Manual Transmission Fluid

vmodi

I have a 1998 R50 with a manual transmission. In the shop manual it lists the manual transmission fluid as API GL-4 75W-90 only. However when I went to Kragen, Autozone, Napa Auto Parts - no one had a API GL-4 spec fluid.

Even in their store computers it mentioned that GL-5 75W-90 COULD NOT be used.

Any suggestions on either a brand/location to buy the API GL-4 fluid or thoughts on using the GL-5? Also want to know how much of the fluid is required? The store clerk mentioned 10 quarts! But that seems high.

Thanks.

Edited by vmodi

I have a 1998 R50 with a manual transmission. In the shop manual it lists the manual transmission fluid as API GL-4 75W-90 only. However when I went to Kragen, Autozone, Napa Auto Parts - no one had a API GL-4 spec fluid.

Any suggestions on either a brand/location to buy the API GL-4 fluid or thoughts on using the GL-5? Also want to know how much of the fluid is required? The store clerk mentioned 10 quarts! But that seems high.

Thanks.

well from what I came to understand while doing the manual trans in my '93 Mazda 626, is that GL5 is BAD to use in GL4 specific applications. Something about GL5 corroding the bronze synchronizers. Red Line and Royal Purple both have GL4 75w90, but the local parts stores here carry synthetic Penzoil stuff too. Long as it meets GL4 requirements, you'll be fine. That is kinda strange that no one would carry it though O.o

Here we have Part Source, Napa and Canadian Tire for larger parts places. Any quick-lube place should carry the stuff, as well as be able to tell you exactly how much your transmission takes. (I think about 3.5 - 4 quarts, but don't quote me on that)

one thing I discovered is that using about a 50/50 mixture of Lucas oil stabilizer, along with the GL4 fluid is a BEAUTIFUL combination. Your trans will shift as smooth as a Honda S2000... which is pretty silky smooth, compared to just straight gear oil :)

Edited by Manifesto

Awesome! Thanks! :)

Let me find the synthetic fluid online, will also look for the Lucas oil stabilizer. Is there a specific kind of stabilizer? Does it have to be GL-4 compliant?

Edited by vmodi

Awesome! Thanks! :)

Let me find the Penzoil fluid online, will also look for the Lucas oil stabilizer. Is there a specific kind of stabilizer? Does it have to be GL-4 compliant?

nope. its just called "Lucas Oil Stabilizer"

that stuff is like... miracle fluid lol can be used throughout the whole power train (except in automatics). 5-20% mixture in motor oil does wonders too. Can also be used in the diffs (no matter the weight). It will say right on the bottle what mixtures to use where, but I personally swear by Lucas products, as they are the only fluid additive that I have ever used that has actually yielded noticeable results :)

it's pretty thick stuff, so be prepared to have some patience putting it in. I found warming it up by letting it sit on the intake manifold while the motor is running for a few minutes helps. I forget the name of it, but it looks like a giant syringe with 2 feet of 3/8" rubber tube coming out... I picked mine up for $30 from Gregg's distributors and it's a life saver when it comes to refilling the drive lines. I'll poke around and see if I can find the real name for it, I've always just referred to it as "the sucky blowy tool"

Edited by Manifesto

well from what I came to understand while doing the manual trans in my '93 Mazda 626, is that GL5 is BAD to use in GL4 specific applications. Something about GL5 corroding the bronze synchronizers. Red Line and Royal Purple both have GL4 75w90, but the local parts stores here carry synthetic Penzoil stuff too. Long as it meets GL4 requirements, you'll be fine. That is kinda strange that no one would carry it though

nope. its just called "Lucas Oil Stabilizer"

that stuff is like... miracle fluid lol can be used throughout the whole power train (except in automatics). 5-20% mixture in motor oil does wonders too. Can also be used in the diffs (no matter the weight). It will say right on the bottle what mixtures to use where, but I personally swear by Lucas products, as they are the only fluid additive that I have ever used that has actually yielded noticeable results

Exactly, absolutely and correct.

:goodpost:

B

Funny thing, could not find GL-4 at any local store.

Called the dealer (Mossy Nissan in San Diego) and they have GL-4 75W-90 regular at $6.50 a quart and synthetic at $12.50 a quart. The guy even said that 3 quarts is enough for a full flush! This is the cheapest I have seen. :omg:

Funny, never thought I would go to the dealer for anything.

Thanks.

Do not put GL-5 oil in the transmissions. That's for the diff's.

If you can't find 75w90, try 80w90, it's more common, but make sure it's gl-4.

Interesting....just came from the dealer.

They only use GL-5 and not GL-4. The dealer said that if I came in for a transmission flush they would only use GL-5.

Thoughts? Else, I have to go find a place that sells GL-4. :(

Some GL5 fluids are okay to use as they don't ALL contain the same additives that eat away brass and bronze. At the same time, no GL4 fluid does so it makes more sense to be on the safe side and not risking using a fluid that may contain the additives.

I've read around and I found that some dealers use GL5 that specifically do not contain LSD additives, but one did blow a tranny.

Edited by Kingman

Do not put GL-5 oil in the transmissions. That's for the diff's.

If you can't find 75w90, try 80w90, it's more common, but make sure it's gl-4.

Let me point out that this was said by a service manager at a Nissan dealership who owns a pathfinder. He is saying what most of us go by, so I do not recommend being swayed otherwise. There have been some threads about what to use/where to find that a search may turn up but probably the #1 replacement is the Redline MTR 90 with positive feed back. When I flushed my tranny, I used 85-W90 GL-4 and some Lucas oil stabilizer which worked fine here in NorCal other than some hard shifting first mile or two on a cold morning. You should be golden in SoCal...

Also, if it is the same tranny as the 95 Pathy, 5 liters is what is required per the TSB pinned in the Garage/TSB section.

B

Interesting....just came from the dealer.

They only use GL-5 and not GL-4. The dealer said that if I came in for a transmission flush they would only use GL-5.

Thoughts? Else, I have to go find a place that sells GL-4. :(

I know of a dealer that put GL-5 fluid in a transmission, it blew up, the owner took the dealer to small claims court. The dealer lost. The FSM clearly says GL-4 is to be used, not GL-5.

I ordered Royal Purple Max Gear since I could find it on Amazon and it lists as GL-4 certified. Hopefully it works.

Asked a few more places around and no one has a GL-4 only oil. Hopefully the Royal Purple works out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Edited by vmodi

I ordered Royal Purple Max Gear since I could find it on Amazon and it lists as GL-4 certified. Hopefully it works.

Asked a few more places around and no one has a GL-4 only oil. Hopefully the Royal Purple works out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

yes, royal purple is dual spec thumbsup.gif

I also prefer redline MT90 its formulated specifcally for imports and soft bronze/ brass cyncros(our trannys)

plus there is not such thing as cold shifts once you swich to redline. :) thats performance you can feel

yes, royal purple is dual spec thumbsup.gif

I also prefer redline MT90 its formulated specifcally for imports and soft bronze/ brass cyncros(our trannys)

plus there is not such thing as cold shifts once you swich to redline. :) thats performance you can feel

So if it's duel spec I can use the same oil in the whole drive drain?

James

I ran royal purple 10w30 in my old supra for less than 1000 miles. made a trip to spokane and back, so about 500 miles. As I was making it over snoqualmie pass, I noticed my oil pressure gauge was reading low. so I pull off to the side, check my dipstick, and the fluid is there, but it is literally running off the stick like water, so I baby it to issaquah to the fred meyer to buy some motor oil, I pull the drain plug and it comes GUSHING out and had no consistency to it. So, I refuse to use their motor oil ever again, I have read similar stories online. But I hear good stuff about their other fluids. Especially their water wetter.

I ran royal purple 10w30 in my old supra for less than 1000 miles. made a trip to spokane and back, so about 500 miles. As I was making it over snoqualmie pass, I noticed my oil pressure gauge was reading low. so I pull off to the side, check my dipstick, and the fluid is there, but it is literally running off the stick like water, so I baby it to issaquah to the fred meyer to buy some motor oil, I pull the drain plug and it comes GUSHING out and had no consistency to it. So, I refuse to use their motor oil ever again, I have read similar stories online. But I hear good stuff about their other fluids. Especially their water wetter.

weird, what year was your supra?

I miss my '84 xD

So if it's duel spec I can use the same oil in the whole drive drain?

James

if you run 75w90 yes and maybe 80w90. any thicker and you'll want to keep the thinner stuff in your tranny.

I just did mine with the MT90 and it was fairly straight forward, except finding the MT90. Turned out that Shucks (now O'Reilly), can get it but they had to order it and it took a few days. As a tip, I ran the passenger side of the truck up on 8.5" blocks front and rear to get the required amount in the tyranny without having to mess with the shifter or anything. 12 quarts did both diff's, the x-fer case and the tranny to the revised spec with just a touch left over.

Turned out that Shucks (now O'Reilly), can get it but they had to order it and it took a few days.

FYI you can order it direct from redline over the internet. I usually see my redline package in 2days(CA to WA) And I always buy the gallon containers of MT90 and 75w90 gear oil.

As a tip, I ran the passenger side of the truck up on 8.5" blocks front and rear to get the required amount in the tyranny without having to mess with the shifter or anything
You can also get two 90* elbows from the hardware store and make a raised fill neck that meets the height of the TSB. The fill hole and fill plug matches 3/4" pipe thread nicely

Summit racing has redline Mt-90 they get it to us californians in a day.

Only stuff I use in pathfinder Manual Transmissions. Although I only use Royal purple ATF in all my autos.

I plan on using the Rhino ramps to give me some room up front and hopefully I can easily take care of the fluid. I ordered 6qrts since the manual calls for about 5.3qrts.