Plagued Error Code

Skip

I've got a 92 KA24E that runs great, but since I have had it it has had an error code for the EGR function(32). I have noticed that if I reset it, it will stay off for a day or two then it comes back on. I have done a full tune up, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, oil/ filter, PCV, Cleaned the filter inlet side of the breather, adjust the timing and new belts. I have noticed that when I'm driving, when I let off the gas and shift then push back on the gas, it is almost like a backfire but there is not a bang...it is more of a fffffft. Would that be why I'm getting the code? I'm at 8 degrees advanced on my timing, my muffler is rusted kinda bad and my catalytic converter has been punched. (heads up on the other contributing factors) Where should my timing be? Does the engine need the back pressure of the muffler and the cat? Please excuse the 1,000 questions, my head is spinning from all the probabilities. Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated. THANKS!

My guess is that your EGR valve isn't functioning correctly, has a torn diaphram, etc or the EGR tube is clogged with crud build up. I can't tell you how to check it as I'm not familiar with that set up, but that is where to start.

B

Okay, Thanks for the response. The code its throwing, does that mean that the EGR isn't functioning at all or that it is receiving irregular signals? I've gotta replace the muffler anyways, Any direction you can point me in to buy a EGR for a decent price? I've seen 'em for $140 "Ouch!" I guess I'd better get on it and see how close to 500 hp I can get out of that mouse...:) J/K

Skip, trouble shoot the EGR first, it may not need replacing, just cleaning. IF you do not have a manual, buy a Haynes, it will help.

As for 500hp, my 84 D720 with the Z24I was rated at 106hp factory fresh. Best damn vehicle I have ever owned, but also one of the slowest. That includes the VW bugs I've had...

B

Skip, trouble shoot the EGR first, it may not need replacing, just cleaning. IF you do not have a manual, buy a Haynes, it will help.

As for 500hp, my 84 D720 with the Z24I was rated at 106hp factory fresh. Best damn vehicle I have ever owned, but also one of the slowest. That includes the VW bugs I've had...

B

Alright, this weekend I'm going to pull it apart and see what I come up with. Yep, she's a snail, but the way things are around here (VEGAS) I'm gonna hang on to her, and roll with the punches. I'll upgrade eventually :)

I looked in the FSM for a 94 that I have ( don't have one for a 92) but I think you can download it from this site. anyway in 94 FSM, the EC section on page 240 it takes you thru the steps to troubleshoot the EGR function when code 32 is present

You need backpressure to make the EGR work. It uses backpressure at the BPT valve, which opens up and allows vacume to the EGR valve and allowing exhaust gas to recirculate. Punching out the cat does very little as far as performance. You can get a high flow cat that will keep you legal and pass emission tests if you have them. The easy way to check the EGR is to push up on the valve from underneath and see if the idle speed begins to stumble(you could to the same with a vacuum pump, if you wanna get technical). You also want to check the hose(rubber) on the bottom of the BPT valve. This hose is about 2in long and is very prone to rotting out on just about all nissan vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, Thanks a bunch for the info! I'll see what I can come up with. (the hose on the BPT was rotted out)

all else aside the KA24DE can get pretty close to the 500 mark when you build it and boost it.. althought you have the KA24E that is a little bit of a problem lol ...(my 240sx days are showing)

Edited by BIGPHIL