1999 Benefits?

Smores

Alright so im thinking of buying a 1999 used pathfinder. I would only like to spend about 4,000 dollars so that puts me in the 110,000 miles range. i just had some questions; Is it still reliable? Would I be able to do some off roading, even with the high mileage (as in condition and use of car previously)? And if i were to do some 'light' offroading then does anyone have suggestions about parts to add? Also what trim is best for off roading, the xe se or le?

thanks in advance

-Smores

I wish I lived in a world where 110k miles was considered "high". My truck has just short of 200k and I expect it to go at least another 100-200k.

When buying any new-to-you vehicle, check the usual thing. see if they have maintenance records, check for rust, definitely check for rust.

The R50 pathfinder has its place off road, but stock for stock, I believe the older WD21 (86-95) is much better.

As for the XE, SE, LE debate, I know on the WD21 it's just a sticker and doesn't really mean anything, but they may have changed that on the R50's

Thats good to know that these trucks can get 200,000+, im still looking and theres that whole thing of getting the 4 grand. but thank for the help

geesh 4k for a 110k r50, lucky bastage. i bought mine just over a year ago for 4k with 176k.

as for your offroading question, xe se le, doesnt matter, its nothing more than a convience package really, ie leather seats heated seats/mirrors moon roof that sorta stuff.

rust is a big issue, especially around the rear wheel fenders, and if equipped with flares, be prepared for most of whats behind them to be rusted away. check the exhaust system as well, near the center where the two pipes come together. mine was rusted free of its mount, and it has cost me 2 manifolds so far.

for offroading addons, theres tons of information here that you can use. suspension upgrades, tire/wheel exhanges, that stuff. theres tons of debates over whats best too lol

well, welcome, and good luck...

fyi, not sure what part of jerzy your in.. but they can rust out real bad there.. im from north jerz and ive had many friends with these that looked ok, but were starting to bubble from the flares, once that starts its all downhill fast..so be on the lookout for that. :-)

Well my melted marshmallow, $4k for a 100k R50 isn't bad at all. I happily paid the same for 99 with 150k. The mileage isn't a big deal as it is our 3rd car and will get low mileage, but they should run reliably for about 250k. As for light off roading, that they can do, but read up, it's all here...

B

That kind of mileage is an R50's heyday. My '01 has 116k and runs great! Like the other's have said, it doesn't really matter what much trim you go with. And yeah, they're good for some light off-roading. Some stuff you could get would be lift springs. There's a few routes you can go. Old Man Emu (OME) is available through ARBusa.com or ruggedrocks.com, Automotive Customizers has some @4x4parts.com, or you could go with Ironman @ camel4x4.com.

You could also look into getting armor like rock sliders for under the door panels, skid plate, a heavy duty bumper if you can find one for sale or you could have a shop make one for you. And also look into getting some all-terrain or mud-terrain tires.

Just look at the pinned topics.

Just a note, the body style changed part way through 99 - the 99.5 - 2004 look pretty similar. In 2001 the 3.5L came out and has more horsepower, so that might be something to consider.