95 Trans Into 92... Speedo Cable Question... Searched...

I just swapped a 95 pathfinder 4x4 trans into my 92 pathfinder and i'm having problems getting the speedo cable to work. I know the 95 is electronic and 92 isn't. IS there a trick to swapping them or making them work? I did a search but haven't found a good answer. Whats the trick?

Scott

remove the electronic speedo gear and put in your mechanical one. It's located on your transfer case. I'M ASSUMING THIS SINCE I HAVE NOT SEEN AN ELECTRONIC VERSION.

my mechanic has my truck now, without a lift it became a bear to do the trans swap, esp on a NJ rusty truck. He is a pretty sharp guy said the gears are different. I would think that you take out the electronic and put in the mechanical cable but i know someone must have the answer since 94 and 95 have different gauges then 93 and earlier. Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing maybe the different gears he speaks of are for different tire size since the donor trans is from a 235 equipped truck and mine is a 31' tire SE. I tried the search feature over and over no luck on here...

Scott

precise, that would be me. i got a 92 tranny, and well the gears are all interchangeable. there is a little bolt to the left of the gear, and it is a 10mm bolt head, un bolt it, and pull out the old speedo cable, you may have to twist it a little to get it to release. put the new one in, and bolt it in. your mechanic is a retard if he says that they're different.

Well, that's one... :D Ok, thanks for chiming in, but you mean even the 94-95 have a speedo cable (even though it doesn't hook into the gage) and not just a sending unit??

Speedbuggy, you can download a 95 FSM in PDF form at the top of the Garage section, maybe that will help??

B

precise, that would be me. i got a 92 tranny, and well the gears are all interchangeable. there is a little bolt to the left of the gear, and it is a 10mm bolt head, un bolt it, and pull out the old speedo cable, you may have to twist it a little to get it to release. put the new one in, and bolt it in. your mechanic is a retard if he says that they're different.

Thanks for the update. I'm 1000k miles away from home when i got the call, trying to do my homework so the truck will be done when i return. My close friend is a nissan guy and he's going over today. I know he's swapped the gears on his 97 hardbody so he's familar with that plug. The only thing i can think of is that he is looking at the different colored gears(for tire size) and thinks it won't mesh.... Thanks so much for the reply...if anyone else has anything to add please do...

Scott

Thanks for the help, I sent a nissan buddy over and i was correct by saying the gear change was the part that puzzled the mechanic. After explaining about different tire size he and my nissan buddy put it right in no problem. Hopefully soon the path will be resurrected... new trans,tq converter, new master cyl/booster... soon to be more frame rust repair.

Scott