4.3 to 4.6

DanAK

Well I did my SFD, I put on big tires and just now I am finding out that I think I have 4.3 gears. Please let me know if I am correct in assuming this? My gear info is on this plate I believe. HG43

IMG_8001trim_1.jpg

I would like to go ahead and change to some 4.6 gears and I have already found a few different sets, but I would like to know what is the best way of doing this? Should I just change the both diffs? or just the ring and pinion? I am thinking to just change the ring and pinion but and also tighten up my LSD at the same time. But I would like to know what problems I might run into doing it like this. All the gears I am finding are from older 3.3 models, are older gears more likely to break? Or will they cause noise issue's if mated into my newer diff?

Forgive me if anything I have said is overly stupid, this was not a mod I had planed on and I just don't know much about it or what the consequences are.

If you're going through the trouble of finding 4.6's, you may as well get the R&P from select frontiers and xterras to get the 4.9's and just swap out the R/P

I too am cursed with 33's and 4.3's

3+3+.3=33@3mph

that was forced...I know.

You can just swap the r/p for the rear, I've done it on my pathy (already had 4.6's but no lsd). I am not sure if they changed anything from the 96-99 r50 as far as spline count goes but someone else will know.

I have never touched the front so Idk

You're correct that you've got 4.3 gears. Switching to 4.6 gears should be pretty noticeable.

If you just want the ring and pinion swapped into your current axles, plan on paying someone $150-$300 per axle to set them up. Setting up used gears (correctly) is much harder than setting up new gears since you want to try and get the contact patch as close to what it was. The right way to do that is to get the specs off the old differential before pulling the gears.

The Nissan gear setups are about as good as you will ever find. They never make noise unless they are damaged or run low on oil, and they're built to last 250,000+ miles. There are guys that can set up gears this well, but don't assume that everyone who advertises gear install labor to be this good!

It is 100% worth it to buy a complete differential with the gears already installed IF you don't plan on putting in a locker or modifying the LSD at the same time. The Xterra 4.9 gears won't fit our front differential, so that's out of the question. If you want a tighter LSD, your only option is to modify one from an R50, Xterra, or Frontier. The older WD21 Pathfinders with the better LSDs have a different spline count and it won't fit your axle shafts.

Source a 4.6 front differential from an R50 (they should all be the same). I have one but it's heavy and probably cost a lot of $$$ to ship. What you do in the rear is up to you, but I'd plan on buying a complete rear third member with a LSD and 4.6s. Then bring it to someone to modify by adding clutch packs or do it yourself and double check the pattern afterwards.

Edited by tmorgan4

:goodpost:

Thanks You Tyler!

That was all the info I needed, I think now I will just try to switch out my front diff just like you said and I will try to find a 4.6 rear diff with a LSD and modify that one or just leave it the same, I have heard that the pre-2002 LSDs are tighter than my 2003 (anyone confirm that?).

Thanks again. I will post back when its done.

Edited by DanAK

You're correct that you've got 4.3 gears. Switching to 4.6 gears should be pretty noticeable.

If you just want the ring and pinion swapped into your current axles, plan on paying someone $150-$300 per axle to set them up. Setting up used gears (correctly) is much harder than setting up new gears since you want to try and get the contact patch as close to what it was. The right way to do that is to get the specs off the old differential before pulling the gears.

The Nissan gear setups are about as good as you will ever find. They never make noise unless they are damaged or run low on oil, and they're built to last 250,000+ miles. There are guys that can set up gears this well, but don't assume that everyone who advertises gear install labor to be this good!

It is 100% worth it to buy a complete differential with the gears already installed IF you don't plan on putting in a locker or modifying the LSD at the same time. The Xterra 4.9 gears won't fit our front differential, so that's out of the question. If you want a tighter LSD, your only option is to modify one from an R50, Xterra, or Frontier. The older WD21 Pathfinders with the better LSDs have a different spline count and it won't fit your axle shafts.

Source a 4.6 front differential from an R50 (they should all be the same). I have one but it's heavy and probably cost a lot of $$$ to ship. What you do in the rear is up to you, but I'd plan on buying a complete rear third member with a LSD and 4.6s. Then bring it to someone to modify by adding clutch packs or do it yourself and double check the pattern afterwards.

Close...

Don't the R50's have reverse-cut gears for the front. I beilve this was done becuase the R50 came with Locked only hubs. Anyway you can only put other reverse cut gears in there.

the side gears on in the LSDs are differant splines BUT ALL Clutch Packs are interchangeable. This information is useless because the R50(and other non w/d21) LSD's already have the parts you need. Open it up and you will see the the pieces can be re-arranged to grip more.

R50 arrangement Clutch packs ((||..|||...| see how they are not alteranting? your losing friction there.

D21 arrangement Clutch packs ((|.|.|.|.|.| see how they alternate that's the biggest differance.

. spin with the axle while | are stationary and ((spring pushes them together and thats how it works.

Close...

Don't the R50's have reverse-cut gears for the front. I beilve this was done becuase the R50 came with Locked only hubs. Anyway you can only put other reverse cut gears in there.

What did I miss?