effective range goes down a ton.They wont break the skin at 100yards from a 9mm.But yeah,theres draw backs in everything.

Subsonic velocity is not that slow. A standard 230 grain 45acp runs around 850fps. I promise you that will break the skin at 100 yards or more. James bonds famous PPK shot 32 acp which was a 70 grain fmj at 900fps. The soviet military carried Makarov pistol in 9x18 which is a little more powerful than a 380acp (9x17). 9x18 pushed a 95 grain fmj at 1050fps. The 9mm you refer to (9x19mm) standard load is 115 grain fmj at 1300fps. Speed of sound is 1125 fps so you don't have to slow a bullet down very much to make it subsonic.

If you still believe it wont break the skin at 100 yards we can let you be the test subject at 200 yards and lets see what happens.

James

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Well said...

The soviet military carried Makarov pistol in 9x18 which is a little more powerful than a 380acp (9x17). 9x18 pushed a 95 grain fmj at 1050fps.

Yep, I own one. Great little pistol, built to last and with the fixed 3.8" barrel, it is as accurate as a 4" revolver although the sights are lacking. I have consistantly outshot my buddy with his ParaOrdinance. Not too much of an ammo selection but cheap Blazer target rounds all the way to hot CorBon JHP if you are dealing with jackals. Never had a FTF and it will break the skin... ;)

B

i usually use a p90 with the bling perk so i can use a silencer AND a red dot sight. i use that with the commando and lightweight perks and i'll be running around getting kills all over the map

as long as my internet connection doesnt start lagging though....

lmao =]

Lmfao......That's the only kind of shooting do too

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Well said...

Yep, I own one. Great little pistol, built to last and with the fixed 3.8" barrel, it is as accurate as a 4" revolver although the sights are lacking. I have consistantly outshot my buddy with his ParaOrdinance. Not too much of an ammo selection but cheap Blazer target rounds all the way to hot CorBon JHP if you are dealing with jackals. Never had a FTF and it will break the skin... ;)

B

I have one with the aftermarket 380 barrel. I made a buddy at work almost cry when I showed it to him. He had just bought a Sig Sauer in 380 for $500. The gun was built identical to the old Makarov just with a better finish and I only paid $120 for the Makarov.

Unlike most semi autos the mak has the barrel mounted to the frame instead of floating in the slide, so its pretty accurate, but remember it doesnt always take a better gun to out shoot some one else! :aok:

James

Nice!! I bought a Sig .380 from the same buddy; Sig P230 in stainless and walnut grip for $200!! He comes from the school of hi cap mags and heavy calibers- .45, .44 mag, 10mm mag, etc so when he wanted to sell a few guns I jumped on that one right quick. Hi cap and large caliber doesn't mean crap if you aren't hitting what you want to. I used to practice with my pea shooters by picking up the gun, 1/2 aim on the rise and fire 1 shot, then full aim and follow up round and I can almost always put them both where I want them. I've never been in a gun battle and I don't see it happening, but if I ever need a gun for defense, I figure its the first few shots that matter, not the caliber and capacity. :shrug:

From what I have seen, all the fixed barrel pistols are very similar in design and I suspect they stem from the Walther PP.

B

From what I have seen, all the fixed barrel pistols are very similar in design and I suspect they stem from the Walther PP.

B

Yep, that's most of the .380s on the market. They are all blowback operated guns. Because they don't incorporate a lockup mechanism the barrel can be solidly attached to the frame. I have a PPK/S and it is far more accurate than anyone would expect. One downside to blowback actions is that the felt recoil is much higher and sharper than a more complicated design. I put a spring kit in my Walther that included a progressive recoil spring and it took the edge off the snappy recoil and increased accuracy a bit due to lighter trigger weight, especially when fired double action.

The Makarov is easily the best value ever in handguns. Just be sure to keep the firing pin and it's channel clean and free of oil or they can slam-fire. Dropping a Mak on it's muzzle with a round in the chamber isn't recommended either for the same reason.

Remington 870.. best all around... i have the express w an 18 in barrel...

I also have a Marlin 22 that was the gun my dad bought me as a kid.... should be picking up a Springfield 1911 45 mil spec in 3 weeks when im back from vacation... wa state has a 5 day "cool off" period before u can pick it up after purchase... lame...

wa state has a 5 day "cool off" period before u can pick it up after purchase... lame...

Handguns are 'cash & carry' with no wait if you have a Concealed Pistol License. I recommend to all my shooting friends that they get a CPL even if they don't intend to carry as you cannot have a loaded handgun in a vehicle in Washington State unless you have one. For road trips or traveling the back country I can't fathom not having a loaded handgun in the console at the very least. Of course my perspective is a bit skewed as I've carried a concealed handgun every day for 46 minutes short of exactly 20 years.

agreed... im on my way to having one.. but they take up to thirty days..? all new to me..(im from the east coast) so not sure... im off to montana and az for the next few weeks so everything is on hold until then unfortunately. P.S. the pathfinder sale is funding the 1911 :-) until then.. the 870 will suffice;-)

Edited by beavis0076

A smaller gun like 380 or 32 is better for some people. If they cant handle the 45 easily they shouldn't be carrying it for self defense. I don't think any criminal will let you shoot him with a small caliber handgun and then say that didn't hurt. Where as a handgun that a person cant handle could be taken away from you. Nothing would suck more than being shot with your own gun! I saw a perfect example of this in my CCP class. A tall skinny kid had a nice sub compact para in 45. When we went shoot (a target 6 feet away) he had a 2 foot group. Thats enough to mis someone close to you.

I've had my CCP for a few years now but have never carried. I always had my 45 in my truck because in Louisiana your vehicle is an extension of your home, and you can hide what ever is legal in there. And a cop must have your permission or a permit to search it.

All my handguns are big so I used the excuse to run out and buy a glock 27 for carry but have yet to find a holster that I can hide the gun comfortably. I really want to carry while riding my bike so I need to find something for that.

My favorite scatter gun is a Mossberg 590. 20" barrel with a cylinder bore, 9 round capacity, mag is even with the end of the barrel and looks cool! It even has a bayonet mount for an M7 or M9 bayonet. Meet up with a crook in your hallway with that and see if he doesn't soil your carpet for you!

James

A smaller gun like 380 or 32 is better for some people. If they cant handle the 45 easily they shouldn't be carrying it for self defense. I don't think any criminal will let you shoot him with a small caliber handgun and then say that didn't hurt. Where as a handgun that a person cant handle could be taken away from you. Nothing would suck more than being shot with your own gun! I saw a perfect example of this in my CCP class. A tall skinny kid had a nice sub compact para in 45. When we went shoot (a target 6 feet away) he had a 2 foot group. Thats enough to mis someone close to you.

I've had my CCP for a few years now but have never carried. I always had my 45 in my truck because in Louisiana your vehicle is an extension of your home, and you can hide what ever is legal in there. And a cop must have your permission or a permit to search it.

All my handguns are big so I used the excuse to run out and buy a glock 27 for carry but have yet to find a holster that I can hide the gun comfortably. I really want to carry while riding my bike so I need to find something for that.

My favorite scatter gun is a Mossberg 590. 20" barrel with a cylinder bore, 9 round capacity, mag is even with the end of the barrel and looks cool! It even has a bayonet mount for an M7 or M9 bayonet. Meet up with a crook in your hallway with that and see if he doesn't soil your carpet for you!

James

I agree completely on not carrying more gun than you can easily control! I've been carrying a Springfield XD45 Compact for the last few years. I bought a Comp-Tac Minotaur (MTAC) IWB holster shortly after they came out and it's the best investment I've ever made. After a couple years of wearing out heavy 'normal' belts every six months I finally stepped up and bought a Comp-Tac Kydex reinforced gun belt and it really does make all the difference in the world. It spreads the weight of the gun much better and I never need to 'adjust' my rig as it just stays put. I carry at about 4:00, just behind my hip bone with almost all the forward cant it allows. Here's a pic from their website:

MTAC.jpg

I always recommend that people carry IWB. Probably 95% of all people who CCW carry this way and that's for a very good reason: It works! The only real downside is you have to 'upsize' your pants, typically with a 2" larger waist. Tactically the only thing that sucks is drawing while seated, but lots of forward cant and a little practice helps this a lot. I *highly* recommend a holster design that puts leather against your skin with a full 'sweat shield' so the back of the slide (and hammer, if equipped) never come in contact with your skin. If I were sitting at a desk all day or driving a taxi I might consider a shoulder rig. They have some major tactical drawbacks, the biggest being that to make a fast draw you'll 'sweep' the muzzle 180 degrees endangering half the innocent bystanders in the area. If I'm going on a long road trip I will sometimes wear my PPK/S in a shoulder rig so I've got a quick, discreet draw while seated in the truck. :ph33r:

Wow, it's almost hard to believe that I've been carrying concealed for 20 years today. I applied for my first permit on my 21st birthday and at the time the permit could not be issued until a month had passed. I had my 41st birthday one month ago. :)

I agree completely on not carrying more gun than you can easily control! I've been carrying a Springfield XD45 Compact for the last few years. I bought a Comp-Tac Minotaur (MTAC) IWB holster shortly after they came out and it's the best investment I've ever made. After a couple years of wearing out heavy 'normal' belts every six months I finally stepped up and bought a Comp-Tac Kydex reinforced gun belt and it really does make all the difference in the world. It spreads the weight of the gun much better and I never need to 'adjust' my rig as it just stays put. I carry at about 4:00, just behind my hip bone with almost all the forward cant it allows. Here's a pic from their website:

MTAC.jpg

I always recommend that people carry IWB. Probably 95% of all people who CCW carry this way and that's for a very good reason: It works! The only real downside is you have to 'upsize' your pants, typically with a 2" larger waist. Tactically the only thing that sucks is drawing while seated, but lots of forward cant and a little practice helps this a lot. I *highly* recommend a holster design that puts leather against your skin with a full 'sweat shield' so the back of the slide (and hammer, if equipped) never come in contact with your skin. If I were sitting at a desk all day or driving a taxi I might consider a shoulder rig. They have some major tactical drawbacks, the biggest being that to make a fast draw you'll 'sweep' the muzzle 180 degrees endangering half the innocent bystanders in the area. If I'm going on a long road trip I will sometimes wear my PPK/S in a shoulder rig so I've got a quick, discreet draw while seated in the truck. :ph33r:

Wow, it's almost hard to believe that I've been carrying concealed for 20 years today. I applied for my first permit on my 21st birthday and at the time the permit could not be issued until a month had passed. I had my 41st birthday one month ago. :)

I bought a Crossbread Supertuck for my glock 27 but ran into the problem you mentioned about waist size. I wear a 34 waist that fits just right and cant make myself buy a 36. From what I read on a CC forums the supertuck was one of the highest recomended for comfort. I also got it in horse hide instead of cow leather because the horse hide doesnt absorb moisture. The supertuck looks alot like the pic you posted accept its a little wider and the kydex is open on the bottom so I could put my glock 22 in it also. I guess I will need to get over my ego and buy at least one pair of 36 pants and see how it goes. I've been trying to firm up a little to make more room in the waist band but it just aint workin!

James

I bought a Crossbread Supertuck for my glock 27 but ran into the problem you mentioned about waist size. I wear a 34 waist that fits just right and cant make myself buy a 36. From what I read on a CC forums the supertuck was one of the highest recomended for comfort. I also got it in horse hide instead of cow leather because the horse hide doesnt absorb moisture. The supertuck looks alot like the pic you posted accept its a little wider and the kydex is open on the bottom so I could put my glock 22 in it also. I guess I will need to get over my ego and buy at least one pair of 36 pants and see how it goes. I've been trying to firm up a little to make more room in the waist band but it just aint workin!

James

The Supertuck is a good holster that everybody seems to like. It's sort of a budget interpretation of the MTAC that I wear. Comp-Tac came out with the Spartan to compete directly with the Supertuck. I know exactly what you mean on the pants size! I have to wear a 38" waist with the XD so my pants fit kinda baggy everywhere else. I guess my .45 has forced me to become more 'fashionable'. :headwall: As you've found, shrinking your waist at your hip bones is just about impossible and that's where you need more room for a CCW. I'm going to guess you've found most of the gun forums, I *highly* recommend The High Road and have been a member there for many years. :aok:

If you still believe it wont break the skin at 100 yards we can let you be the test subject at 200 yards and lets see what happens.

James

I'll do it,since there isnt a chance in hell of you hitting me at 200 yards with any kind of handgun.Singal shot 308s not included.Maybe I said it wrong,It wont effectively dispatch a person at a hundred yards,so on the off chance you hit me,besure to know I'm coming for ya.