My Other "hobby" Boomboxes

ahardb0dy

I'm not as much a collector as some of the guys I've met on the boombox forum I belong too, but we have had 3 meets so far, all 3 I hosted here in Florida at my clubhouse where I live, last meet this past March we had a couple fly over from Germany, ,members came from NY,NJ, chicago, Tenn, Alabama all over, here are some pics:

from 2010 meet:

4r85jc.jpg

34sgpw7.jpg

25grn8g.jpg

25fhhqe.jpg

iw44nk.jpg

e7f8k6.jpg

2gydjbo.jpg

4tworn.jpg

from 2009:

r0yqrr.jpg

256gqj4.jpg

4i3bd.jpg

from 2008:

98bq8n.jpg

333xugi.jpg

equn9e.jpg

2nk7c1.jpg

my Aiwa CS-880 that I bought brand new back in 1982, fully working sounds like new with original manual,registration card and brochure:

6tmhlg.jpg

make fun if you like ( I don't care,lol) but if I wanted to I could turn around and sell my Aiwa in the last pic for about $700 any day of the week, there def. is a huge market for these classics!!

No Adidas, I was a Nike Air wearer back in the day, lol

No break dancing clothes but plenty of music from that era, we even had a professional photographer at this years meet who is working on a boombox book, he also took the cover photo for Time magazine that covered 9-11

the first pic under 2009, the 2 boomboxes on the right that are the same except for the color, are from Germany and typically go for about $1500 !! if you could find one that is.

But I am not a collector like some of my buddies, I have the Aiwa I bought new ( which is rare to still own after 28 years!!), I have another big Aiwa I bought on E-bay for cheap and a 3rd little one a friend gave me after the 2009 meet, some of these guys have in the hundreds, one guy has about 50 of the same exact one and they are all mint!

Oh, I also collect Knives but no pics yet.

I saw some unique ones when I got to go on a "Tiger Cruise" (Military dependants could ride the ship for a week)when I was 8 (circa 1982). Almost everyone on the ship bought either a boom box or a VCR (or both...) in Hong Kong when they had passed through there. I distinctly remember seeing a lot of the 8 cone unit in your second 2010 pic.

you may have been familiar with a magazine called "off duty", i started an old ad's thread on the boombox forum and someone posted about 8 pages showing all kind of boomboxes from an issue of "off duty" which I was told was a military magazine

"different" hobby but I can't say anything... as long as you enjoy it, it's like old trainsets or hot wheels I would guess. Where's the guy spinning around on the cardboard at?

I'll be posting my knife pics in a few minutes, just pulled them all out, put them on the table took some pics and put them all back away, I'm sweating!! check out the thread you linked to in a few minutes

"different" hobby but I can't say anything... as long as you enjoy it, it's like old trainsets or hot wheels I would guess. Where's the guy spinning around on the cardboard at?

we left him out in the parking lot,lol