R50 weight on rear axle

shift220

Took a quick measurement of the compressed rear spring. It has a height of 6.5" and using the stock spring rate of 115 lb/in and 14.375" free height, that puts it at about 900 lbs on a spring.

2000 lbs on the rear is probably very close!

Are you designing rear coils? I'd be interested in a set if so. :)

How about any plans for front coils? :lol:

Unfortunately designing lift coils isn't the easiest task! Keeping a lower spring rate and getting the lift is difficult when you combine practicabilities of the design of the spring itself. For example, having 6-7 active coils over a 18" spring is almost impossible to manufacture. I got a quote from a local spring shop of about $130/spring for one using stock thickness of wire (which he considered a large wire??). Then you take into account that these are only calculations and the actual spring may be slightly different depending on who makes it and how much my stock springs have sagged and lots of other stuff! :blah:

I'll keep everyone updated on what I do. I do have another idea that would be a little out of the box and perhaps cheaper (so not coilovers ;) )

To anyone that did get springs made from that company in the U.S., are you able to post up some specs about them? Wire diameters, free height, etc? Either way I go, this local company might be much cheaper for those who want springs made up.

Unfortunately designing lift coils isn't the easiest task! Keeping a lower spring rate and getting the lift is difficult when you combine practicabilities of the design of the spring itself. For example, having 6-7 active coils over a 18" spring is almost impossible to manufacture. I got a quote from a local spring shop of about $130/spring for one using stock thickness of wire (which he considered a large wire??). Then you take into account that these are only calculations and the actual spring may be slightly different depending on who makes it and how much my stock springs have sagged and lots of other stuff! :blah:

I'll keep everyone updated on what I do. I do have another idea that would be a little out of the box and perhaps cheaper (so not coilovers ;) )

Oh, do keep us posted! :aok: