94 Pathfinder Water On Pass. Floor After It Rains

ahardb0dy

94 Pathfinder, I'm getting water on the pass. floor after it rains, I had to remove the carpet and padding from in front of the pass. seat as it was shot from water damage. When I first noticed the water it looked like the water was coming out of the main harness, I removed the factory tape on the harness and spread the wires out to dry, a day later I re-taped it up. I used a garden hose to see where the water was coming in from, both sunroof drains are working properly, the grommet for the door wires on the body side was not in properly and I fixed that but water still is getting in. We thought the water was coming into the outside air intake under the wiper cowl and I removed the plastic cover over it and put some RTV on the edge of the plastic and re-secured it using a few extra screws so it is held down more securely, but still getting water inside. Going out today to see if I can see any daylight from under the dash. I know it is not from the heater core as it is not even connected right now, and it can't be from the AC as the AC doesn't work yet. Anyone have any other places where I can look? THANKS

My Volvo had a similar problem, although it was a bit more obvious where the water was coming from. On that it was the windshield seal, and it was dripping onto the steering wheel.

Start by inspecting the windshield seal and also the weather seals on the door. Beyond that, good luck.

ok, went out before and ran some water down over the windshield, water started coming in and running down onto the pass. floor, looked under the dash with a flashlight and see where water is coming in from, still not sure how it is getting in though. there is a bracket that mounts the AC/heater box ?? it is up on the curved part of the floor I guess it is the inner fender, water is coming out from under the top part of this "U" shaped bracket. Also noticed in the lower corner of the windshield there is what appears to be a gap under the trim, no idea if this is where the water is coming in from but I applied some silicone under the trim, after it dries I will try the water test again, and hope fully that was the leak. My truck has a sunroof, we ran water down the drains and it exited out under the truck, no sign of water inside when we did this.

Oh man! that is the exact same problem I am having!

I know what U shaped bracket your talking about, and it seems like it's coming from that. The other place it could be coming from is the corner (seam) where the curved part of the floor meets the inner fender area.

If I put a hose on the top of my car and let it run, then pull back the carpet I can see a steady drip come down my floor from the firewall area.

I have sealed everything from the outside, every cable coming into the firewall, all the gaps around the windshield I mean EVERYTHING. No luck still leaks.

My guess:

There seems to be a channel that all water runs down (through the vent cowlings etc..) Somewhere in that channel (probably where I cant see) there is a crack in the metal, or a gap in the seam that is allowing water to enter the car. This would require removing the front side panel and the vents/cowlings where the windshield wiper motors are.

I am going to attempt to tear it down this summer. Let me know what you come up with.

-Mike

I'm going to try to take a picture of that bracket so more people can have an idea what we are talking about, for now I put some silicone in the lower corner of the windshield trim, tomorrow I'm going to hit it with the hose again to see what happens, if it still leaks I'll pull the fender and cowl off this weekend to investigate more, thanks for the reply.

just hosed down the windshield area and around the door and on the fender to check to see if leak is still there, checked inside after wetting each spot and did not see any water !! Might have got it, going to wait until after a heavy rain before I say it's 100% fixed. Ok here is a pic of where I saw the water leaking from:

30mb8zn.jpg

• Like 1

Thank God I'm not the one experiencing this problem. I own a 94 LE 4x4, and like some of you mine pours water on to the passenger side floor. Now except mine builds all of the water up in the heater box and when I make a left hand turn it dumps in through the fan on to the passenger side floor. So I can't say its a bracket like what ahardb0dy shown us. At first I thought it was the heater core leaking when it rains, so I had a pressure test done and thankfully it didn't leak. But the problem still persists and I'm kinda running out of options on what to do to solve this problem. But I will however save the picture for the future to point out to a body shop to see if water is pouring in through there. I'm just surprised that no one has notified the D.O.T. to file this as a possible safety recall, because the floor on the pass. side would rot out after years of water pouring on to it and staying there, which in result could cause a brutal injury or death to whoever is sitting in the passenger seat.

Enough of my ranting. Yes I too checked the drains for the cowl and the sunroof and they're working. Hey ahardb0dy, thanks for adding that picture man. That's really going to help in the long run. :coffee!: :FartExplode-vi::itsallgood:

• 2 weeks later...

Did that fix it? I siliconed all around my windshield and it didn't seem to help.

And that is the exact bracket mine was leaking from. Mine also seemed to be leaking from the corner ( Shown in photo) the bondo stuff that seals up the corner was loose and looks as if it has separated from the body a little.

4518943703_529294d3dc_b.jpg

it seemed to have fixed the leak on mine, haven't had any really hard rain lately but I hosed the area where I did before and I didn't see any water inside the cab.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I put some silicone in the lower corner of the windshield trim, the leak stopped, so I thought, the other night it rained pretty good here and I checked the floor and there was a little water!! Over the weekend I went out and bought a tube of black silicone and I ran a bead all the way around the windshield, thought that would stop any leaks, last night we had a really nasty rain for hours, at 3 a.m. I take the garbage out and check the floor of the truck and there is quite a bit of water!! So now I'm back to square one, may have to pull the fender to see if there is anything obvious where water may be coming in. OH WELL the saga continues......