My Current Project

unccpathfinder

Well...This is what I've been working on since October. I wanted to share it some time ago but couldn't and can't really go into any more details than what the press release states but here is what I've been working on. I thought some folks around here may be interested in it...Definitely an interesting concept. The chassis debuted at NTEA this month.

03_10_fccc_enova_electric_m.jpg

http://www.daimler-trucksnorthamerica.com/news/press-release-detail.aspx?id=973

NICE!! And about damn time!! I've been waiting for the major players to get serious about EVs (no, not GM)...

I look forward to the details that you can share. Keep up the good work!!

B

Your Building an RV!

No its a walk in van (WIV) (fedex/UPS/snap-on tools/bread trucks etc)

NICE!! And about damn time!! I've been waiting for the major players to get serious about EVs (no, not GM)...

I look forward to the details that you can share. Keep up the good work!!

B

The base chassis is our MT45 which they just released a gas chassis and it also is available with a diesel, so my portion of the project is all mechanical...for this truck I removed all of the conventional parts (engine, transmission and other miscellaneous parts) and did all of the component placing and system design...I can say that this has been one of the most stressful projects I have ever worked on but I think it'll be worth it on the ole resume...

I must say if I had an endless budget there would be an electric pathy on the trail lol

EV's have been in design for a while with a lot of major companies...it's just a matter of them not throwing them out for show yet...a lot of vehicles have been tested in Europe already

Until they can be recharged in 5 minutes, or make quick change batteries, EVs will not be mass market viable. When you can go your 300-500 miles, and then have to wait 6hrs or more to full charge again, they become an inner city commuter only. For inner city delivery trucks it's a good idea as long as they can handle the milage that is required in a day. If they eat their batteries in 3hrs driving, they will just be a waste. But given that most all delivery trucks sit overnight they have recharge time to spare then. Making use of the huge flat roof on most delivery trucks would help if they were covered in solar cells, they wouldn't keep them charged, but could lengthen the time between charges.

Very cool!

Too bad it's a Chrysler though :lol:

daimler sold chrysler like 2 years ago...I was there 3 years ago when the @!*% started hitting the fan for them

Until they can be recharged in 5 minutes, or make quick change batteries, EVs will not be mass market viable. When you can go your 300-500 miles, and then have to wait 6hrs or more to full charge again, they become an inner city commuter only. For inner city delivery trucks it's a good idea as long as they can handle the milage that is required in a day. If they eat their batteries in 3hrs driving, they will just be a waste. But given that most all delivery trucks sit overnight they have recharge time to spare then. Making use of the huge flat roof on most delivery trucks would help if they were covered in solar cells, they wouldn't keep them charged, but could lengthen the time between charges.

Yep...and most big city's the delivery trucks hit maybe 2-3 buildings a day so the drivetime is very short and mileage not so high...solar cells would help for some accessories but with the added weight I don't think there is any gain there...regenerative braking is a cool thing that helps reduce losses but i'm not sure how effective is really is b/c essentually energy cannot be created or lost just transferred so there is still loss to friction...i've been pretty impressed with charge times so far...not anywhere near the 30min timeframe yet but for batteries the size we're using I don't think 6-8 hours is a bad thing...i think for delivery applications most ranges would ideally be 150 or so miles a day

• 6 months later...