Power Steering Leak

bsb1957

Anyone ever change a power steering hose?I have a 92 4x4 auto with a leak on the high pressure hose off the power steering pump. Looks to me like its one assembly between the pump and steering box.Just wondering how hard of a job it is to replace.Thanks

It's relatively easy, hard part is getting the banjo nuts to line up. I suggest marking the fitting and the top of the nut with a marker or something that way it'll line up when you reinstall it.

Thanks for the input guys......always appreciated

Just did mine on my '90 SE about 2 months ago or so.....not too difficult....getting the BOTTOM bolt back onto the steering box lined up with the washer on it was a bit of a bitch (there is an upper and a lower bolt fitting since there are two lines going to it). I was having a bear of a time trying to wrestle the old line out of the engine compartment since most of it is all metal and

wouldn't slide out too easily, so I just cut it up into pieces. My NEW assembly of course was NOT exactly like what the original was....but it still worked fine. Just couldn't use some of the

original metal line spacers along the way anymore so in some places I just zip-tied the two lines together (they run side by side pretty much) to keep them snug.

The bleeding part is easy once you refill the resevoir. The book says lift front end off ground, crank steering wheel all the way over in both directions a few times...etc etc..

My jacks wont go high enough to lift my front end LOL so I just topped it off, and went driving around my street looking like the indy cars keeping their tires warm during pit laps LOL and

my steering has been just fine.

ps....eat some wheaties or use a long handle wrench for breaking those banjo fitting nuts loose....they are pretty tight...and you MUST use the washers on them otherwise they will leak.

Thanks for the info.Ive never seen banjo bolts before.Initially i thought i might need a special tool.Was looking under the hood tonight trying to figure out how im going to change this line and it looks to me like it might be a chore.Did you have to remove anything in order to make the job easier?

This thread is making me realize how useful it would have been to make a write up when I replaced my PS pump... maybe if I get bored enough I'll do it again since it only took me an hour.

A tip, you'll want to loosen everything while the pump is still attached to the block. Unless you have a big vice, there is no way in hell you'll be able to hold on to the pump or anything tight enough while you try and remove bolts. When I did it, I accessed the high pressure line banjo nut from inside the fender well. Weird, but it's a direct line and plenty of room below to pull on the wrench...which I think is an equivalent to 15/16" which is what I used.

• 3 months later...

Quick question (hopefully), I'm working on changing the pressure line on the power steering, and there is a bracket behind the front passenger wheel on the frame that has the metal part of the line as well as an A/C line going through it, and I see no way to pull the hose out. Do I just cut the hose & pull it out of the bracket & zip tie the new one in place? Thanks for the help!

Ok, trying to look around everything, I thought it was an A/C line, didn't realize it was the return line. Do I have to change the return line as well, or can I just cut the pressure line to slide it out of the bracket? Thanks for the tip on the steering shaft joint!

Yes, you can remove the lines from the bracket. It is a good idea to replace them both but I have only replaced one of them and left the old return line there.

• 6 years later...

Does anyone remember what size hose it is for the high pressure side? I have replaced the low pressure hose, and the leak presist. There's so much grime, I thought it was all tracing back to just the return house but bwaaaaa! It looks like I can get away with just replacing the high pressure hose, yeah?

Thanks for your help and info, blokes! :blush02:

The high pressure side isn't just a hose, it's crimped into the fittings and hard line. Unless you have the tools to make hydraulic lines, best to just pick one up. Rockauto's got them. Get some crush washers, too, if it doesn't come with them.

• 8 months later...