Transfer Case Gears

Personally , I think it's a great modif for anyone that wheel hard their trucks... We're talking here climbing serious rocks (like the rubicon trail or the moab etc...) Not for the once-in-a-while trail up on the woods...

Yes it should work in the pathy...cause they have a link for it : https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfinder-transfer-case-gears-p-4076.html

With the trails I have done and about to do , If I had a tx10 in my rig, this would have been done for sure... I think you get the best of both world (high gear stays the same for fuel efficiency and low gear makes your pathy a crawler) and with 4.36 or 4.6 gears, you don't need to change these and have a very potent little crawler here.

I figured they're the same gears as the transfer case is the same but good to know these are offered for both vehicles.

I doubt I'll ever need these, and the pricetag's a bit too steep.

Thanks for the clarification!

Doesnt the atx14 have like a 2.4:1 Lo range vs the tx10's 2.0:1 lo range?

We're not talking about the ATX14, though. :rolleyes:

I think I can live with 4.636 gears and the OEM TX-10 gears... Not worth spending a grand just to crawl. :shrug:

I installed the low-range 3.7:1 gears in my R50 about 4 years ago, and they completely transformed the way I go 4-wheeling now.

With the stock 2.02:1 transfer case gears, for rock-crawling, you will burn up your clutch in a hurry (MT), and you'll ultimately bang up the undercarriage a lot due to excessive speed while going over rocks. With the auto tranny, you MUST use 2 feet all the time to keep the torque up (torque converter slipping). One foot on the gas, one on the brake: it gets old.

Additionally, at higher altitudes (7000+ feet), the stock engine does not have enough power in 2.02:1 low range to climb any kind of steep slope.

If you rock-crawl at all, and need the low-speed control of the crawler gears, they work great.

To give you an idea of how much reduction the gears offer, when I'm at near redline in low-range and 2nd gear (AT), my speed is just a few mph less than running near redline in 1st gear with the stock low range.

Edited by XPLORx4

I installed the low-range 3.7:1 gears in my R50 about 4 years ago, and they completely transformed the way I go 4-wheeling now.

With the stock 2.02:1 transfer case gears, for rock-crawling, you will burn up your clutch in a hurry (MT), and you'll ultimately bang up the undercarriage a lot due to excessive speed while going over rocks. With the auto tranny, you MUST use 2 feet all the time to keep the torque up (torque converter slipping). One foot on the gas, one on the brake: it gets old.

Additionally, at higher altitudes (7000+ feet), the stock engine does not have enough power in 2.02:1 low range to climb any kind of steep slope.

If you rock-crawl at all, and need the low-speed control of the crawler gears, they work great.

To give you an idea of how much reduction the gears offer, when I'm at near redline in low-range and 2nd gear (AT), my speed is just a few mph less than running near redline in 1st gear with the stock low range.

With your endorsement, I am more inclined to think this is a good mod. Hopefully I have an extra grand lying around at some point... :shrug:

Aside from rock-crawling, I take it these 3.7:1 gears are just all around good for any type of incline requiring slow speed but ample torque. I can think of a few places where this type of approach is the only option.

These badboys teamed up with ARB air lockers and some Toyo M/T tires would make for a pretty versatile R50!

These badboys teamed up with ARB air lockers and some Toyo M/T tires would make for a pretty versatile R50!

These gears, teamed up with dual ARB lockers and 32" Goodyear MTR's makes a pretty versatile R50, too! :jig:

With your endorsement, I am more inclined to think this is a good mod. Hopefully I have an extra grand lying around at some point... shrug.gif

Aside from rock-crawling, I take it these 3.7:1 gears are just all around good for any type of incline requiring slow speed but ample torque. I can think of a few places where this type of approach is the only option.

These gears, teamed up with dual ARB lockers and 32" Goodyear MTR's makes a pretty versatile R50, too! Just_Cuz_13.gif

yes, but as I've seen on N4W once locked and geared new weak links appear. CV's.... and stretching the drive chain inside the TX10 esp since the newer rigs run a narrower chain.

Hell even my 20yr old pathy had stretched the chain some with no gears and no locks just moderate wheeling and some jumping lol(jumps will do it in a hurry lol) and the chain is like $300+ ...If I ever do gears, I have considered dropping the extra coin on an ATLAS box since its fully gear driven and guaranteed for life.

Having lower lo-gears makes a WORLD of difference!

Ignoring the fact that my truck is SAS'd, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFicwWdw65M

It would have been impossible to crawl that trail with the stock 2:1 gearing especially driving a manual trans even with the SAS. :aok:

Edited by SteeevO