Building a custom Cold Air Intake

Tungsten

I could not find any How-To's here on this but I would like to at least replace that silly accordion pipe to the airbox and have some questions.

1. What is the optimal diameter (ID - inner diameter) of the intake pipe between the MAF wire grid housing and the intake manifold?

2. What is the length between the MAF wire grid housing and the intake manifold?

I can't think of anything else right now.

Thanks!

This looks like a good place to start:

http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/howto/coldAirIntake/default.html

Here is what my bay looks like:

26791_335604954074_612879074_3472183_7115369_n.jpg

You basically want to measure the outlet of the MAF and the inlet of the throttle body, and match those. Any bigger, and you have more space than needed. any smaller and you have restriction.

As for the length, pull out a tape measure ;)

• Like 1

It would help to know the actual factory sizes in case my measurements are not precise.

Let me just repeat something I have said before. I highly recommend anyone who does a fair amount of mechanical work to buy some economy 6" dial calipers. They are accurate to +/-.002" or so, cost around $20, will be indispensable once you start using them and will last for many years as long as you don't drop them or use them to open beer bottles.

then ask B :whistle:

:lol:

I have 7 pairs of calipers...

I can check the one off of the parts pathy tomorrow after work for you. I just finished 11 hours straight work and refuse to pick up another tool today. Sorry.

B

That would be awesome!

Then I'm going to go with a high temp ceramic coating and some barb fittings for the small crap that comes into the pipe.

It would also be helpful to know if anyone has had better luck with either a larger or a smaller diameter intake pipe as the diameter really makes a big difference.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

Damn it, I took all the measurements yesterday (except two that I need my telescoping gauges for) with pictures included, but forgot the notebook this morning when the wife distracted me. I'll post first thing when I get home. I'm trying to make this thread have all the pertinent information so we can pin it and not revisit this again in 6 months... ;)

B

• Like 1

How is that bursting any bubbles, Bud?? AC and Calmini make idler arm braces and pan hard rod drop brackets, yet some people make their own. Same with sliders, bumpers, skid plates; damn near every part of the truck. Safari makes a snorkel for the Pathfinder, but I'm going to design my own.

Why did you screw around with custom cam grinds when there are several companies you could have just bought a proven product from?? :tongue:

B

How is that bursting any bubbles, Bud?? AC and Calmini make idler arm braces and pan hard rod drop brackets, yet some people make their own. Same with sliders, bumpers, skid plates; damn near every part of the truck. Safari makes a snorkel for the Pathfinder, but I'm going to design my own.

Why did you screw around with custom cam grinds when there are several companies you could have just bought a proven product from?? tongue.gif

B

Very true.

:itsallgood:

And that is a good link for those without fab resources. If it was CARB legal, I'd consider having it down stream of my snorkel. Unfortunately CARB tremendously limits what I can do... :shrug:

B

So far my goal is to only replace that ribbed accordion pipe between the MAF sensor and the intake manifold because the OEM one likes to split apart for no reason.

I just don't feel like paying ridiculous dollar for it.

sry to burst bubles but Stillen has a cold air intake kit for the mpfi pathys. Might be worth a look.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIHIFLW01&c=PE&year=1995&make=NISSAN&model=PATHFIND

Jim Wolf Technology has a intake kit available also:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=356

• Like 1

the K&N Apollo intakes looks like they could be incorporated to work with a snorkel easy enough =)

http://www.knfilters...rsal/apollo.htm

or the spectre performance one for a fraction of the cost. And you don't have 8 bolts to undo

http://store.spectreperformance.com/products/productdetail/part_number=9833/2231.0.1.1

• Like 1

I am probably just going to buy a section of 3 inch exhaust tube and cut it to length, then drill the appropriate holes for the tubes, polish it up with the ol dremel and install er...

May just be me, but good lawwd why spend so much money on something that easy!

Because that probably won't work well... :tongue:

Ok, here is all the intake information. Let's start with Mr MAF...

DSC_0155-1.jpg

The air box side in proper orientation. The thru hole is 3.135" (79.6mm ) in diameter, this is measuring the ID of the snap ring that holds the screen in place.

The bolt holes are not symmetrical. 2.95" (75mm) horizontal and 3.39" (86.2mm) vertical to hole centers, with the hole diameters measuring .275" (7mm).

The side of Mr MAF towards the motor.

DSC_0154.jpg

The OD lip for the connecting hose is 2.570" (65.3mm) and about 1" (25mm) wide.

The ID of the MAF is 1.97" (50mm) and tapers outward to 2.38" (60.5mm)

The flex hose is a total of 9.25" (235mm) long with about 7.25" (184mm) between openings.

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

The manifold intake has an OD of 2.755" (70mm) with a 2.82" (71.6mm) lip on the edge.

The mouth of the opening is 2.58" (65.5mm) tapering down to 2.125" (54mm) thru bore at the butterfly.

DSC_0158.jpg

I think that about covers everything. From this information, I suspect that a 2.5" ID snorkel would be sufficient and I will probably go with this size coupled with the Spectre Performance air filter MY1PATH posted. On a side note, look at all the engine bay real estate you have when the washer fluid bottle, evap filter and air box (and bracketry) is removed!!

DSC_0170.jpg

B

What won't work well? It is the same concept as spending several hundred on some chrome or stainless tubing yes?

Where is that picture of that one guys....

Here it is... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26789

GrimGreg says...

Looks like the adapter I used too. For the support I cut bent and drilled a piece of aluminum bar stock.

intake1w.jpg

I also bought the parts to remove the accordian pipe. It is just a 6" tube that I cut and plumbed for the vac lines.

Edited by tmoore4512

if you want to build a shield for your air filter so it only sucks in cool air. i made a shield up for my car, but i'm still working on it. i made a stencil up with a piece of cardboard and then took it to a place that deals in lexan. so i got a piece of smoked lexan bent up 90 degrees. only costed about $15.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

Looks like the adapter I used too. For the support I cut bent and drilled a piece of aluminum bar stock.

What won't work well? It is the same concept as spending several hundred on some chrome or stainless tubing yes?

I didn't realize that you were going to a suspended cone filter. I thought that you were going to the hard mounted stock air box and I think the engine moves too much to have a hard tube inbetween the two.

Yes, a simple metal tube would work if you plumb it correctly. You may not get the same performance of a 'tuned' intake though. :shrug:

B