2 Door Vs 4 Door

FUELER

61 members have voted

1. 1. 2 door or 4 door??

• 2dr forget the age
    • 4dr is newer

Well i'm in the market for a WD21 and need NPORA's input.

I always loved the 2 doors, but didn't know until recently that the 2drs stopped production in 1990.

I would like the peace of mind knowing that a 95 is 5 years newer and has the EFI 3.3

(by the way, how reliable is the TBI 3.3? i assume that carb lookin thing in 1989 is TBI?)

What do yall think of these?

This ones $2k and has a lift with JGC coils in rear and rouch country UCA's, spicer ball joints, calmini idler arm brace, and some other stuff on it

3k13od3lc5X05R25S2a5ec479cc7e30161b9e.jpg

this ones also $2k but stock, supposedly has timing belt done but the guy can't spell and didnt give me the details i asked for in an email, and for some reason he decided to paint it with a roller

3n93pe3l95Z65T15R3a5g0c84bdb727a1192f.jpg

this ones asking $1800, 2 door (but i dont like red, i wanted gray or black) and has good tread BFG's on it

3n73mc3l25T05U45R3a5df50daefeb0481f5a.jpg

95 still has a 3.0 I thought. Your gonna get somewhat partial answers I forsee though... 2door owners are gonna favor such as are teh 4 door owners. As a 2 door owner you can guess where I'm gonna sway as personal choice (do you NEED 2 4 doors? I think not :lol: )but I'm gonna have to tell you go with what you like better and don't rush your hunt so you don't end up with a clap-trap with tar paper hiding frame rot or a smoked transmissin etc etc. You ain't gettin rid of the Infinity are you?

oops i meant 3.0

also, i want a 5 speed (its the autos that get smoked, right)?

and yeah im keeping the QX4, im just sick of wheeling it and having to drive it to work with camping gear in it the next day.

I might even put the Q's Pro-comp wheels on the WD21 and vice versa.... $1600 of wheels on a $1800 rig would be cool, no??

Thanks

• Like 1

here we go again with the FUELER wheel swaps... Wheres the dude sleeping on the couch your gonna steal the next set from? :chairfall:

(forgot to put my 2door vote in last time anyway...)

all the V6 WD21 pathfinders used the VG30 engine (3.0), I would say look for a 4 door just because it's easier to get into the back seat (from what I've heard about the 2 door's never been in one personally)

brief history of the pathfinder including the different generations here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pathfinder

I'd have to say 4 doors. Didnt the 2 door stay in production until 92? I'm sure Cyrils is a 92 2 door

*runs off to check*

in the U.S. we only got them up to 90. (and the 1990 ones are fiew and far between)

All 3.0, aside from a few rare ones, all 87-89 are TBI 2dr, and all 90-95 are MPI 4dr (in the USA Tex :P ).

A lot of people whine about the TBIs, but about the only big difference I notice between the engines is throttle responce.

I have always said the cream of the crop is the rare 1990 2dr MPFI (vg30e) I think there may have been only 500 or so in the usa.

That being said I grew up with my 1989 2dr TBI (vg30e) 1owner (dad) and then me.

Well cared for and only a few headaches but nothing I couldn't learn to handle or possibly even prevented if I had been raised working on vehicles here and there.(good thing to pass on to your kids)

I say it all depends on the rig you get a 95 4dr with 15 yrs neglect might not even hold a match to my 20yr old rig. but if somone even so much as did regular oil changes and didn't drive it on the beach or in the rust belt it then the tables will be the opposite.

If I had a 1990-93 4dr in perfect shape, 235's then add e-fan, headders(+mpg mods only) ... I'd keep it stock height and just make it our family car. (child seats are easier with 4drs right?

I like my 4 door. It's easier to take people with you and you don't have to fold the seat forward to get stuff out of the back. They both have the same wheelbase. I also like the updated dash in the 94-95 models. You no doubt know about the frame rust so take a good look at it and make sure it's clean. Try and get an SE model with 4.6 gears, a 5-speed and a LSD in the rear end (or an open diff if you plan on buying a locker). You can even get heated leathers, a sunroof and an external tire carrier on the SE models. Some of them are very nicely equipped!

I also like the updated dash in the 94-95 models.

I'll stick with my homebuilt stanza guge faces and good old fashiond analong technology thankyou.

th_StanzaGlow.jpg

I have always said the cream of the crop is the rare 1990 2dr MPFI (vg30e) I think there may have been only 500 or so in the usa.

dayumm... the primered one is a 1990 2dr MPFI !! but he did all this ricer crap to it (roller paint job) and wont tell me why

I like my 2 door, they are the original pathfinders! But from your list I would pick the 4 door unless it has a crap load of miles. It's newer and already has some mods done to it. The one painted with the roller most probably is covering loads of bondo!

James

All 3.0, aside from a few rare ones, all 87-89 are TBI 2dr, and all 90-95 are MPI 4dr (in the USA Tex :P ).

A lot of people whine about the TBIs, but about the only big difference I notice between the engines is throttle responce.

I didn't say anything :D

Go 2dr Adam... They just look right :lol:

Although I've got both I couldn't really put one over the other (Except the 4dr is an unreliable PIMA P... )

4 door is roomier when getting into the back seats - if it's a wheeling vehicle, do you need the room? If not, go with a two door and remove the rear seats :)

Edited by Kittamaru

The 2 door are cooler looking with the triangle window (not that the 4 doors look bad) and are slightly lighter IIRC. In my view, these are the only benefits. A 4 door (94-95) has easy access to the back, a newer dash, MPFI and 105k timing belt change intervals plus hopefully, less mileage. The TBI does not burn as efficiently as the MPFI and the system has parts that rust, rot or burn off of it. a TBI would be more likely to cause grief come smog time.

If you really want a 2 door, get that MPFI unit!! That said, if you get any bad feelings about a deal, walk away. WD21s are a dime a dozen in Cali as I'm sure you have noticed.

I'm glad you are thinking of getting a WD21 for wheeling, I'm sure you will love it. :aok:

B

I say 4 door, but not because it's "newer". I'm a single guy and have no real need for the extra doors, but they sure are convenient. When I hit the dirt I usually have several people with me. The guys I roll around with have full size bronco's, I hate getting in and out of those things if I'm riding in the back. Instead of opening a door and jumping in there's all kinds of hassle with the seats and whatever may be in the way or whoever is in the front seat. I'll take the ease of access with four doors for my dog, passengers and whatever gear I'm carrying over a two door any day.

I prefer the two doors for several reasons, the first of which I've never seen mentioned:

1) Two doors are easier to get in and out of the FRONT seats as the doors are longer. My back is severely messed up and four doors are more difficult for me to swing my feet up into.

2) In a two door when you turn your head sideways you are not looking at the B pillar.

3) You won't smack your head on the shoulder belt anchor offroad in a two door unless you get *really* stupid.

4) Lighter.

5) Simpler.

6) Cool looks. It's the way the Pathy design was originally penned and just looks 'right' to me.

7) Pop-out triangle windows provide awesome ventilation with very little wind noise or drag at speed.

All that said if I had kids or took more than one person with me offroad (neither will ever happen) I might want a four door. I'd also give up #5 for a '90 two door with MPFI as that would make the addition of a turbo easier.

1) Two doors are easier to get in and out of the FRONT seats as the doors are longer. My back is severely messed up and four doors are more difficult for me to swing my feet up into.

They got the same doors man...