Red-Head Steering Gears

MY1PATH

Not too long ago my steering box broke, It started allowing about 120degrees of play in the wheel before the box would allow. It was like playing pong every time I hit a pothole or bump in the road.

The reason my box broke, so all you are forewarned, is because I used a Pickle fork to remove my pitman when I was installing my hoohaa steering. ALWAYS USE A PITMAN PULLER!!! The pickle fork prys between the pitman and the box which also pulls the pitman shaft against an ajuster @ the top of the box. the ajuster is held on by 2 small tabs at the top of the shaft and when they break your shaft will drop down about 1/4"-1/2" with no luck in getting the arm off. Now your pitman shaft gear is not properly aligned and you'll have debris (broken ajuster tabs) drifing arround in your box. the consequence is not immediate but it is eventual... It took over a year for mine to fail.

PITMAN PULLER- This toll works like a gear puller pusing on the shaft and pulling on the arm there are no 3rd party parts that can get effected or damaged when using a pitman puller.

Now for the good stuff...

Red-Head Steering Gears is a company based out of Seattle that remanufactures steering boxes like ours. A friend at work told me about them when my box broke I looked arround and they do seem to have a good review going for them and so I found my self an acceptional product as well. They do more than remaufacture, their boxes include many details that normal remans don't include like the replacement of reciculation balls on our worm gears. No other major company does this but yet it makes for a huge differance in how much freeplay can be felt in the steering wheel. The Red Head box combined with my HooHaa steering and dummy steering box for the idler arm have made my steering and aligment feel better than I can ever remember and I am sure I will now get many more years out of my steering on and off road.

These guys will do buisness cross country so if you want a box rebuilt by the best you should check them out....http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/Process.html

Thanks for the tip. My steering box needs some help and I've been wondering how to deal with it. Perhaps I won't, they will :D

So, what was your cost??

BTW, x2 on the pitman arm puller. Even using one, I was unable to remove my pitman arm though...

B

Thanks for the tip. My steering box needs some help and I've been wondering how to deal with it. Perhaps I won't, they will biggrin.gif

So, what was your cost??

BTW, x2 on the pitman arm puller. Even using one, I was unable to remove my pitman arm though...

B

I also broke 5 steering boxes using a pickle fork in a JY trying to get another arm for my dummy steering box. My Pitman on the broken box didn't come off either, I had torqued it untill the splines dissapeared which was way too much. So I had to drill a new pitman for my HooHaa steering and torque it to the spec 180ftlbs this time. You'll have to call redhead for specifc pricing on a rebuild, they'll prolly want your core for a few days. I called them to get a better picture for everyone else since the price can vary allot based on what the box needs.

The older boxes run arround $270-290 (87-89, 90 & 91-92)

The newer bigger housing housings(with the 70mm nut lol) run a little higher like mid to low $300's

In worst case scenario if one of the shafts are damaged or something bad maybe up to $450

They will do almost any manual or power nissan box. They also supply from the highest quality manufacturer for steering racks in-case any of you r50 folks need help.

A box from rock auto would have run me over $300 and not been as good. So Considering they do more than any major Reman company I'd say those are very competive prices.

Edited by MY1PATH

If its just the leak your concerned about the seal is like $5 once you get the arm off using a pitman puller.

If you want the real deal Get a JY box and send it to redhead for service that way you have less down time.

I have heard horror stories of even good pitman arm pullers breaking in attempts to remove our arms. Maybe a lot of heat, some PB, and an couple good side hits with the BFH before the puller is used would be advised?

BTW, might I add that when I first saw the title of this, I thought maybe you bought steering gears from Pezzy :lol: .

I didn't read it until now and thought the same thing :chairfall:

usefull information if I end up in need of steering box help... might be an idea to pin this with other parts/service or at least add it to the thread(I know there is one around here somewhere)

I have heard horror stories of even good pitman arm pullers breaking in attempts to remove our arms. Maybe a lot of heat, some PB, and an couple good side hits with the BFH before the puller is used would be advised?

Agreed, but even after heat, PB & 2x BFH shocks(BFH on each side) The pitman puller was doing some scary flexing when and poping when trying to pull the arm off my old box(the arm never came off). Taking the newer one off to drill it for my HOOHAA was also flexy. stupid pitman pullers need more than 2 fingers. If I ever need to pull one again I may make one out of 1/4" that forms a cup to wrap arround 120* of the arm so that there is no flexing

BTW, might I add that when I first saw the title of this, I thought maybe you bought steering gears from Pezzy lol.gif .

That would have been fun.

I didn't read it until now and thought the same thing :chairfall:

usefull information if I end up in need of steering box help... might be an idea to pin this with other parts/service or at least add it to the thread(I know there is one around here somewhere)

I've already requested a new section specifically for information (to keep things better organized) and am just waiting on the Admin to set it up... :shrug:

B