Free Tool Loan At Checker Auto Parts

sonyslave

I've been puttering on cars since I was a kid and was SHOCKED to learn that Checker and Autozone have FREE tool loan programs for most of the common jobs that require uncommon tools.

Maybe the rest of you knew about this but I guess I don't read the billboards in the store when I shop.

I recently borrowed a pickle fork kit and a inner tie-rod removal kit. What's nice is that the Checker tools (the one's I borrowed anyways) were well made and had adapters for various sizes, so they were well put together kits. I was amazed.

Their deal is that you pay for the tool, if you keep it more than 3 days you've bought it. Seems fair enough to me!

At Checker there is a big display right on the checkout counter of the ~25 specialty tools they loan out, great for diy!

We'll see if O'Reilly keeps that program for the CSK stores.

O'Reilly Auto bought CSK auto a while back (CSK is/was Checker, Schucks, Kragen and Murrays auto parts stores)

The loan-a-tool program is definitely staying even though o'reilly bought CSK. I work for o'reilly and it's just one of those things we pride ourselves on. That and knowing how to use a paper catalog; the computer is not always right.

Ha! Every Shucks I've been to, the people tell me I can't do certain things because it's not in the computer. Like Bosch Icon wipers won't fit - I walked out there and put them on right in front of him, I told the guy I needed a thermostat and relay wiring kit for an AFTERMARKET AND NON STOCK electric fan and he refused to find me one because his little computer didn't show a part number for my truck, and they say that you can't put headers on an I6 engine - again walked outside and showed him point blank, rear drum shoes/parts on a '76 CJ5 must be "special ordered" and are expensive when they are the same thing as a 70s GM half-ton truck part number and everything, I can't use DOT4 brake fluid in a DOT3 system, etc. It's things like that, which happened just about every time I've been in, that lost my business. Even if I tell them first thing "it's an aftermarket set up," the first thing they say is "okay, what kind of vehicle is it?" and start typing it into their computer. Then it's "oh, we don't have that for your vehicle." At this point I'm almost laughing in frustration. At least at NAPA I can have a conversation about trucks and what not with the people there. Shucks, they stare at me like deer in headlights. "Uh, uh...uh...uh..."

Edited by Kingman

Ha! Every Shucks I've been to, the people tell me I can't do certain things because it's not in the computer. Like Bosch Icon wipers won't fit - I walked out there and put them on right in front of him, I told the guy I needed a thermostat and relay wiring kit for an AFTERMARKET AND NON STOCK electric fan and he refused to find me one because his little computer didn't show a part number for my truck, and they say that you can't put headers on an I6 engine - again walked outside and showed him point blank, rear drum shoes/parts on a '76 CJ5 must be "special ordered" and are expensive when they are the same thing as a 70s GM half-ton truck part number and everything, I can't use DOT4 brake fluid in a DOT3 system, etc. It's things like that, which happened just about every time I've been in, that lost my business. Even if I tell them first thing "it's an aftermarket set up," the first thing they say is "okay, what kind of vehicle is it?" and start typing it into their computer. Then it's "oh, we don't have that for your vehicle." At this point I'm almost laughing in frustration. At least at NAPA I can have a conversation about trucks and what not with the people there. Shucks, they stare at me like deer in headlights. "Uh, uh...uh...uh..."

yeah I gave up on the Checker people a long time a go for the same reason. I needed to replace my collector gaskets a while back so went in for some. They insisted on using the vehicle model instead of just matching the gasket I brought in. I told them it had aftermarket headers on it also. In the end they tried to sell me an exhaust manifold gasket.

I then walked down the "performance isle" and found the copper collector gaskets I was seeking.

Then when my truck was overheating one of the guys there advised me that if I have a head gasket leak, not to bother replacing it and fixing the problem permanently, but to instead get these capsules to cool the engine down temporarily until it blows and I have to replace the whole thing.

Now I just go in there with PN's, for oil, or for tool rental.

Wow, guess I just thought every store is like the one i work at. That sounds like the twilightzone we have in town. People always come in to our store with those same type of complaints from autozone. Sorry for the bad experiences at the sister stores, but I know around here, we take care of the people that come in - hence the comment about being proud to have paper catalogs AND know how to use them. We go by the philosophy that if somebody makes it, we will find a way to get it for you. A lot of times I'll call the dealer, order a part, mark it up a couple bucks and still save the customer money. Like I said guys, being an employee of O'Reilly, that kinda pisses me off that other stores just don't try.

Oh yeah, and for your thermostatic switch, for your e-fan, it's a 3652 Hayden p/n if that helps you any kingman :) It's stuff like that they should KNOW isn't in the computer and they may have to open a book to find.

I've never had that problem with partsource in canada. Though the computer has been wrong but the guy will usually let me keep he wrong part and give me the right one for free! They admit the computer system sucks and is never right for older/import vehicles. For example it says both inner tie rods are the same, which is BS. The threads are different on either side.

Oh yeah, and for your thermostatic switch, for your e-fan, it's a 3652 Hayden p/n if that helps you any kingman :) It's stuff like that they should KNOW isn't in the computer and they may have to open a book to find.

That's the one I have installed already. Thanks. :aok:

I have serious problems giving my money to people who don't know jack shyit about cars and jog me around based on what a primitive computer says, or people who don't speak clear enough English to understand what I want.

It sounds like you run a good store, you should move to Vancouver, WA and I'd gladly pay you for parts I need.

Edited by Kingman