Electric Cooling Fan Conversion

Yeah, I was just thinking about leaving it like that since I'm in Florida. But I definitely need to do the AC hook up. Been driving it without it and ac doesn't work at all until engine warms up and fan turns on. It is hot as hell here right now so just a few minutes is plenty of time to be sweating. Is there an AC fuse that I can tap into?

I installed a taurus fan last week in my 01 LE. I averaged 16mpg towing 1000lbs for 900 miles from DE to KY. last year when I dropped the truck off in DE before I deployed I averaged 14mpg and was not towing anything. I just wanted to say how amazing the electric fan swap worked out for me. Before you ask, I did a tune up an oil change before each trip. My tranny is pissed at me from WV though, I thought about installing a tranny cooler before this trip but ran out of time to do it. I will probably do that before the next big trip.

Yeah, I was just thinking about leaving it like that since I'm in Florida. But I definitely need to do the AC hook up. Been driving it without it and ac doesn't work at all until engine warms up and fan turns on. It is hot as hell here right now so just a few minutes is plenty of time to be sweating. Is there an AC fuse that I can tap into?

There should be a wire that plugs into the a/c compressor that gets power when you press the a/c button, maybe tap into that?

I went wheeling this weekend in the middle of a texas summer and a massive drought. The thermometer reading in the pathy got up to 115 degrees for awhile. I was wheeling with the windows up from 9 til 7 with the ac on and the temp never got above half way. If thats not a testament to how well the stock cooling system is then I dont know what is. Its the same with stop and go traffic, never have any issues

So I had the ingenious idea of tapping into some of the relays under the hood on the driver's side. You can fit a fuse tap under the relays. Tapped into the #5 lead on the AC relay for the AC control and the power socket relay for the ignition power. No tapping into the condenser wire or running through the firewall. Has to be the easiest way to hook up electric fan. In the first picture below, the farthest right blue relay is the AC one and the farthest left blue relay is the ignition powered source.

P2260020.jpg

P2260023.jpg

Edited by moto-m

• 5 years later...

Hey guys, I have been a Npora member for some time just came across this thread. I am using my 2002 LE R50 to pull our 2000lb off road pop-up around America with my fiance. It has Fully built motor, full OME suspension system and many other fun bits and I will be installing a large tranny cooler but I would like to also add an electric pusher fan to supplement the stock fan and cooling system. Is that possible???

i don't understand exactly why you would bother removing the stock fan except for the miniscule amount of power you might gain.

Thanks for your advice, Josh

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I did install an electric pusher fan in front of the AC condenser, and it's only active when the AC compressor is on. The reason I installed it is that at idle on very hot days, the AC sometimes would not blow as cold. I am still running the stock belt-driven fan also.

• Like 1