Lets Hope This Man Is Okay.

BIGPHIL

A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by an alleged illegal immigrant, authorities said.

The shooting comes amid a national debate over Arizona's tough new immigration law that allows police to demand proof of legal residency. Arizona lawmakers say the law is needed because the federal government has failed to enforce border security with Mexico, allowing more than 450,000 illegal immigrants to move into the state.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in the desert, saying he had been shot by an illegal immigrant with an AK-47, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

Villar initially said the deputy was being transported to a hospital. However, she told CNN affiliate KNXV that authorities had lost radio contact with the deputy and that a search was on for him and the shooter.

KNXV: Deputy stopped five suspects

By 6 p.m., the deputy had been located, but the search continued for the shooter, according to CNN affiliate KPNX. The report came from a KPNX reporter aboard a chopper at the scene.

KPNX: Deputy expected to survive

Pinal County is between Phoenix and Tucson and has been described as a key transit point for illegal immigrants and drug traffickers. Sheriff Paul Babeu said an estimated 80 percent of illegal immigrants eventually pass through his county along the way to other locations.

Earlier this week, a CNN crew spent 12 hours on patrol with Pinal County deputies. In that time, the deputies captured more than 50 suspected illegal immigrants and about 2,000 pounds of marijuana.

Deputies in the department routinely patrol for illegal immigrants and smugglers, and it is not uncommon for them to be in the field alone, officials said. It was not immediately clear what led the deputy to engage with the shooter Friday.

The shooting is sure to heat up the debate around the new Arizona law. Critics say the law is unconstitutional and will lead to racial profiling, which is illegal. But Republican Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer and others who support the bill say it does not involve profiling or other illegal acts and will cut down on illegal immigration.

"Frankly this is just a very horrible story, but we should not generalize," Alfonso Aguilar, former chief of the U.S. Citizenship Office, told CNN's Rick Sanchez when news of Friday's shooting broke. "We should focus on the criminality of the drug traffickers ... not scapegoat undocumented immigrants who do not pose any threat to society."

Brewer on Friday signed a bill that makes changes to the immigration law, saying the changes will ease concerns about racial profiling.

The law, which will go into effect in 90 days, has already drawn at least two lawsuits and condemnation from the Mexican government and other Latin American nations. Prominent entertainers, including Shakira and Linda Ronstadt, also have spoken against the law. Some critics are calling for a boycott of Arizona, urging tourists to stay away and that no one do business with companies in the state.

I agree:

For the man to be ok.

With the bill that merely gives the state the same laws and enforcement rights as the federal laws that are not enforced.

(check out how the US is supposed to function)

Profiling has validity when statistics and demographics dictate. Sorry. Not really. Deal with it or move...

'Illegal immigrant' defines its self.

*wishes the world was rational, not whining and selfish*

B

Shoot the farkers...its not that I dont feel for some of them,wanting a better life,but if you want to immagrate,go through the steps,it shouldnt be as easy as walking across the borders...

my response to illegals crossing the boarder:

metalstorm.jpg

They get ONE warning to stop, turn around, and go home... then they get a 49mm shell in the ass.

Edited by Kittamaru

The warning is just a formality - as most of them probably don't speak good English anyway, it wouldn't matter. And the 40mm shell ensures there isn't much left to clean up :P

Hey, my ancestors had to get on a boat, then wait in line when they came to this country. The worked hard for everything. Now you can cross the border and get free healthcare, a job you dont have to pay taxes, and if you drive a car without a license, you get to spend the night in jail where you will get fed and have a place to sleep. Yeah, no need for border laws.

As for the officer, hope he recovers well. I hope his community rallies around thier officers like they did here when those 4 cops where shot and killed. I guess more important things need to be taken care of, like how to control wall street.....

I almost think Wall Street is just as bad as the Border... but there is a simple solution for Border issues... self-actuated Metal Storm turrets every half a mile or so. Those 40mm rounds will make it half a mile, and nobody is going to get past an unfeeling, uncaring, self-targeting turret :)

The warning is just a formality - as most of them probably don't speak good English anyway, it wouldn't matter. And the 40mm shell ensures there isn't much left to clean up :P

Hell with cleaning up,the buzzards gotta eat,so do the worms...

deal with it or move?

sorry but thats why we have a system of representative government - so we can change things that we don't agree with or that are wrong.

Yes, but not sorry. Representative government is nice when it it actually works like that, but not always the case? What happens when the public vote shows contrary to your view?? Then you deal with it or move. As in to another state. That is why the states have legislative bodies, to make their own rules, different from the others. A state votes in something you don't like, well, try to change it and if that doesn't work, deal with it or move.

If a state has a law and you have an issue with it and you don't live there, shut up and pay attention to your state, not theirs. The concept is sooooo simple, but people can't seem to get it.

I have nothing against immigrants, my parents and my wife are. Illegal immigrants that expect/demand rights/services can kiss my arse; I won't get them in their country...

B

my response to illegals crossing the boarder:

They get ONE warning to stop, turn around, and go home... then they get a 49mm shell in the ass.

You have to deal with that a lot in Pa??

Grow up man.

B

Heh, sadly, where I am in PA... you don't get the warning. You're liable to be shot just for walking down the street...

And I have no problem at all with people coming to the country... what I DO have issues with:

People crossing the boarder and shooting our cops that try to stop them.

People bringing illegal drugs into the country.

People running the boarder, giving birth on US soil (making their kid a legal US Citizen), then going home.

Illegal Aliens wanting jobs, health care, insurance, welfare, and other services they never paid a cent into.

Criminals entering/exiting the country at will across the boarder.

People entering the US to steal items (as is supposedly an issue in boarder-states)

Need I go on? I mean, we aren't going to stop them by asking nicely... we GOT our freedom by fighting, we'll KEEP our freedom by fighting. Not by shouting, not by throwing our weight around, and not by letting anyone and everyone do what they want without regard for the law. No, we have to stick up for whats right and put our foot down... hell, the way things are going now, in three or four years, Spanish will be our national language...

I mean, seriously... do you remember when you didn't have to do the whole "Push 1 for English" thing? Yeah, last I checked, English was our primary language and people should learn it if they want to live here. I understand HELPING them learn the language, hell, even putting other languages on important things (like restroom signs, highway signs, and the like maybe) but on soda bottles, textbooks, and other things? Hell no...

Heh, sadly, where I am in PA... you don't get the warning. You're liable to be shot just for walking down the street...

And I have no problem at all with people coming to the country... what I DO have issues with:

People crossing the boarder and shooting our cops that try to stop them.

People bringing illegal drugs into the country.

People running the boarder, giving birth on US soil (making their kid a legal US Citizen), then going home.

Illegal Aliens wanting jobs, health care, insurance, welfare, and other services they never paid a cent into.

Criminals entering/exiting the country at will across the boarder.

People entering the US to steal items (as is supposedly an issue in boarder-states)

Need I go on? I mean, we aren't going to stop them by asking nicely... we GOT our freedom by fighting, we'll KEEP our freedom by fighting. Not by shouting, not by throwing our weight around, and not by letting anyone and everyone do what they want without regard for the law. No, we have to stick up for whats right and put our foot down... hell, the way things are going now, in three or four years, Spanish will be our national language...

I mean, seriously... do you remember when you didn't have to do the whole "Push 1 for English" thing? Yeah, last I checked, English was our primary language and people should learn it if they want to live here. I understand HELPING them learn the language, hell, even putting other languages on important things (like restroom signs, highway signs, and the like maybe) but on soda bottles, textbooks, and other things? Hell no...

I have to agree with this 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jose

I have nothing against immigrants, my parents and my wife are. Illegal immigrants that expect/demand rights/services can kiss my arse; I won't get them in their country...

B

Any of us who don't have some Native American in us are the result of immigrants, my great grandparents were from "the old world". I would hope that no American has issues with legal immigrants for that very reason. I think those who don't have an issue with illegal immigrants need a boot to the head! They cry racial profiling in Arizona in responce to the new law, well if you are legally here you got nothing to worry about right? If they would stop issuing state IDs and drivers licenses to people who aren't citizens, it would make routing them out easier.

Edit to add: If we adopted a law like that, would them looking for white people trying to find the illegal Canadians here be an issue? :rolleyes:

Edited by GrimGreg

Yall need to shut the f up

It is almost impossible to legally immigrate from Mexico. The majority of the illegal immigrants want to be legal US citizens, but as the system is currently in both Mexico and US it is impossible unless you are very rich. When our forefathers came to this country generally someone here in the US supported you. Now it is impossible for anyone to do that, the system isn't set up that way anymore. If you want to get help in Mexico good f'ing luck. The system is so messed up there it would cost you thousands of dollars to get even a work visa.

Anyone who says otherwise can ask anyone from Mexico and they will tell you the exact same thing. So all of you who say "Oh they're just lazy and don't want to do the hard work of becoming a legal citizen" can go f yourselves.

Very few migrants come here to do illegal things. But guess what? They will still come here to do illegal things no matter how hard you make it to come here. Those who want to be here legally still suffer.

Yall need to shut the f up

It is almost impossible to legally immigrate from Mexico. The majority of the illegal immigrants want to be legal US citizens, but as the system is currently in both Mexico and US it is impossible unless you are very rich. When our forefathers came to this country generally someone here in the US supported you. Now it is impossible for anyone to do that, the system isn't set up that way anymore. If you want to get help in Mexico good f'ing luck. The system is so messed up there it would cost you thousands of dollars to get even a work visa.

Anyone who says otherwise can ask anyone from Mexico and they will tell you the exact same thing. So all of you who say "Oh they're just lazy and don't want to do the hard work of becoming a legal citizen" can go f yourselves.

Very few migrants come here to do illegal things. But guess what? They will still come here to do illegal things no matter how hard you make it to come here. Those who want to be here legally still suffer.

So it is safe to assume we can send "La Migra" to your vinyard for a round up?

I feel no empathy for illegals at all. Never will, go cry to your mommy.

SC88, before you tirade from your comfy, remember, this was not about making immigration super easy and there is a reason for that. Stop and use your college educated brain about why first...

I'm all for achievable work visas, permits and whatnot. Still, that is not the subject here. Is it wrong to check for illegals and deal with them accordingly when found? No...

There is a reason immigration is supposed to be regulated. Why is this such a hard concept??

B

I cant believe Arizona would enact such a law. Just takes the country another step towards Nazi Germany. Imagine your a legal Mexican immigrant in Arizona(there's a ton), papers please, what you forgot your papers off to jail.

If it wasn't so easy for an illegal immigrant to get a job in the US maybe so many wouldn't be crossing over, but if you build it they will come some say. So I say punish factory's/farms that house and pay illegal workers, there the ones making it possible for them to survive here in the first place. Many businesses are well known and almost open about having illegal workers.

I personally know and am friends with a illegal Mexican immigrant whos family made it all the way north to MN. He now married a US citizen and is getting a green card. He lived in Minneapolis and had a steady job. The only reason he could make it here is because he was employed by a major restaurant. I ultimately blame places that employ illegal immigrants for a majority of boarder jumpers.

Edited by olddirtyrake

I have to agree with the above statements. If it was so easy to migrate here legally and becaome a citizen, it would be pure chaos in this country. Not only Mexicans, but Hatians, Cubans, Dominiqueans (sp?), Chinese, Vietnamese, ect.

And SC88, it's not as hard as you say to become a citizen. My wife and here mom are immigrants who did it legally. I have a few friends who have done it. Some from Mexico who were dirt poor and still did it. Some from vietnam who came here on a damn little boat 4 times before they became citizens. Here is what my Mexican friend said about iligals:

"People coming here illegaly give all of us immigrants a bad name. My family worked hard to become citiznes. We didn't have money, and we worked long hours. It took us 6 years, but we did it. In those 6 years, we taught ourselves english, learned about the country, contacted companies about work, and spoke with immigration services constantly. If the people who really want to be in this country and not be harassed about it will work hard to do it the right way. Being an immigrant myself, I still have no problem with the laws Arizona are enforcing. I say make it more strict. If you are in this country and you have to 'press 2', then you should go back home. I came here with barely any education, and just new to speaking english fluently. I now have a Bachelors and make more money than a lot of people I know. My family did it right for us, and that's how it should be. If you want it, work at it."

That's from someone who was an immigrant. And everyone I know who came from another country feels the same way. The problem, like stated earlier, is the fact that a lot of cities give out State ID's, driver's license, and what not. Banks like Woodforest (at Wal-Mart) and even Bank of America don't care who they do business with, and it encourages illegals to come here because they can get by. This is where the government needs to focus first.

My :my2cents:

Jose

(and for clarity, I'm Puerto Rican)

Edited by 180sx

Here is what my Mexican friend said about iligals:

"People coming here illegaly give all of us immigrants a bad name. My family worked hard to become citiznes. We didn't have money, and we worked long hours. It took us 6 years, but we did it. In those 6 years, we taught ourselves english, learned about the country, contacted companies about work, and spoke with immigration services constantly. If the people who really want to be in this country and not be harassed about it will work hard to do it the right way. Being an immigrant myself, I still have no problem with the laws Arizona are enforcing. I say make it more strict. If you are in this country and you have to 'press 2', then you should go back home. I came here with barely any education, and just new to speaking english fluently. I now have a Bachelors and make more money than a lot of people I know. My family did it right for us, and that's how it should be. If you want it, work at it."

A-fskcin-Men brotha! Work hard and do it right... don't take jobs from legal US citizens because you're willing to work for pennies on the dollar...

OK THIS IS BULL@!*%

It seems to me like the USA government got its head up its ass because of people like B.H. Obama.

1. Its not hard to immigrate from Mexico legally.

2. The Arizona immigration law is A MIRROR IMAGE of the current federal law.

3. Anyone that supports illegals is a moron.

4. Racial profiling or any kind of profiling is how police work is supposed to be done. Don't tell me that its the white people that are crossing the mexican border.

5. If you don't agree with the above, go cry to your mommy.

Also, if you think the US treats illegals bad you are dead wrong, first look at how Mexico treats their illegal immigrants.

FYI, The illegals are moving into Canada next, so the USA is not alone.

Edited by Tungsten