Warn Manual Hubs

maikan

I took a look at the hardware that was ship with the warn hubs.

When I tried to screw the bolts on the studs, I realized the the bolts are not perfectly round !!!

One end is round but the other end is oval ( 0 instead of o ) and they are all the same.

I can screw for a little bit but the studs stuck just before passing through the bolts.

Are the bolts made that way to insure a kind of auto-blocking system ??

Or do I need to be really pissed off because they send me crap ??

Thanks

SDC10133.jpg

Edited by Pezzy
image fix

Are you serious, is this a locking nut ?

So i just have to screw it real tight and that should work fine ?

Even though it look weird this is good to know.

Thanks

P.S. Thanks for the image, edit I have a tough time posting images.

Edited by maikan

They are locknuts. They are used where higher temperatures can damage nylocks. Hubs do get pretty warm, especially for highway driving. Only trouble with them is they are single-use pieces. They don't have the same holding power after they've been removed. That, however, can be remedied with a little red locktite :whistle:

will the Warn hubs fit inside the stock 6 spoke 16" wheels from an 03 Pathy, or should I just wait until I buy new wheels before purchasing manual hubs?

yes, they will. i've seen many other pathys with WARN hubs and the same wheels and i'll be putting some WARN hubs on mine once i get them. the hubs just won't clear the center cap, so you'll have to dremel out the nissan logo.

yes, they will. i've seen many other pathys with WARN hubs and the same wheels and i'll be putting some WARN hubs on mine once i get them. the hubs just won't clear the center cap, so you'll have to dremel out the nissan logo.

I think we're talking about diiferent wheels, I looked today and Im almost certain the wran hubs will not fit my wheel.

I think we're talking about diiferent wheels, I looked today and Im almost certain the wran hubs will not fit my wheel.

these? these are the same wheels i have, and are the 6 spokes that i'm referring to.

100_0871-1.jpg

props obviously to 01silvapathy for a nice truck. :)

Edited by edwinsyip

did you re-do the c-caps? in your sig pic, it looks like it fits much more closely to the hub as compared to the space you cutout for them in the other pics. unless, it's just the lack of a close-up on your sig pic.

on a side note, ewwww to the Michelin Cross-Terrains. not a huge fan of them. the Latitudes are a far better replacement tire for the Cross Terrains, however, the new release of the LTX M/S2 (X Radial LT2, for Costco members) are even better than that considering they're now backed with 70k mileage warranties and are pretty amazing tires. i work in the Costco tire center so i come across these tires every single day. haha.

did you re-do the c-caps? in your sig pic, it looks like it fits much more closely to the hub as compared to the space you cutout for them in the other pics. unless, it's just the lack of a close-up on your sig pic.

on a side note, ewwww to the Michelin Cross-Terrains. not a huge fan of them. the Latitudes are a far better replacement tire for the Cross Terrains, however, the new release of the LTX M/S2 (X Radial LT2, for Costco members) are even better than that considering they're now backed with 70k mileage warranties and are pretty amazing tires. i work in the Costco tire center so i come across these tires every single day. haha.

Oh yeah I have added 1.5in wheel spacers since those first pics were taken. The reason why is because of those crappy cross terrains you can clearly see the bulge in the tire, and they wore like butter. I have since gone to 33's BFG AT, and I love em to death. The hub is now like inside the cutout, hard to explain but here are some pics I just took.

100_1146.jpg

100_1147.jpg

100_1149.jpg

100_1148.jpg

Oh yeah I have added 1.5in wheel spacers since those first pics were taken. The reason why is because of those crappy cross terrains you can clearly see the bulge in the tire, and they wore like butter. I have since gone to 33's BFG AT, and I love em to death. The hub is now like inside the cutout, hard to explain but here are some pics I just took.

yeah, that makes sense. Cross Terrains wear faster for you because they're a street tire. that's why i said the current Latitudes are a far better tire. the best all-around tire from Michelin would be the LTX MS/X Radial LT, but if you're looking for a true all-terrain tire, it'd be the LTX AT2 from Michelin. however, you definitely can't go wrong with the tried and true BFG AT KO (still a Michelin owned tire company, so no harm there!).

another side note, you got extended studs along with those spacers, yeah? i keep getting confused with some peoples' mods when they say wheel spacers and/or subframe drops. i look at the pics and know that by SFD, they mean a body lift (at least it appears to be one), but when everyone says wheel spacers, it just blows my mind when everyone is saying 1.5" wheel spacer because i'm so used to nothing greater than a 10mm and the need for extended studs. then again, i'm so used to lowering vehicles than lifting them, and dealing with the Nissan sport car genre. haha.

I can't, I'm at work, like all the time. :(

I'll take some pics within the next week or so. My wheels don't look like ^ those

the only other six-spoke design wheel i can think of would be the 17" wheels if you don't have the "3 stake" design that we have. now that i look at it, you probably have the 17s, since you have an '03, and the 17s were much more common with the latter years of the pathy.

look like these?

2003-Nissan-Pathfinder.jpg

if you've got these, you got the 17s. not totally certain on whether or not the WARN hubs will fit if you have them, but i don't see why not since the pathy should still be using the same hubs that all other pathys do, and that should allow the WARN hubs to fit through there. but, you should see if another more experienced member knows for sure.

yeah, that makes sense. Cross Terrains wear faster for you because they're a street tire. that's why i said the current Latitudes are a far better tire. the best all-around tire from Michelin would be the LTX MS/X Radial LT, but if you're looking for a true all-terrain tire, it'd be the LTX AT2 from Michelin. however, you definitely can't go wrong with the tried and true BFG AT KO (still a Michelin owned tire company, so no harm there!).

another side note, you got extended studs along with those spacers, yeah? i keep getting confused with some peoples' mods when they say wheel spacers and/or subframe drops. i look at the pics and know that by SFD, they mean a body lift (at least it appears to be one), but when everyone says wheel spacers, it just blows my mind when everyone is saying 1.5" wheel spacer because i'm so used to nothing greater than a 10mm and the need for extended studs. then again, i'm so used to lowering vehicles than lifting them, and dealing with the Nissan sport car genre. haha.

No need for longer wheel studs. The spacers that I got and most that I know of atleast come with new studs pressed into them. They attach to the truck using the old wheel studs, and the old lug nuts tighten them on. Then the wheel attaches to the new studs on the wheel spacer. It sounds wierd but its worked great for me so far. Also reguarding sfd and all, its kinda like a body lift but not, in that you do gain some height but you also do gain alot of flex in the rear from longer springs and all. You can also run bigger tires, im planning on 35x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar :D

No need for longer wheel studs. The spacers that I got and most that I know of atleast come with new studs pressed into them. They attach to the truck using the old wheel studs, and the old lug nuts tighten them on. Then the wheel attaches to the new studs on the wheel spacer. It sounds wierd but its worked great for me so far. Also reguarding sfd and all, its kinda like a body lift but not, in that you do gain some height but you also do gain alot of flex in the rear from longer springs and all. You can also run bigger tires, im planning on 35x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlar :D

nope, makes sense. i know what you're talking about now.

nice tire choice. pretty popular especially given the price. personally though, ever since i've been in the Tire Center i won't dare run any other tire except Michelin or BFG. all the classes that i've been through and all the other tires that i see come through the shop tell me to stick with those two only.

nope, makes sense. i know what you're talking about now.

nice tire choice. pretty popular especially given the price. personally though, ever since i've been in the Tire Center i won't dare run any other tire except Michelin or BFG. all the classes that i've been through and all the other tires that i see come through the shop tell me to stick with those two only.

We had Goodyear Advantage on our G35 and they were great, not a complaint about them. Now we had BfGoodrich tires dont know what model though.

What 01silva is using is called a wheel adapter...

SP-6551_g.jpg

So you bolt these to your existing wheel studs and then you mount your wheels to the studs on the adapter. The cheap way to do this is to get a set for a Taco and just ask for the open ended set of lug nuts (to bolt to your wheel studs) fit a Pathfinder. Cost almost half as much this way. Then your outer studs have a Taco thread type(M12x1.50) instead of a Pathfinder thread type (M12x1.25)...

the only other six-spoke design wheel i can think of would be the 17" wheels if you don't have the "3 stake" design that we have. now that i look at it, you probably have the 17s, since you have an '03, and the 17s were much more common with the latter years of the pathy.

look like these?

2003-Nissan-Pathfinder.jpg

if you've got these, you got the 17s. not totally certain on whether or not the WARN hubs will fit if you have them, but i don't see why not since the pathy should still be using the same hubs that all other pathys do, and that should allow the WARN hubs to fit through there. but, you should see if another more experienced member knows for sure.

No, definitely 6 spoke 16' (I know my wheel size) similar to the ones in your pic, but the spokes are different. Here's a link I found that shows em' for sale, I'm pretty sure after looking at the dimensions on Amazon for the Warn Hubs that they won't fit. Time for new wheels.

http://www.wheelsrims.net/2004-nissan-pathfinder/16_x_7_alloy_wheel-aly62408u20.html

We had Goodyear Advantage on our G35 and they were great, not a complaint about them. Now we had BfGoodrich tires dont know what model though.

goodyear never made an Advantage. the Advantage is a BFG tire, unless you're talking about the Assurance. if it was the Advantage, those are also great tires. excellent quality and build for the price that you pay. pretty awesome tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to making holes in the wheel caps to clear the manaul hubs. You can also use a hole saw, I used a 105mm one to fit around my Navara manual hubs, Works well.

Nick

They are locknuts. They are used where higher temperatures can damage nylocks. Hubs do get pretty warm, especially for highway driving. Only trouble with them is they are single-use pieces. They don't have the same holding power after they've been removed. That, however, can be remedied with a little red locktite :whistle:

Oops I have never done anything special and have taken them off tons of times.