1990 Pathy - 3 ?'s

martina0917

first of all, i would like to thank WheatBread for referring me to this site. i recently became the proud owner of a 1990 pathy, silver, auto, 2wd, but there are 2 things that are bothering me. pls help!

the first, it wont start in the mornings. it is necessary for me to step on the gas inorder for it to start. after it warmns up, then the problem is gone; its fires up right away. what can cause this problem?

secondly, the D is the only gear light that doesnt light up 100%. similarly, the fuel gauge works on and off. all fuses and wiring that goes to the dash have been checked, but nada.

finally, is there anyway you guys can provide an owner's manual for my '90 pathy?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME

jcp

Howdy!! Welcome to NPORA and thanks WheatBreat!!

You shouldn't have to step on the gas at all to start the truck if everything is in order. I may not answer your questions, but I'm going to get you started...

First, check the ECU under the passenger seat for fault codes. The write up on how to do it is in the Garage/How To section and is not hard to do. This may give you valuable insight and it is free.

I would guess that it has something to do with fuel, be it pressure, leaking injectors or something like that but that is just a hunch.

I'm going to pass on electrical advice, that is not my strong point.

Do yuo want an Owners manual or Factory Service manual?? The Service manual for a 1994 on is available for download. Look in the Garage section, pinned at the top. This might also give you a specific trouble shooting guide also so I recommend you get a copy. The differences between 90 and 94 is the dash, some trim and lights and that is about it so the 1994 FSM should serve you well for 90% of the truck. Sorry, there is no digitized copy of the 1990 manual that I know of. If you want an owners manual, I believe someone was selling one in the classifieds section (can't remember what year) otherwise try ebay?? :shrug:

B

I think it could ignition wires or distributor cap or even both..... Perhaps the the electrodes are worn down allowing for early morning dampness to screw things up.

I think some where on this tells you how to check them.

Oh and welcome NPORA

In regards to your fuel gauge working intermittently i had a same problem with my 92 a couple years ago.The only difference was that my temp. gauge would drop off simeltaneously with the fuel.The problem turned out to be a small regulator attached to the back of my gauge cluster.The fix was just a matter of removing the cluster, snipping the wires,drilling a small hole into the existing bad regulator and then screwing the new one right on top of the old one. Solder the new wires to the old wires that attach to the dash gauge cluster terminals.The regulator #KA7808 was what i used for a replacment which was purchased at a local electronics shop for 3 bucks.When i gave them that regulator number they cross referenced it but unfortunately i dont know what that number was.I found the writeup for this fix on this site i believe which included photos.If i find it ill post.

scan.jpg

The square silver regulator shown in this pic is the original unit that is defective.I drilled a hole in it in order to mount the new regulator(small black unit with the 3 wires coming off it.

Edited by bsb1957

first of all, i would like to thank WheatBread for referring me to this site. i recently became the proud owner of a 1990 pathy, silver, auto, 2wd, but there are 2 things that are bothering me. pls help!

the first, it wont start in the mornings. it is necessary for me to step on the gas inorder for it to start. after it warmns up, then the problem is gone; its fires up right away. what can cause this problem?

secondly, the D is the only gear light that doesnt light up 100%. similarly, the fuel gauge works on and off. all fuses and wiring that goes to the dash have been checked, but nada.

finally, is there anyway you guys can provide an owner's manual for my '90 pathy?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME

jcp

Welcome to the club!

Regarding your hard starts: I would also recommend changing your fuel filter. Before changing mine my truck took (in my opinion) too many turns to fire, after the new filter it fires right up. I think a full tune up would be a good idea aswell, your truck will run better and you'll have the peace of mind knowing when it was last done.

Best of luck!

are you flooring the gas or just giving it a bit? are you cranking it for a bit first before you floor it? pushing the pedal to the floor while cranking puts the computer into a "clear flood" mode, meaning it actually cuts the fuel down substantially, i think they guys above may be on to something about the ignition electrical being on the shady side, perhaps in the morning when the engine is cool and you naturally have a fatter fuel charge you dont have enough spark to pop it over, but when you lean it out your getting dry(er) plugs and getting her to pop. time for a tune up! Actually as i think about it, ill bet just a set of plugs would do you wonders

if thats the case im sticking with what i wrote above, i think your running fat and dousing the plugs due to the fact that you either dont have enough air flow, or enough spark, or a sensor problem causing your mix to be to fat, either way its starting when you lean it out by flooring the pedal.