Time To Deck Out My Pathfinder

i am looking for many suggestions on what to do with my pathfinder. To start, it is a 97 klondike edition, only 150 000km on it. I am approaching mods on two levels, what i can do for suspension/off roading, and what i can do for MPG. already looking at warn hubs, and getting some good tires on it (right now they are rather crappy for any off roading), i am figuring of upgrading the suspension, maybe a lift kit, also planning on building custom skid plates for it. On the MPG side, i have been told that changing the Warn hubs well help out a bit, but i figure doing a good tune up, high quality wires and spark plugs, and a cold air intake well help a lot to start. Now lets hear the suggestions all you guys have. What other mods do you suggest for the suspension, what are the best lift kits, struts, etc. Any other suggestions for increasing MPG? Best cold air intakes, any suggestions on messing with the timing? ETC, i am open to learning everything i can. Cheers everyone

Ok I'll be the first, Everything you are asking is already on a pinned link. Just a simple search will answer everything.

I did new fluids and hubs on my 97 and am getting 20mpg on highway so that helped a bit. 4x4parts.com will have everything you need for a lift

James

Lots of info on lifts in the stickied threads/FAQ's.

Look at the 2" AC Lift (4x4parts), or the OME lift.

There is also a tire review thread, which should give you some info on the different tires available. I would suggest if MPG is a concern sticking with AT's instead of upgrading to MT's.

thanks for the replies guys, i have found a bunch of great info already here, i haven't been able to find any info on direct comparisons of coldair intakes yet, I phoned my local AutoValue, and they didn't have a listing for a K&N one even. Going to go and check out 4x4parts.com and see what great upgrades are around. I am thinking of making my own skid plates, probably using some aluminum backed with channel, to give it strength, but keep the weight down. Also going to go to a higher quality spark plug, hopefully pull 1-2mpg out of that. After that it is messing with the timing a bit, see what can be done there.

ok, so i have been to 4x4parts.com, and WHAT A GREAT SITE!!! so after going through a bunch of stuff, here is what i am at. air intake, still not sure which brand, but definetly going to upgrade, a throttle body spacer, they are talking 5hp increase, which for $100 bucks, i am all over. and in a couple months, looking at their pro suspension lift, gives about 2 inch of lift, which well be great. Noticed two types of hubs sold there, the Warn hubs and another name i don't recognize. i read in a previous thread that i well need to either buy the stud kit too, or find something local. Any thoughts on the other brand of hubs, i think i would rather go with warn, but if the other brand is good, i am willing to give them a shot. Cheers and thanks for all the commments

I have the Mile Marker Hubs from them and they are just fine. I also did not have to replace any studs so they were very easy to install. I have read that the throttle body spaces are a complete waste of money so I don't think I would spend my money there. Also just a standard air filter works just fine. Some of the oiled type (K&N) can throw CEL. Save the pennys and get the lift.

James

I have the Mile Marker Hubs from them and they are just fine. I also did not have to replace any studs so they were very easy to install. I have read that the throttle body spaces are a complete waste of money so I don't think I would spend my money there. Also just a standard air filter works just fine. Some of the oiled type (K&N) can throw CEL. Save the pennys and get the lift.

James

i looked at those hubs, i have a question, are they all metal?, they kind of look plastic from the pictures, and i would definetly like to go metal.

• 2 weeks later...

so i am going to do my own custom intake this weekend, i have a question to throw out there before i start. there seems to be a small vacuum line on the old air box. Does this need to go back before the MAF sensor? or can i put it between the MAF and the intake?

so i am going to do my own custom intake this weekend, i have a question to throw out there before i start. there seems to be a small vacuum line on the old air box. Does this need to go back before the MAF sensor? or can i put it between the MAF and the intake?

when i did my short ram, i just left that air hose alone. if you think about it, if it is drawing air constantly, being attached to something isnt going to matter cause theres no restriction with it being connected to the air box. i just let it hang, had no issues. i did my short ram for about 25 bucks. just got a MAF sensor adaptor and spectre filter from oreilly's, and adapted the whole thing into the stock tubing. the inner of the tubing is already 2 3/4" no point in going to metal tubing, unless your going to snorkel.

lol, i wish mine only cost $25 bucks, I wanted to remove all the plastic, from what i can figure, at its smallest it is only 2inches wide, so now i have it all 3 inch aluminum. I was going to have to order the MAF adapter online, so i built my own, which actually worked out quite well, because i made it large enough that i custom make a air box/shield to deflect some of the warm air coming from the the engine compartment. I well say one thing, after getting it done, i noticed a HUGE difference in power.

lol, i wish mine only cost $25 bucks, I wanted to remove all the plastic, from what i can figure, at its smallest it is only 2inches wide, so now i have it all 3 inch aluminum. I was going to have to order the MAF adapter online, so i built my own, which actually worked out quite well, because i made it large enough that i custom make a air box/shield to deflect some of the warm air coming from the the engine compartment. I well say one thing, after getting it done, i noticed a HUGE difference in power.

which is surprising, because a short ram intake doesnt do much for these engines without an exhaust to keep the freedom of flow. the only thing i noticed was a much nicer growl from the engine bay ;)

well that is good news, because next week it is getting a new, larger exhaust too, but as it stands now, i am thoroughly empressed with the power increase i have seen. New exhaust next week, and sometime in May Mile Marker hubs, and suspension lift. I am having a blast with this pathfinder

be careful with the exhaust. too free flowing of an exhaust and you'll lose quite a bit of low-end pull.

what you're probably experiencing with the intake is just a better throttle response. on NA engines, intakes typically only yield about 5-7hp at the crank, which results in almost nothing at the wheels. but, the benefit to intakes are improved throttle response, better MPG, and what skulptr said about a better sound under hood.

Edited by edwinsyip

be careful with the exhaust. too free flowing of an exhaust and you'll lose quite a bit of low-end pull.

this is true. dont go any bigger than 2 1/2" ID if your going to do dual. if your going to go dual to single like it currently is, 2 1/2" to the muffler, then a max of 3 from the muffler out.

i don't currently have anything on my exhaust. my muffler rusted so i just cut it off until i get the solution i want. i lost a little power to the pipes being so short. so keep some back pressure on it.

talked it over with the local muffler shop, we are going with a 2 1/2 inch clearance, and taking the resonator out. as far as the extra power, it could definetly be better throttle response. I am looking forward to all the mods, and seeing what the end project is going to be like.

talked it over with the local muffler shop, we are going with a 2 1/2 inch clearance, and taking the resonator out. as far as the extra power, it could definetly be better throttle response. I am looking forward to all the mods, and seeing what the end project is going to be like.

what are you going to use as a replacement muffler? resonator isnt important, mine fell off a long time ago.

what are you going to use as a replacement muffler? resonator isnt important, mine fell off a long time ago.

i am not sure what brand the muffler shop was going to use to replace it, i know they suggested the resonator come off too. They are going to replace all the way to the exhaust manifolds, so i should be getting good clearance. I did a mileage check with the new intake and with a mix of hiway/city driving, i am getting 19-20mpg, and great throttle response too. Can't wait to see what happens with new hubs and exhaust.

you're getting 19-20 with just a cone filter?! damn, that's pretty good! are you getting on it at all or do you drive pretty conservatively? makes me want to go get a K&N FIPK from ebay more and more now. or just a MAF adapter. who knows. probably going to get my WARN hubs once i get my 120k done. got to start getting everything together to get it done.

Just a quick question, regarding the K&N filter and the MAF adaprter, i have a 98 chilkoot and wanted to know what you went with? I too am looking to improve the mpg. Also if anyone knows any shops in the victoria bc that do good work i would really like to know. thanks

so i got my mile marker hubs, and installed, one side works fine, the other turns about 1/4 turn and then binds up, WTF, so i take it apart, a piece of the spring where that pin quide is, is scraching the housing, and binding.

Just a quick question, regarding the K&N filter and the MAF adaprter, i have a 98 chilkoot and wanted to know what you went with? I too am looking to improve the mpg. Also if anyone knows any shops in the victoria bc that do good work i would really like to know. thanks

if you don't want to do it yourself, go to any exhaust shop, i went with brushed alluminum pipe, pre bent, and a aftermarket filter