Speedo Not Working

Yendor

I just changed the speed sensor in my truck, hoping that would solve my speed problems, but it's still not working correctly. It's either working or not and more often than not, it's not working. I've looked through my Haynes manual and the FSM and I can't find anything. I did check the wiring and couldn't find anything, but I really suck at electrical things. Can anyone shed some light on what else I have to look for?

I just changed the speed sensor in my truck, hoping that would solve my speed problems, but it's still not working correctly. It's either working or not and more often than not, it's not working. I've looked through my Haynes manual and the FSM and I can't find anything. I did check the wiring and couldn't find anything, but I really suck at electrical things. Can anyone shed some light on what else I have to look for?

When I did the engine swap in my pathy I had similar problem. It'd work for a while then not, then come back to life and jump and... Turns out that it was the wire bundle brushing the exhaust manifold - and shorting things out. In my case it was because I didn't get it put back together properly, but after looking at it, the wire bundle could slip off the bracket and do the same thing. The bundle you are looking for should be on the rear of the block on the passenger side. The bracket is on one of the top bolts that hold the bell-housing to the block. Check to see if it has come loose and is rubbing something it shouldn't. You might also try cleaning the connector it goes to, that's on the fender well IIRC.

Apparently this is a know issue with these trucks. I think I remember a recall or warranty notice for it.

When I bought my '95, the gauge cluster had been replaced due to this. But it didn't fix the problem.

It is still an issue.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread 'cause I need to fix it too!

Well, our speedos and tachs, well, suck. Yes, they do fail quite regularly. some who have put in a new one, have had good luck with it working for a long time. I am one of those people. I would hunt for one in a J/Y and swap it in and see if it takes care of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I know of. The electronic speedo/tack for the 94-95 are problematic. First, pull the cluster, check the connections and tighten the brass screws, they are ground points that can loosen. I have swapped out parts from 2 clusters to make one with all working parts (so far so good) and when I did that, the dead tach that I swapped out came back to life in my parts truck. Go figure... :shrug:

B

Not that I know of. The electronic speedo/tack for the 94-95 are problematic. First, pull the cluster, check the connections and tighten the brass screws, they are ground points that can loosen. I have swapped out parts from 2 clusters to make one with all working parts (so far so good) and when I did that, the dead tach that I swapped out came back to life in my parts truck. Go figure... :shrug:

B

Sounds like a 'smack it" solution is in order. :deadhorse:

Has anyone put in aftermarket speedo and tach for off-road apps?

I've seen a few done on the 93 and older models. I know one Xterra owner who had a hell of a time getting one that would read the speed sensor signal properly.

• 3 weeks later...