Vg33 Swap In ’94 Pathy

pulxar

Below is a link to my writeup in PDF format. I could not get it to let me post more than a couple of images directly.

VG33Swap.pdf

If an admin would like to help me post the whole thing directly I'd be happy to, just let me know how to do it!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work I bet you'll get 2-3 more MPG's from the engine not having to work as hard too.

I noticed the Oil PS sensor is on your pump now, I'm sure you exteded the harness. was there a plug in the side of the block for the other sensor location?

no more oil drips on the starter for you :)

nice work I bet you'll get 2-3 more MPG's from the engine not having to work as hard too.

I noticed the Oil PS sensor is on your pump now, I'm sure you exteded the harness. was there a plug in the side of the block for the other sensor location?

no more oil drips on the starter for you :)

Actually, I just had to pull a bit more wire out of the harness and the existing wiring reached the new sender just fine! There was a spot for it on the VG33 block in the same location as on the VG30, but it had a bolt in it so I just left it alone.

And yes, I am so glad I'll not have oil dumped on the starter!

the VG30 ECU worked with the VG33?

Yup, it started right up with the VG30 ecu, I never touched any electronics, they are all VG30. According to Nissan the ECU can compensate for about +/- 15% in displacement without any issues. I am going to take it in for emissions this afternoon, but it should be just fine!

Yup, it started right up with the VG30 ecu, I never touched any electronics, they are all VG30. According to Nissan the ECU can compensate for about +/- 15% in displacement without any issues. I am going to take it in for emissions this afternoon, but it should be just fine!

Ohhh. And you just needed to extend the harness as well? I was considering building a VG33 with the Q pistons and what not. Just wasn't sure on all the details right now.

You just swapped the whole VG33 in (Heads and all?). Doesn't sound like it's that bad though. I dunno about power increase as much. What I'm finding is the VG30E was rated at like 155hp or so. And the VG33E is 170hp. But I suppose 15hp isn't near as bad as the 3.0L.

Did you have any exhaust clearance issues?

Ohhh. And you just needed to extend the harness as well? I was considering building a VG33 with the Q pistons and what not. Just wasn't sure on all the details right now.

You just swapped the whole VG33 in (Heads and all?). Doesn't sound like it's that bad though. I dunno about power increase as much. What I'm finding is the VG30E was rated at like 155hp or so. And the VG33E is 170hp. But I suppose 15hp isn't near as bad as the 3.0L.

Did you have any exhaust clearance issues?

Nope, the exhaust and everything just bolted in. I did not have to extend anything on the wiring harness, there was enough slack on the oil pressure gauge and the rest plugged right back in! I really did not have to do much fab. I made a note on my writeup of everything I needed to change. And the power difference is really noticeable.

I can't tell what the mileage is at the moment because the speedometer has decided to freak out if I go above 55 mph. It starts jumping all over the place. I am thinking I damaged some wire when I was moving the tranny to get the engine in and out and it is getting jostled or something. I'll post the mileage as soon as I can get that fixed...

Pulxar, the trick to posting many photos is to split them up into several different posts. I don't know the limit of pictures per post, but is something like 6 to 8. I'll read your write up tonight, I have the feeling that this will be something that should be pinned. Another bonus of going with the 3.3 is the 105k mile timing belt interval but I don't think the oil filter is in a much better spot though... ;)

B

Very Nice!! I'm going to remember this if I ever run across a VG33 motor. I'd like to see how it runs with headers and a snorkel...

Feel free to email me the write up and pictures and I will make sure they are properly hosted and pinned. :aok:

I would think the 3.3 would run better on the 3.0 ECU. less codes and emissions systems to drag it down. My friend throws codes in his X every time he coes wheeling because the stupid carbon canister gets wet....

yes but it would be a tired old vg30 leaving and a newer or rebuilt 3.3 going in so I'm sure the differance at the wheels would be more than 15hp and don't forget the 202 ftlb torqe output (thats 30 ftlbs more torque)

BEST OF ALL Now he's got a great platform to begin modding on...

running the smaller 3.0 intake runners will increase air-charge & velocity to improve torqe (may reduce peak hp tho)

and installing a stock 3.0 cam will yeid gains again OR any aftermarket cam for the 3.0 will now yeid an additional 10% more than it would in a 3.0

With intake, exhaust and cam mods I bet a VG33 could get 200hp+.

It is what should have been in the WD21's in the first place.

i dont think it was really developed around that time though. I mean boring out a block isn't science (is the stroke the same as the VG30?), but i don't think it was really developed until towards the end of the WD21's life cycle.

i dont think it was really developed around that time though. I mean boring out a block isn't science (is the stroke the same as the VG30?), but i don't think it was really developed until towards the end of the WD21's life cycle.

yeah, I realize that. What I'm saying is the WD21 would have been perfect with the VG33 powerplant.

yeah, I realize that. What I'm saying is the WD21 would have been perfect with the VG33 powerplant.

I think so. My only other complaint about the WD21 is the transmission. Now if i could find a perfect bolt-up one I liked more I'd be in business.

I think so. My only other complaint about the WD21 is the transmission. Now if i could find a perfect bolt-up one I liked more I'd be in business.

I'm assuming you have the auto?

Have you looked into the 5speed swap? that bolts in without too much fuss.

*Drools over thought of VG33 + 5speed WD21

I'm assuming you have the auto?

Have you looked into the 5speed swap? that bolts in without too much fuss.

*Drools over thought of VG33 + 5speed WD21

I have the 5-Speed. I'm not too big on how it feels. I don't mind truck-like transmissions. But the WD21 just feels like a 4-speed trans and the 5th is just there. And it just feels clunky and rough with a "too much" hydraulic assist clutch. I'm just so used to how smooth my S10's is.

But this isn't a thread about the transmissions lol. What needs to be changed out on the VG33? The link wasn't too clear. it was short blurbs mostly. I only saw something about the water pump and crank pulley. But is it using the VG33 crank? etc etc.

Yes, it uses the VG33 crank, that's the first thing mentioned. Sounds like the 4-5 things changed is all that is needed to me...

B

Yeah, its almost drop in. Which is why anyone with a blown engine should do this instead of waste their money on another 3.0.

Yes, it uses the VG33 crank, that's the first thing mentioned. Sounds like the 4-5 things changed is all that is needed to me...

B

Yeah i wasn't sure cause it wasn't entirely clear to me. makes sense now.