4X4pathy94

Which pics do you think are better?

With wind flaring:

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

And without the wind flaring:

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Picked it up at the local J/Y for $150 thought it was a prett good deal, and i needed a rack!!

What do you guys think?

Edited by 4X4pathy94

Don't get excited it's not installed yet lol. He says he is doing it tomorrow. I like it better without the faring as it doens't even match the contour of the pathy roof.

The "xterra" is just a sticker on the rack, you should remove it..

Either or looks fine to me (IMO) but if you chose to have the deflector installed, the xterra has a clear plastic strip under the front edge of the deflector that is installed right on the paint surface of the roof (a 3m clear plastic tape)

It's there to prevent the vibration while on the highway from damaging the paint surface. Make sure you put something there, or it will end up rubbing right through the paint over time.

DAMMIT I wanted to be the first person to do that!

It was a little long and a little wide wasn't it? (I measured my friends b4 he tried to shoot me for taking it lol)

I can see you trimmed the front to match the pathy step down and roof length which makes the fairing sit funny. I would either leave the fairing off or find a way to make it fit the new position and look normal.(may reqire trimming the top of the fairing)

I think the ends of the cross bars come off so you can trim and re-drill them to make the rack narrower and match the roof profile better(again got chased away lol)

But all and all good project :) now I'm not in a rush to get it done cause I won't be the first anymore....:(

I like it with the flaring, but it would look better if it could be mounted more flush like MY1PATH said.

I've been wanting to get one too, I think they look badass.

First off y'all need a pick-a-part, I paid $20 for mine. :tongue: What are you going to do for sun roof clearance? Or are you going to let the rear and middle feet hang over the side step down on the roof? I shortened mine to where all three feet sit flush, then I narrowed it until all of the rear and middle feet are sitting on a full surface. Now the front feet will be sitting over the front corners of the sun roof. The only thing I can think of is milling clearance on the front feet so that the sun roof will still open with the foot sitting over the corner. This will work but look crappy if anyone looks up that high.

I guess I will have to get some pictures with it on to explain what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can do that this afternoon.

If you get yours mounted before then take lots of pictures.

James

DAMMIT I wanted to be the first person to do that!

now I'm not in a rush to get it done cause I won't be the first anymore....sad.gif

If your simply refering to being the "first to install an X rack" sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but others have already done it :togo:

5591910027_large.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

picture074kq.jpg

post51170709390.jpg

Oh i knew i wasnt going to be the first to have this done, i actualy got my idea from the red pathy you have in that pic. All i knew is that i wanted a roof rack and i found that one.

My sunroof is still able to open,and i have trimmed eberything to fit flat. Now the middle feet or bracket does hang out a bit maybe 1/2 both sides. Havent figured out away to fix this may just add a piece underneathe to make it look for proper.

I like it with the flaring myself i haven't trimmed it yet and i know i could make it fit better but i havent bolted it on either yet.

I also havent figured exactly how i was going to bolt either self tapping screws or maybe even bolt it, but then i would be taking the insde apart...

Looks good!! Exactly what I plan to do as sooon as I find one. If I find 2 I'm going to make a custom unit...

It looks better without the fairing, especially with the sunroof.

For installation, use jack nuts or threaded rivet inserts. All the information on them are in a thread in th 86.5-89 model year section in the thread about.... installing roof racks!! :D

Again, nicely done... :aok:

B

I like it with the flaring myself i haven't trimmed it yet and i know i could make it fit better but i havent bolted it on either yet.

That was my issue with your mock up... if you make it fit better it might look cool.

If you do go ahead with the fairing, you may want to look up the 'Thor mod'. Some of the Xterra owners with sunroofs cut out the center of the fairing, and attach a smoked piece of plexiglass, so the fairing doesn't block the light coming in the sunroof.

thor_mod_03.jpg

Because i have the sunroof I'm probably gonna delete the two brackets in the middle of the rack seeing as does not fit correctly, and i can not bring the rails closer together for it will interfere with the sunroof.

I like the look of the plexiglass and will look into it.

I like without the fairing personally, but also like that plexi-glass cutout mod that Pezzy posted. I wouldn't do the full black faring though since you got a sunroof and still would want to have it be usefull I would think...

I was in his truck today, some light still comes in. But a clear or maybe smoke? coloured fairing would be better. Either way it needs to be trimmed. I would do this to my truck but I already have a rack that suits my needs.