Gaining performance tips

The torque effect is affected by the design of the header, and size of the crossover pipe and catalytic converter. By the time the exhaust pulses get to the muffler, all you are really looking for is to not restrict flow. I used to be a flowmaster/glasspack fan, but as I've gotten older, I want something I can drive into the campground at 2am without waking anyone up, and it makes cross-country trips way more pleasant, but without sacrificing power. I highly recommend reading Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems by Smith and Morrison, 3rd ed.You don't have to do the math unless you want to, but even just reading it will definitely help you understand what a custom exhaust should be doing for you.

I agree with you for the most part,but glass packs on these trucks arent that loud unless there welded right to the manifolds with no tail pipes.Also,what if the vechical doesnt have a cat or cross over,that shoots holes in your thery.Not having a cat cuts down on the back pressure,raising the peak horse power and torqe rpms.So,with now cat and a suburban muffler you would be losing power at a usable rpm.

Edited by nismothunder

Ima just weld a piece of swing set to my manifold and cut it off at my rear axle!

Thats what my neighbor said, and did...man it sounds like hell...(it is a K5 blazer...)

Maybe thats what I need...hahaha

but 2.5" is too big, even though it will have catalityc converter and silencer?

I either do it in 2" or 2.5" .. I don't have other options.

than do 2" you'll be fine

I just posted this in another thread but here it goes: Just a quick word of warning, watch that pipe bend around the transmission cross member support. I had to trim mine as it caused the pipe to bang on it repeatedly and it made me think the headers were hitting the frame somewhere. It also triggered the knock sensor and robbed all my power.

2x what Tungsten said. Also, have the installer design the system so the section that crosses under your transmission can be easily removed to simplify servicing the transmission.

I had an interesting traffic stop not too long ago. It was an early 90's S10 with the 2.5 4 cylinder. The guy had put a 40 series muffler on it, and it sounded surprisingly good, at idle. When he left the stop, the sound reminded me of a ricer, but none the less...

I will probably go with the 2.25 pipe, just because my exhaust guy prefers that...why? I dont know...

I have the Thorley headers, 2.25 pipe into a 2" magnaflow cat (all I could get in CA), back to 2.25 into a Delta 60 Flowmaster. It sounds good at idle/low end, a bit ricey mid range and downright raspy 4500rpm+. Not exactly sweet music, but is seems to have some bottom end and likes to rev with power so I'm not messing with it for a long time. There are for more important things to do, one of which will be a custom snorkel... :D

B

There are for more important things to do, one of which will be a custom snorkel... :D

B

That'll sure hell on trips to the store.Without a dought your pathfinder is the most hardcore mailcrawler there is on this site.

• 1 month later...

The exhaust is something I have yet to tackle on my rig...it is currently rusted out, and just sort of hanging on for dear life. I have been reading reviews, and watching you tube vids about different mufflers and the corresponding engines pushing them to get an idea of what I want.

I had an interesting traffic stop not too long ago. It was an early 90's S10 with the 2.5 4 cylinder. The guy had put a 40 series muffler on it, and it sounded surprisingly good, at idle. When he left the stop, the sound reminded me of a ricer, but none the less...

I will probably go with the 2.25 pipe, just because my exhaust guy prefers that...why? I dont know...

Are you going to leave off the converter(s) since you live in an emissions test exempt county? If it was me I'd be very tempted.

you want fast? Buy a fast car.

While the VG30 is a great engine in terms of reliability. It's just not exactly what "fast" is made out of without substantial amounts of work. Reliable as anything though.

and the 160hp stock isn't all too shabby once you adjust to it. Some easy things to slap on however do wonders. Exhaust and CAI are 2. i'm sure there's plenty more.

Are you going to leave off the converter(s) since you live in an emissions test exempt county? If it was me I'd be very tempted.

I disagree. Not only is it illegal and irresponsible, but for under $100 you can put in a high flow cat that will not negatively affect performance. Best of all worlds... ;)

B

• 8 years later...