Somebody Skool Me

headpeace

Short story short - The other night my starter made a crazy sound at start up, replaced about 3 months ago. Anyway last night I started it and it sounded as though the starter gear never disengaged the flywheel, it just kept spinning and sounded like dog shiite. After many starts and disengages it finally acted/sounded correct. Is there a solenoid that engages the gear to actuate the flywheel, does the gear stay on the flywheel always? I need some advice

Edited by headpeace

The starter solenoid pulls a lever that throws the starter gear out to mesh with the flywheel. Once the 12v is cut off (i.e. you let go of the key) it should disengage and slide back. Sounds like the starter gear got hung up and didn't retract. That will usually sound like a Muslim dog as you described and is typical of the quality problems found in today's rebuilt parts market.

I had one that wouldn't shut off. I had to jump out and yank the battery cable to make it stop. Chances are if you try to return it they'll bench test it and won't find a problem so you end up wasting an afternoon pulling it, getting a ride, getting no satisfaction from the parts guy and reinstalling it. I'd just keep an eye on it and if it acts up again swap it out.

will that cause any damage to the flywheel? i probably won't be able to get to it until this weekend and I gotta get to work but I don't want to tear anything up in the mean time if it happens again

Yeah it could. 4x4pathy94 had that happen to him just after his tranny went, talk about adding insult to injury. His was a rebuilt too.

Edited by adamzan