ABS FAILURE CAUSED MY WRECK

Nytrosfinder

This is in my 1992 Ford Taurus SHO:

Last night (July 10th) about 11:30pm I got into a wreck with 2 cars. 1 was a Ford Contour and the other was an Ford E-series Van. Construction zone, 3 lane highway, I was in the left most lane, merging to the middle lane to avoid hitting cars that were stopping and ended up bumping the Van, he bumping the Contour. I was alert and aware of my surroundings, going slower than the speed limit, and driving appropriately. As I was braking hard my Brakes locked up and I slid into the van. My 92 MTX IS equipped with Anti-lock Brakes.

Everyone is fine, my SHO had the front bumper ripped off and crack a little and the support system is cracked a little. I repaired it and it looks like it never happened except for the cracks and tilted head light.

The van's rear bumper is bowed a little and the Contour has some paint scratches.

Here is the kicker... the police were called, never showed up, waited an hour. In that hour, a fire truck, 2 state troopers, and 3 Police Car's passed by and didn't stop...wtf

So aside from all this crap... My ABS failed...My brakes locked up and I slid into the car in front of me.

On my test drive tonight around the block after repairing my bumper, the ABS light flickered, glowed, went out for about a minute, and repeated the process the whole time I was on the test drive.

What in the world could it be? No dirt, cut wires, missing components or anything obvious that I can see. My biggest concern is fixing it and making it not happen again!

Please help! Any advice would be nice!

I figured that someone on here might be able to provide some advice as well!

1. Boo on blaming a suplemental system :thumbsdown: you still had normal brakes (all I'm gonna say on that as long as nobody gets me fired up)

2. The rings still on both axles? All sensors are known to be good? Pump works correctly? What was the flash pattern of the light? That was your code #

I recall early Ford's ABS system to be pretty primitive. The few older ones I've driven with ABS (Taurus, Explorer, and Bronco II) worked well to a certain point then would simply lock up if more brake force was applied. You may have just exceeded the system's ability.

Glad to hear no one was hurt, but WTF about the cops? :blink:

All my vehicles have ABS....it's called adjusting foot pressure on the brake pedal so you don't slide or skid.

Relying on electronic safety devices to save your ass gives you a false sense of security. Go to a parking lot and practice hard braking without locking up the tires.

I do find it kind of ironic that it was all Fords involved in this accident.

Good to hear you are alright.

Edited by Creekkid

Sho...you bastard,you killed a good one...I do have a 92 parts car if you need parts...

Ford ABS is scary,I unhooked it from my 02 f150 after hitting the brakes hard anuff in my moms to scare the crap out of me...(really terrifying)

Sho...you bastard,you killed a good one...I do have a 92 parts car if you need parts...

Ford ABS is scary,I unhooked it from my 02 f150 after hitting the brakes hard anuff in my moms to scare the crap out of me...(really terrifying)

I'm gettin all he did was a little cosmetic, and I think base Tauras' have different pieces that SHO's on what all he broke

All my vehicles have ABS....it's called adjusting foot pressure on the brake pedal so you don't slide or skid.

Relying on electronic safety devices to save your ass gives you a false sense of security. Go to a parking lot and practice hard braking without locking up the tires.

I do find it kind of ironic that it was all Fords involved in this accident.

Good to hear you are alright.

Exactly. ABS was invented for people who don't or can't think when they drive. Ditto for navigation and back-up cameras and tire pressure sensors and dVD's and music HDD's...WTF! They're vehicles not 4-wheeled babaysitters and entertainment suites.