Building a custom Cold Air Intake

Tungsten

I removed my K&N cone filter and put it back to stock, got tired of hearing it.

I had the K&N apollo on mine as well as a regular K&N cone filter, and a cheap Spectra filter I found in the dumpster here where I live, someone threw 2 of the Spectre filters away brand new.

Apollo:

2lne5wk.jpg

2wgzo90.jpg

K&N :

20h7xns.jpg

3496tjm.jpg

no pics of the Spectre

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 8 months later...

If you are going to spend a lot of money on this system go out and buy some vernier calipers and measure it yourself.That way you can make sure it's correct and not rely on anyone else. Less chance of a costly mistake.

I returned mine to Stock as well - felt absolutely NO power difference, and in the increased filtration, water resistance and reliability of the stock intake is worth it to me,

I removed my K&N cone filter and put it back to stock, got tired of hearing it.

• 1 year later...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BCP-RED-91-95-Pathfinder-PickUp-3-0L-V6-XE-SE-Short-Ram-Air-Intake-Filter-/141533806377?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f4127f29&vxp=mtr

There's a pathfinder specific kit on ebay

comes in red or blue from what I've seen.

Edited by Nefarious

Pipe is pipe and silicone is silicone. The only downfall there would be filter quality, which can be swapped out easilly. I'm going to build my own similar to that, but it will lead into a spectre inline air filter and then into a snorkel to avoid the water issue :)

• 3 weeks later...

The 300ZX uses a smaller MAF. I was able to use the pipe and air cleaner from that kit but had to modify it to work. Would have been easier to just but the Pathfinder kit. I also bought a Electronic cutout, but not sure if I will use it.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought one of those cheap intake kits on eBay for like $25. I mainly bought it for the pipe because my rubber intake boot was rotting away. And replacing it with another was not worth the $100 for a replacement (to me anyway).

So I did that, I took the stupid baffle thing out of the drive side fender (it gave me another opening for the intake) and put a k&n filter in the stock air box.

I have a noticeable increase in power and bottom end. I've only spent $65 on the whole intake system. I'm living in Atlanta and get roughly 16.5 mpg constant with traffic. The worst I've gotten with this intake is 15 mpg. I'm waiting for my next road trip to Tennessee to see what it can do with constant interstate with cruise control.

Edited by Sparkyonbass

• 2 months later...

So I was gonna grab the pipe piece from auto zone because my rubber one keeps ripping. I am gonna use the stock box. The only problem is the one from autozone only has 2 holes for vaccum and we have 3 do I just drill another hole?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You could drill a hole, or you could just get a T-fitting and make two vac lines into one.

BTW, the ports on the intake pipe aren't vacuum, you only run into vacuum after the TB. The lines on the intake are where the carbon can discharges and IIRC where the vacuum actuators suck air from to disengage.

Also, if your intake keeps ripping, you might want to check your motor mounts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could drill a hole, or you could just get a T-fitting and make two vac lines into one.

BTW, the ports on the intake pipe aren't vacuum, you only run into vacuum after the TB. The lines on the intake are where the carbon can discharges and IIRC where the vacuum actuators suck air from to disengage.

Also, if your intake keeps ripping, you might want to check your motor mounts.

I was looking at the port on the other side the small little line the tube from autozone only has 2 we have 3 the 2 will fit just gotta drill a hole for the 3rd one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk