New Wd21 In San Diego After 1800 Mi Drive + Pics

FinalBoss

Hello NPORA. My name is Mike and I'm a new Pathfinder owner from San Diego. I've been doing a lot of research lately and NPORA has proven invaluable. I thought my post would be better situated here since it's an older model. Let see, where to begin?

I gave my little brother my built XJ last year and I've missed having a 4x4 for awhile now. With dumb luck my father in law said I could go visit them in Washington state and pick up their used 4x4. All I knew at the time was that it was a 1994 Pathfinder, red in color, and 5 speed. My wife and I vaguely remembered it looking very old and beat up, but we flew out there last week to drive it down. I found this forum, did my due diligence, and expected the worst. Things like frame rot, broken manifold bolts, and general maintenance problems seemed like a given.

Anyways, we fly up there and here she is.

34ifhqt.jpg

Back

21akboy.jpg

She was in great shape!! It ended up being a 1994 Pathfinder 4x4, 5 speed, with only 76k mi. As a bonus, it had almost no rust and was in great shape! There was tons of moss growing all over the paint, plastic bits, and glass but it looked a lot better than we remembered.

So, we decided to head from Olympia, WA to Vancouver, BC for a little overnight stay with the little beast.

2jib93.jpg

Hyatt Vancouver, BC.

111ujwn.jpg

ddcgu9.jpg

35lthj6.jpg

The next day we took a little drive around the city. This is Stanley Park.

akbsqb.jpg

The beast at the park. At the park I popped the hood to check the oil. On the airbox there's a sticker that says "TB Changed 60k mi. on 6/15/2003." She was driven 16k mi. in 7 years!

1zlq9v7.jpg

mw762w.jpg

Driving back to the US.

104q2is.jpg

This little guy hitched a ride with us back to the States. No problem at the border...

acfs6e.jpg

After a night with the in-laws we head 1400 miles back to San Diego.

2rnwljb.jpg

whz2g0.jpg

Is there any way to fix the dashboard area around the vent?

2vcgnqb.jpg

2h5nsj4.jpg

After 22 hours of straight driving she is parked at her new home.

21alaoh.jpg

Can anyone give me info on this tire carrier? All of the other PFs I've seen have a body mounted carrier. Was this a dealer installed option?

eb5soh.jpg

anfuqg.jpg

Undercarriage shots of a 16 year old car from Olympia, WA.

1zg5b11.jpg

nv1mb9.jpg

3148i28.jpg

124fr0y.jpg

fyfy37.jpg

And there she is. She does have the infamous start-up ticking that goes away after warm-up. Other than that she runs like a top. I plan to add a 3" body lift from 4x4parts.com and some 32" tires in the future. Other than that, she is staying untouched and unmolested. Are there any other WD21 PF owners in San Diego or Orange County? I lifted the XJ by myself, but have never done a body lift. Beer and pizza anyone?

Edited by FinalBoss

yeah..... pretty much.... you found a 94 with 76k miles... there are going to be a lot of folks around here green with envy! congrats and welcome to the fold.

as far as the tire carrier, it looks aftermarket to me, i have seen similar ones for sale here and there, looks sweet if i do say so.

and the plastic trim around the windows, are you referring to the "black plastic film over stainless" windshield moldings? or the side window trim/seals? if its the windshield i wouldnt worry about it, peel the plastic off and have it painted, if its the side windows just get the parts from the dealer and carefully replace.

oh, and probably the only way to fix that dash would be to replace the entire upper pad, wouldnt be hard if you could find a good used one, or wanna throw down the cash for a new one.

That's a pretty nice Pathy to have fall in your lap!

What part of SD are you in? I would have gotten in too much trouble if I had my Pathfinders (or any other 4x)when I lived there.

Congrats, that is a hell of a find!! You have me beat, my 95 has 103k on it... :D

Looks to me like that is a custom fabbed tire carrier, I haven't seen one like it before.

The body lift isn't that hard, but a place to work on it and a second set of hands/eyeballs helps a lot!!

I'm parting out a 95 and the dash in it is good...

Welcome to NPORA BTW!! There are several members near you so I'm sure you can get some help/wheeling buddies.

B

Welcome to the Forum WAVEY

That beast looks cherry, looks like it just rolled out of the showroom floor looking from the side...One thing I noticed though is the manual winndow crank?..I didnt know 94 came with no power option.

Thats the second pathy ive seen with that tire carrier. I like that better than the factory. I saw one at the JY before and I was going to pull it but the darn thing was rusted bad . Can you maybe take measurements of it when you take em off to paint it...you are going to paint that carrier right? :jig:

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'm located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego. Are there many SD members on NPORA? I really like the looks of the stock tire carrier, but this one is working fine so I'm set for now. The eroded trim I'm referring to is every black plastic part around each window. They are all badly eroded. Is the dealer the only option? I was hoping there was some kind of universal trim that is cut to fit. How do companies that replace vehicle windows work around this problem? I'd rather just drive it without letting this project get out of control, but I can totally see it happening.

Are there any SD NPORA members that are into the shooting sports? I go out to BLM land (Jacumba) every once in awhile to shoot, bbq, and play in the sand.

Finally, are there any stock bumper guards that show up on PF at the JY? I've never looked at PFs in the yard while looking for Jeep bits, but I'd like a simple metal guard. Do I have any chance at coming across such a find?

OSR - I like your fogs and aux. light setup. Was that an easy install?

WHY3ZX - The stainless trim around the windshield is flaking too. I'll look into painting it when I get around to a detail overhaul. The interior is very musty and the headliner is falling down. I've seen the NPORA solutions for the headliner and I think I'll vinyl paint it. =)

GrimGreg - What kind of bumper is on the red PF? It looks nice!

Precise1 - haha, about the plug! Do you have the cupholder piece from the armrest? It's that little fold-down thing.

PR - If it ever comes off I'll pm you the measurements. =)

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

All stock bumpers on my 93, painted with Herculiner. The grill guard is a factory one I got off a friend, it was missing the headlight hoops when I got it. Here is a better pic:

DSC00290.jpg

Nice rig man! Yup, up her in WA rust is pretty non existent... unless its a beach area. 70k mi... dude.. you got one hell of a good truck to invest in... if i had that many miles i would be dumping the mods into it.. :treadmill:

:lol:

There is a stock grill guard for sale in the classified section, I believe...

The stock window trim sucks and deteriorates, just a matter of how fast. It is stupid expensive from the dealer, something like $200 a window...

Sorry, the center console was one of the first things to be sold, it is in Puerto Rico IIRC... :D

B

If I knew you'd be down in Vancouver. We could of taking your rig out with mine to break it in. And you mentioned the vents on your dash if they're the ones I'm thinking of. The three narrow ones just before the windshield. If they're lifting up in the corners, cause that's what mine were doing. Just super glue them down.

• 4 weeks later...

The tire guard looks to me like it maybe off a s10 blazer...(theres also a company that makes the one,I forget the name of it though)

Fantastic find,thats truly a nice truck,Welcome to the site and I hope you have trouble free years with that truck(94 tb's are changed at 105k)

Thats a really clean truck and great luck to have that come your way! & Welcome to NPORA.

I'm up near San Bernardino and we have quite a few people down in San Diego on the Rugged Rocks board. Infact they went on a run today down near the mexican border. I hear they had a good run. i'm anxiously waiting for the pics to be posted on the Rugged Rocks later tonight or tomorrow.

Feel free to drop by the rugged rocks board if you want to wheel with us. the majority of us are in so cal.

That's a sweet find and welcome to the forum! Did you continue to take I5 South through Portland, OR? If so what time? I remember seeing a truck exactly like that here in Vancouver, WA heading south.

Hey guys,

I didn't realize this thread was still going. I guess I forgot to set the email notifications. Anyways, I drove straight from WA to San Diego, CA straight down the 5 freeway with only fuel stops. I don't exactly recall the time, but we were driving for around 22 hours.

5523 - That would be a trip? What a small world!

The truck is running extremely well. I'd like to throw a body lift on her as soon as I can set aside some time. Are there any build parties planned in the San Diego/Orange County/Los Angeles areas anytime soon?

Steevo - Thanks for the invitation. I'll come and check you guys out!

NPORA - You guys all rock. Thanks for the warm welcome.

-Mike

That's a sweet find and welcome to the forum! Did you continue to take I5 South through Portland, OR? If so what time? I remember seeing a truck exactly like that here in Vancouver, WA heading south.