How to: Remove door panel

sliggett

I had to replace the passenger speaker (blown) and door handle today so i thought i'd post up a how to. There is a link for removing the rear speakers, you just pop the panels off, but you have to pay to see the front removal. This is an easy easy job to do and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, i'm posting this because it's just kind of nice to know what you need to take off so you don't break anything and have to make a trip to the junkyard. You can get a trim and molding tool set for cheap from harbour freight, here's the link ( http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html )hard to beat for $8.

Here's the broken door handle(new ones are only $9 on ebay), just waiting for someone to snap it off...

DSCF2266.jpg

First unscrew the lock (wow!), lefty loosey...

DSCF2283.jpg

Next, pop off the door handle trim...

DSCF2282.jpg

Then, on the door arm rest, pop out this piece with a flathead screwdriver and remove the screw that was beneath it...

DSCF2281.jpg

Remove the arm rest, it slides out then pull up...

DSCF2280.jpg

After that you'll see two screws (or 3 if you're a 2 door), remove these...

DSCF2278.jpg

panel.jpg

Then pop off your window switch...

DSCF2277.jpg

That's right, you guessed it, unplug the window switch...

DSCF2276.jpg

Now you can begin removing the tabs that hold the door panel on with your panel tool from harbour freight, there are 11 of them...

DSCF2275.jpg

Edited by sliggett

Take it off by pulling up and out...

DSCF2274.jpg

On to the door handle, peel the plastic back and the handle is held in by two nuts on the upper right hand corner, use a 10mm wrench to remove these...

DSCF2265.jpg

Next, pull this part that connects to the handle off while inside the door. This picture is only for reference, couldn't get a good camera shot with it in there. Be careful not to drop it down in the door...

DSCF2271.jpg

DSCF2270.jpg

Here's the speaker, it's held in by four screws...

DSCF2268.jpg

I had to solder in new connections on my speakers, black is ground and the black/white is power for the pathfinder. But, you can just get some working replacements from the junkyard if you're not comfortable soldering.

Should be the same for the driver side door, just more connectors to unplug.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Edited by sliggett

On to the door handle, peel the plastic back and the handle is held in by two nuts on the upper right hand corner, use a 10mm wrench to remove these...

DSCF2265.jpg

Next, pull this part that connects to the handle off while inside the door. This picture is only for reference, couldn't get a good camera shot with it in there. Be careful not to drop it down in the door...

DSCF2271.jpg

DSCF2270.jpg

Here's the speaker, it's held in by four screws...

DSCF2268.jpg

I had to solder in new connections on my speakers, black is ground and the black/white is power for the pathfinder. But, you can just get some working replacements from the junkyard if you're not comfortable soldering.

Should be the same for the driver side door, just more connectors to unplug.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

i have round speakers in my front doors and that size in the ceiling in the back.. :scratchhead: What is the size of the ones in the ceiling? i need new ones the fronts have been replaced...

Couple notes... When you removed the armrest there should be 3-not 2 screws. And when you went to take the nuts off the exterior door handle, the little plasticy tab on the door that lines up with the one nut on the door peals off to reveal a hole so you can actually use a socket and extension if you don't feel like snagging your hand on the door edge fumbling around with a wrench.

And you don't need to remove the window switch on 2 doors, their is enough length in the wires to unplug it and leave it on the panel.

i have round speakers in my front doors and that size in the ceiling in the back.. :scratchhead: What is the size of the ones in the ceiling? i need new ones the fronts have been replaced...

5x7s

My 93 had the factory Clarion 5x7s front and rear. FYI, most all aftermarket 5x7s are slightly larger than our stock ones were/are.

5x7s

My 93 had the factory Clarion 5x7s front and rear. FYI, most all aftermarket 5x7s are slightly larger than our stock ones were/are.

the front ones were prolly converted to the round... cuz the stock ones i pulled outta the rear were clarions...

are the white plastic brackets that the speaker is screwed to just to space the speaker out? On my 87 hardbody I had 6.5" speakers in the front doors and don't see how the doors on the PF's would be any different. I did have to watch the depth and use a thinner speaker but they worked fine.

are the white plastic brackets that the speaker is screwed to just to space the speaker out? On my 87 hardbody I had 6.5" speakers in the front doors and don't see how the doors on the PF's would be any different. I did have to watch the depth and use a thinner speaker but they worked fine.

yeah there is a white plastic disc they are screwed to... they are almost new Infinity's.. the magnet on the back is square and kinda looks like... an old amp with the metal ridges..

Couple notes... When you removed the armrest there should be 3-not 2 screws. And when you went to take the nuts off the exterior door handle, the little plasticy tab on the door that lines up with the one nut on the door peals off to reveal a hole so you can actually use a socket and extension if you don't feel like snagging your hand on the door edge fumbling around with a wrench.

And you don't need to remove the window switch on 2 doors, their is enough length in the wires to unplug it and leave it on the panel.

Thanks nunya, nice tips. Question though, are you sure it's not just two screws? I noticed where it looked like a 3rd one should go (far right) but there was nothing there so i checked the driver side armrest, only two screws there also. :scratchhead:

DSCF2274.jpg

FYI, you can remove the top (dark brown) part of the panel and use just the lower flat board piece if you want. It leaves the exposed painted door above the panel, all you do is use the same seal that is on the outside bottom of the window. (I need to take a pic of mine that I did this to...)

Thanks nunya, nice tips. Question though, are you sure it's not just two screws? I noticed where it looked like a 3rd one should go (far right) but there was nothing there so i checked the driver side armrest, only two screws there also. :scratchhead:

Might be another 2 door thing, when I had my doors apart there was 3 :shrug:

mine's the same on both sides.....just 2 screws, same positions as yours. just got done puttin some 5.25" up front

Looks like Carbon Fiber to me. I thought the OEM speakers were paper/cardboard cones

Win

my stock ones were the clarions and they looked the same.. missing the foam round the edges and they looked carbon fiber..

Or lack of :lol: that speaker is blown the f out!

they sound like sheit too... :shrug: