pathfinder tranny made by Subaru?

ahardb0dy

Was just reading about Subaru's history and found this:

"The Subaru automatic transmission, known as the 4EAT, is also used in the first generation Nissan Pathfinder."

and this:

"4EAT

This transmission was released in 1988 for use in the Subaru XT6 and Leone Touring Wagon. The bellhousing and input shaft were changed for the Subaru EJ engine, but this transmission is still in use today with only minor changes. Also, this transmission is a four speed automatic with a lock-up torque converter, not a 3 speed automatic with automatic overdrive.

* Gear Ratios: 1st 2.785 2nd 1.545 3rd 1.000 4th 0.697 Rev 2.272

* Usage: 1988-1991 Subaru XT, 1990-2004 Subaru Legacy, 1992-1997 Subaru Alcyone SVX, and all Subarus 1995-Present

The Ford Motor Company also uses a transmission on some Ford, Kia Motors, Mercury, and Mazda products called the F-4EAT, which shares some similarities with the Subaru, since they are both manufactured by Jatco. The Nissan Pathfinder has also used this transmission in the past with an external transfer case attached."

no wonder the automatic Tranny's suck !!! LOL

Interesting bit there HB. I have wondered about building mine, with the upgrade parts available to make it stronger, when it goes out. I am not having any issues with it, and hope I don't ever, but you know how it goes...

Again, pretty nifty piece of info.

You may find allot of similar parts beteween nissan and subaru. I belive they were mutual partiners? Anyway the R200(our front diff) Is found on subies and nissan infinit coupes and sedans.

Some 2wd pathinders and 300zx recieved a Borg warner T-5 instead of the nissan 5 spd. The T-5 is found on MANY vehicles to include the ford mustang.

L3N71B 3-speed from 1986.5-1987 and the RE4RO1A 4-speed from 1988 to 2004. Those are Nissan's transmissions. They used the RE in the 300ZX, Pathfinder, Xterra, QX4, Frontier, Xterra, and probably a few more. The L3 was used in the old 720s and I think 620s.

They could be the same as the 4EAT and Nissan designated them differently. :shrug:

"The Subaru automatic transmission, known as the 4EAT, is also used in the first generation Nissan Pathfinder."

That's not even close to correct. The Subie 4EAT has an integral front differential with halfshaft outputs just behind the bell housing. Here's the only pic I could find of a 4EAT:

4eat.jpg

If you want to 'beef up' a Pathy RE4R01A transmission don't bother: Start with the Heavy Duty version that came out in '01! It's stronger stock than a heavily modified original transmission. Silverton and I both have "RE4R01A-HD" transmissions in our WD21s and they rock. Note that Nissan does not denote the "HD" designation. It's origin seems to stem from aftermarket transmission rebuild parts companies that needed a way to easily differentiate between early and late transmissions (since Nissan did not change the transmission designation when they upgraded it.) Nissan massively upgraded many internal components for the '01 model year to deal with the increased output of supercharged VG33s as well as VQ35DEs. Thankfully all '01-on models got the beefed transmissions, not just the ones that 'needed them'.

The Jatco 3N71B dates back to 1969 and was used in everything from 510s to 280ZX Turbos and a whole bunch of Mazdas. It's one of the simplest and toughest automatics ever built. The 'L' designated a locking torque converter.

Just a little bit of my opinion here:

I don't think the stock Pathy automatic sucks nearly as badly as people seem to think. If you put into context the fact that most original Pathy autos have never been serviced, are running on their original fluid, and they rarely fail before 200k miles what's to complain about? My original transmission went 280k? miles and I beat the piss out of it. How many Toyotas, Mazdas, or any other make of 4x4 SUV are still running and/or road worthy at the mileage where our transmissions typically fail? It's not so much that the transmission sucks as the rest of the truck is exceptionally good, IMHO. I've got 371,000 miles on my Pathy and it's still tight, smooth, and rattle-free even after years of trail use and a flop onto it's side.

:aok:

Edited by Mister510

Guess that's another case of can't beleive everything you read, I just copied what I read.

I shouldn't have said the tranny's suck, the trans in my 87 (non over drive) lasted 130K before it needed to be rebuilt, the tranny shop guy told me it didn't owe me anything as he has seem them fail at 35K or less. I retract my they suck comment,lol

So do the tranny's from the newer trucks swap directly into the older trucks? You would have to swap the tranny computer also right??

Guess that's another case of can't beleive everything you read, I just copied what I read.

I shouldn't have said the tranny's suck, the trans in my 87 (non over drive) lasted 130K before it needed to be rebuilt, the tranny shop guy told me it didn't owe me anything as he has seem them fail at 35K or less. I retract my they suck comment,lol

So do the tranny's from the newer trucks swap directly into the older trucks? You would have to swap the tranny computer also right??

Clogged transmission cooler. The 3-speeds are some of the strongest transmissions you'll find, as Mister510 said, and the 4-speeds are fairly close behind. They do seem to fail much more often than the others, however. Which is why I'm replacing one in an '88 at the moment.

The HDs will mate to older ones, besides the 3-speed 87s. On those the transmission, ALL WIRING, and computer will need to be transferred. The wiring between the two (3 and 4-speed) is completely different. I don't see any point in installing a weaker transmission for one more gear.

Reminds me of when I pulled out the stock radio in my 96. On the back it said "Manufactured by Ford Motor Co.".

My wife's 01 Quest van has "ford" with a "nissan" stamp right next to it all over the body parts. People don't realize how much cooperation the different manufactures have. Right now you can go buy a Suzuki pick up that is just a rebadged nissan fronter.

James

i am at 210k with the orig trans fluid,filter and cooler(will be upgraded soon) but thats good to know that the ones from the 01+ will swap right in to my 95 and its a direct bolt in, hell i may see if i can eventually find a Vg33 s/c with auto trans to swap the whole thing in.

The only other vehicle that used our exact AT tranny was some Mazda MPVs. Our trannys and the Subbys might be based on the same basic internal gearing and valving system, but are completely different.