Abs Discussion

sumguy67

I've done some searching and there doesn't seem to be a lot on ABS here.

One question I have:

Can I simply bypass and/or remove the ABS?

My thoughts are that, for an off road truck, I want as little as possible to go wrong.

Loosing rear brakes due to a sensor or a solenoid isn't worth the risk on an incline.... not just for ABS.

It seems to me it's pretty straight forward. Are there any issues with this?

Thanks

(remember I'm a Pathy newbie)

Edited by sumguy67

I've done some searching and there doesn't seem to be a lot on ABS here.

One question I have:

Can I simply bypass and/or remove the ABS?

My thoughts are that, for an off road truck, I want as little as possible to go wrong.

Loosing rear brakes due to a sensor or a solenoid isn't worth the risk on an incline.... not just for ABS.

It seems to me it's pretty straight forward. Are there any issues with this?

Thanks

(remember I'm a Pathy newbie)

Well, IIRC, most ABS systems to dont operate at low speeds(somewhere around 15mph[12 IIRC]). So worring about the ABS operating when offroading is kind of a moot point. Besides, when there is a ABS failure, the ABS is automaticly bypassed and regular braking(no ABS) takes over. Now, there is the possible acutator sticking, but you are only talking about rear ABS on our rigs. If they have a issue, there is only so many things it can be.

Personally, the rear ABS has helped me several times on the road when some yahoo hits the brakes, and I had to do the same. Makes a nice barking noise withe 33's installed! :my2cents:

Well, IIRC, most ABS systems to dont operate at low speeds(somewhere around 15mph[12 IIRC]). So worring about the ABS operating when offroading is kind of a moot point. Besides, when there is a ABS failure, the ABS is automaticly bypassed and regular braking(no ABS) takes over. Now, there is the possible acutator sticking, but you are only talking about rear ABS on our rigs. If they have a issue, there is only so many things it can be.

Personally, the rear ABS has helped me several times on the road when some yahoo hits the brakes, and I had to do the same. Makes a nice barking noise withe 33's installed! :my2cents:

Barking 33's..... now that sounds fun!!!

On a 15-20yr old vehicle I'm beginning to think stripping it down to bare minimum may not be a bad idea.

A battery, a Megasquirt and hardwired lights..... what else do you need??? HA!

Our ABS system fails safe, as in if anything goes wrong, ABS will not work, but the brakes function as normal non ABS brakes. I knocked my sensor on a rock a few years ago and have been driving without ABS since.