Anyone Know How Well These Work?

NissanMullet

So my Pathy has 184K on the clock, and I know the engine or trans will be gone at some point soon. The truck is clean, never been in an accident and the original paint still looks pretty good. The interior is clean and there's no rust underneath. I would hate to let the vehicle go when in need of an engine or trans, and I don't really like the idea of pairing a rebuilt unit with either high mileage unit.

I love this vehicle and it works great for me taking my jetskis out and backing right into the water. So as an alternative to another gas engine with the old trans, or vice versa, I was looking into the diesel engines. I think they're cool, and I like the idea of good gas mileage. Maybe even a bio setup.

They sell them with the trans, and say that they will fit our vehicles. They run standing alone(no computer), have reasonably low mileage, and have a simple single exhaust down tube. I know there's a Diesel section here, but there's nothing in it, so I don't know if it even works.

Any thoughts? Is there any wiring guides or books out there?

Thanks! :beer:

:clickdalink:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350344595492&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=33615

I run the TD27 Turbo here in Oz. They are a strong litte engine. Just dont expect to get anywhere in a hurry. I had a few pages out of the R20 Terrano workshop manual (might be a better engine choice as it has the factory intercooled TD27), I will see if I can find where I d/l it from when I get home from work.

As Dave said, they are considerably slower (less power) than the V6, almost along the same line as the Z24. Yes, more torque and better mileage, who doesn't want that??

But you had better see what our glorious DMV says about converting a gas vehicle into a smog exempt diesel first. There may be some pretty big hurdles or even outright rules against it.

B

But you had better see what our glorious DMV says about converting a gas vehicle into a smog exempt diesel first. There may be some pretty big hurdles or even outright rules against it.

B

That is the biggy being in CA. Here in Ohio it would be no issue.

You can get imported low mile engines for pretty cheap. Japan makes people swap in new engines every 60k, so all the used ones get shipped here.

I know there would be hurdles with CA and the smog Referee. Considering that is a solvable problem, I'm concerned about wiring and making the truck go.

Probably the hard part will be finding a fuel tank, since you can't use the gas tank.

Probably the hard part will be finding a fuel tank, since you can't use the gas tank.

Really, people that doubt your ability to stuff the better fueled engine into your rig are the same ones that keep diesel out of this great country. the fuel tank is easy. keep the tank and just fab up a straight line for the return and supply. fuel pump is mechanical on the engine. Really i have a few questions that hopefully u done worked out, is the trans that bolts to the td27 one that we have here or does it have its own? since your already in CA, whats the sticker on a td27 out there ive seen them on ebay for 3 to 4k? also how hard is it to get parts for them here in the states?

Edited by bigboy72383

Really, people that doubt your ability to stuff the better fueled engine into your rig are the same ones that keep diesel out of this great country.

Where in the world did you come up with that?? No ever said it can't be done, much less don't do it. Hell, a lot of the member here are irritated that the diesel was never imported, much less the Patrol...

B

I have gone through this personally and the headache of obtaining the motor will kill you. All of the JDM motor importers will not touch the TD27 motor or any other diesel motor for that matter, unless it was an option on a vehicle in the states. If you really want to get one, the best option would be to get a whole front clip, but good luck finding anyone that will get one for you. There used to be tons of the TD27 motors floating around canada, but even the canadian JDM people are having problems getting ahold of them due to a new demand surge for them in the middle east.

Technically speaking, any of the importers can get in trouble or shut down if they intentionally bring a motor not authorized by the US EPA into the country. Most of them will tell you to get bent. The motors that you see on Ebay are actually accidents. They were not specifically requested by the importer, but just shoved into the shipping container by the company in Japan. I am not saying that it is impossible, becuase it definitely is not. They will definitely take you to the cleaners on price too, as they all know how rare they are.

I had a motor and trany lined up and it was going to be right at $2000 to my door, which is actually pretty awesome. I also had a place lined up to get me a WD21 front clip, for just a bit more than the $2000, which would have been supremely &^%*ing cool. The only problem for me was that my v6 motor died during the search, and I had to get the pathy running quickly as I drive it every day, so I went with the v6 that came the next day.

To answer the other question, the auto trans that bolts to the TD27 is the RE4R01A, just like the V6, but the bellhousing is completely different. There is a Nissan PN for the bellhousing, but no US dealers can even see it in their systems. Also, the transmission control unit is different to accomodate the hold function on the AT switch in the dash, not to say that the US one wouldn't control a JDM trans (because it will). Also, the trans mount bracket is different, so that would have to be fabbed (which if you are going to swap to a diesel, you should know how to weld lol). It is a direct injected motor, so there is no need for electronic control. The only controller present for the TD27 is the timer for the glow plugs. That would probably not come with the motor unless specifically arranged with the importer, so that would have to be made as well.

If after reading all of that and you are still curious, PM me and we can talk about it, and maybe I can point you in some directions you hadn't thought of.