Death wobble repair

I made this repair today. Overall it took me about 4 hours. The biggest pain is getting the metal ring from the old bushing out using a hammer and chisel. My advice: beg, borrow or steal a large compressor and use an air chisel. But...the test ride absolutely got rid of the death wobble.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experience. Made the task mush more manageable and saved me hundreds by doing to myself.

Next project: shocks.

My friend replaced the upper and lower arms prior to me buying his pathfinder. The deal was he would install them if I bought them. I bought the replacements at rockauto.com and googled a 5% discount code for rock auto so basically shipping was free. So for both lowers and one upper (he replaced the upper a year prior) its was like $135 shipped. They are all $45 each, it looks as if the uppers are the same part number and the lowers are specific left or right. I get a dealer price at my local auto parts place since I have three cars and by now they know me, and they still couldn't come close to rockauto in price.

Edited by TurboE

Can anyone give me parts numbers for these from Rockauto for a 1996 XE ?

I want to buy a complete set and I'll be darned if I can't find them in their catalogue .

Hey man I bought new four links with bushings of rockauto, and I'm in Calgary, shipped to my door for 250$.
77B96BC3-A892-4268-852C-E88AFA1ABBBC-103

Edited by Beatup96

• 1 year later...

So I'm new here and just bought an 01 and while it hasn't gotten a death wobble yet, I hear a distinct clunking sound every time I let off the clutch and step on the gas with any urgency. It also happens over bumps too. I have looked at the bushings and they definitely look worn. The thing is though, I still have access to my old 97 that was in an accident recently, but the trailing arms are all okay and it appears that it's bushings were replaced at some point.

The real question is, how hard it is to swap the trailing arms from one vehicle to another? Everyone has mentioned it is difficult getting the old bushings out, but if I am swapping the whole arm that should be easier, right?

I would just get new ones. BTW if you do decide to change the control arms I have a brand new set of bolts and nuts that I bought from 4x4parts but never used. I also have a pair of brand new KYB gas-a-just shocks for a 2001 Pathfinder. Let me know

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man I bought new four links with bushings of rockauto, and I'm in Calgary, shipped to my door for 250$.

77B96BC3-A892-4268-852C-E88AFA1ABBBC-103

Can anyone give me parts numbers for these from Rockauto for a 1996 XE ?

I want to buy a complete set and I'll be darned if I can't find them in their catalogue .

I am new.....having the swaying/wobble issue with my 96 XE (3.3L)

I have read this entire thread and admit that I am intimidated by the descriptions of this repair job.

These parts that 4doordrift got seem to be my best option but I do not see where Beatup96 had his question answered.....I have the same question.....what are the part numbers for these?

I would like to order the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you have a R50 body style. Just search for them under 1997. Should be there. Same body from 1996-2004. 1996 was first year of R50 body style and it did over lap with D21 style. There is a difference though.

How can I know if I have the R50?

As Rebelord said, you'll find them if you search them under 1997 or later. With that said, here are the part# from Rock Auto:

Dorman 905804 - right rear lower trailing arm

Dorman 905803 - left rear lower trailing arm

Dorman 905802 - upper trailing arm (fits both left or right side)

How can I know if I have the R50?

Okay... go to the home page of NPORA. Here's the link: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/

Look at the pictures of the Pathfinders on the home page. If your pathfinder looks like the the top two ("Truck of the Month" or "Truck of the Year"), then it is an R50 . If it is looks like the bottom two, then it is a WD21.

Edited by mel.d

As Rebelord said, you'll find them if you search them under 1997 or later. With that said, here are the part# from Rock Auto:

Dorman 905804 - right rear lower trailing arm

Dorman 905803 - left rear lower trailing arm

Dorman 905802 - upper trailing arm (fits both left or right side)

Okay... go to the home page of NPORA. Here's the link: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/

Look at the pictures of the Pathfinders on the home page. If your pathfinder looks like the the top two ("Truck of the Month" or "Truck of the Year"), then it is an R50 . If it is looks like the bottom two, then it is a WD21.

Thank you very much.

You guys and the other members of this forum make it an awesome resource.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I have just secured the funds to fix my pathy's death wobble. Without you guys and NPORA I would still not know what caused it or how to fix it. None of my local garages could determine the problem or how to fix it. I'm going with poly all the way. I have found a garage willing to do the job since I'm to old and fat to crawl around under cars any more. Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my car back from the shop. It's an unbelieveable difference! I got all the parts (2 piece poly bushing set for upper and lower trailing arms plus hardware and panhard rod bushing plus hardware) from 4x4 parts for around $275 shipped. The only problem I had was with the garage. A " 1 or 2 hour tops " $200 estimate job turned into 26+ hour $330 job. I could'nt do anything about the time it took, but I did persuade them to stick with the original estimate. Next on the "to do" list is the strut mount rust recall. Best regards to all ,Tim

• 3 months later...

Here is what I ordered from rockauto. Cheaper with shipping than buying just the bushings locally and I don't have to mess with the bushings.

1998 NISSAN PATHFINDER 3.3L V6

DORMAN905803 Control Arm $ 46.79

DORMAN905804 Control Arm $ 46.89

MOOGRK660903 Control Arm $ 32.99 x 2 $ 65.98