Changing Sparkplugs

dart6

Hi

I need to change the plugs and leads on my 95 terrano 3 litre.

Is it much of a job to remove the inlet manifold and do i need to install some sort of sealant to the gasket when i reinstall.

Lastly what plugs and plug gap would you recommend.

Thanks for looking

Hi

I need to change the plugs and leads on my 95 terrano 3 litre.

Is it much of a job to remove the inlet manifold and do i need to install some sort of sealant to the gasket when i reinstall.

Lastly what plugs and plug gap would you recommend.

Thanks for looking

trying to find a picture of the engine. no clue if its like my 1990 3.0v6 or if it changed.

if so you should be able to get to the plugs without taking anything off that has todo with the intake.

take a picture and post it. are you talking about the plugs deep under the intake? ifso you can get to them with en extension

just get the plugs that are gap less.

Edited by MTXaudioSYSTM

I don't know why you would want to remove the intake manifold unless you have a lot of crud in the spark plug wells and clean them out any other way.

NGK are the favored plugs, I went with the GP platinum for my 95 (stock #7092) and the gap is .032" or .81mm.

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1212017

There should be a tool kit that has the plug wrenches but others have said that a good spark plug socket and a long extension works fine also.

B

I don't know why you would want to remove the intake manifold unless you have a lot of crud in the spark plug wells and clean them out any other way.

NGK are the favored plugs, I went with the GP platinum for my 95 (stock #7092) and the gap is .032" or .81mm.

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1212017

There should be a tool kit that has the plug wrenches but others have said that a good spark plug socket and a long extension works fine also.

B

i had alot of crud so what i did was got a shop vac as far down as i could then stuck end of my air nozzle and used my compressor to blow the crap out.

you will have to start by removing the engine, and then only use champion racing plugs! as for sealer elmers glue is what i used

Good post,only thing is you use AC-Delco Plugs,champions are for weed wHakers and chain saws...

In our pathys we have run bosch, ac delco, autolite and NGK. My dad never had an issue with bosch in the 93 and in the r50 which now has ac delco plugs. But my 95 has NGK. My cheap 95 SE project came with autolites and it seemed to run fine but I didn't drive it much!

Related- I did a long, but unproductive search for: spark plug well boot clean debris or dirt.

Nothing useful.

Anyhow, this thread comes up the most, so..

What is the best method (your method) for cleaning out the dirt and debris that falls into the spark plug well, AND please share any method you have for keeping debris out?

Today, I pulled the metal spine from a used wiper blade and ground 1" of the tip into a slender point to fashion a tool that can reach down to the base of the spark plug well and scrape around the spark plug base to break up the debris so it can blow/vacuum it out: oh, and I put a ping-pong ball on the other end so I don't poke my eye out. I also found a long-reach crevice tool (vacuum cleaner) which I modified by cutting its end, from this shape: __/ to: ___| so it contacts the spark plug base better (Its from a Hoover upright bagless vacuum- The wife recently bought an Oreck; in case anyone wants to know). Also I put a small rubber hose on my blow gun to get down in there.

Does anyone know of a spark plug wire boot with some type of cover, that is suitable for our Pathy, to seal the spark plug well?

A rat recently started using the right valve cover as his dinner table: poop and shredded acorn is not too bad, but I dont like it when he started pooping down the spark plug well. It takes like a half-our to clean. Maybe this can go into the tip section if it evolves.

Edited by Derrik

The spark plug wells were packed on the wifes new pathy. 150k miles and the original plugs, the wells were packed with crap. I started the job by shop vacuuming out the oil soaked acorn husks and mouse sheit. What worked for me was to vacuum as much as possible (got a barbed end pipe fitting into the shop vac nozzle and necked it down to 3/8 inch), spray the plug well down with brake cleaner and then swab/mop with a 8" industrial Q-tip. Repeat until clean and then blow everything out/dry with compressed air, remove the plugs and then clean up all the stuff you didn't see before.

I wouldn't worry about any sort of caps, they won't really work anyway.

B