Manual transmission TSB

• 3 months later...

i went and bought some new gear oil today and im about to drain the trans and refill it but the thing is if this is such a problem why didnt nissan reconize it?

im not trying to say im a nissan guru or anything because im obviously not im just wondering why the bulletin is from autozone and not nissan. i also have a hayes manual and it says the 1990 and on models take 3.6 and my truck a 1988 only takes 2.4liters

im sort of worried about "over filling" my trans because i dont want to bust any sels or anything

Not ALL GL-5 fluids are harmful to our transmissions. There are some that don't contain the soft metal corrosive additives that can be used.

You just have to be sure to research which fluids are not corrosive to soft (yellow) metals.

Oh, and if you have a V6 engine, you definitely want 5.1qts in there.

It might help. It might not. It depends on how far gone the bearing is.

Try a quality synthetic lube, and some lucas oil stabilizer in there, at a ratio of no more than 20%. That should help quiet it down. Also, it should slow down any wear/problems in the tranny that are the source of your whine.

thank you for the alternative problems just the thought of having to rebuild my trans gives me nightmares. im pretty sure my hubs are unlocked i still have the stock automatic ones i put my truck in reverse and back up about 15 feet and no click so i assume they are unlocked. what should i look for if it would be the diff?"

no click means there is an issue there.*

* put it in 4xhi and drive forward some.. you should hear them click.. then back up 1m (3.3ft) and you should hear them click again.. that's unlocked for sure.

Edited by mzxtreme

thank you i will do that. i just went and bought some redline mt90 at $9.99 a quart not too bad i suppose to what ive heard others paying for it plus they had it in stock so if anyone in southern CA needs some theres a place in hesperia called reeds automotive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just fixed my trans with this same issue. Although it turned out to be the rear main bearing which was toasted I opted for a complete rebuild. It may be possible to fix this problem by removing the trans and just replacing the 15$ bearing.

My 2 cents.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey. I have a 2.7 Turbo Diesel with the Manual 5 speed gearbox. The one in question i believe. I have a slight whine in 3rd gear only and its quite quiet. Do you think its the same problem and if so do you think its too late?

Sweet will do, also I got recommended Castrol VMX by a local auto supplies shop, namedy Repco. Any Ideas? I wasn't sure if it was GL-5 Coz they didn't have any in stock. Where is the best place to get Redline in NZ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...