Lost All Oil This Afternoon

so while driving on the high way at speed today, my exhaust suddenly went blue from an oil leak on the exhaust crossover pipe.

upon pulling off of the road safely i got out of my pathfinder, and looked under it, and oil is just pouring out of the engine bay.

Upon further investigation i noticed while looking at the under carraige, only the passenger side of the engine was oil covered, from the filter level down. and the bottom of the filter had a nice coating of oil on it.

now i grabbed the oil filter while waiting for a tow truck, and it was tight, but, isn't there a plate the oil filter screws onto that bolts onto the side of the motor, and also the filter i got from napa, the o-ring on the filter base it self, i noticed was about the size of a 50 cent peice, when the fram i took off had an o-ring all the way around the base of the filter, that was pretty much the circumference of the filter.

Any ideas? or suggestions of what to check?

Thank you so much,

John Dreiling

If the filter you got didn't have the gasket around the edge you probably got the wrong filter

Did you get a Napa Gold, or did you get their cheapo filter?

i actually did get a napa gold filter, i usually always put fram oil filters on it, never had a problem with them.

My guess is also a doubled up Gasket. sometimes when you take the old filter off the gasket sticks to the block and you don't notice it. then you screw the new one on and you have the 2 gaskets on top of each other. when enough heat and pressure builds up you'll get a blow up of oil between the gaskets. Its a nasty NASTY mess to clean up on a n new vehicle I can tell you that. haha

I say you double gasketed or got a cheapy,the filter should go all the way around,also,did you lube the gasket on the new filter or just screwed it on with a dry gasket?

i used cheapy filters and never had issues. i used walmart supertech, kmart cheapy filter not sure what brand it was and we used fram for years and never had issues. as for the gasket on the new filter always lube it. wont hurt to stick your finger in one of the new qt bottles.

What's wrong with cheapies? Carquest redbox brings the filtration of my lubrication to satisification! Yea and take the 3 seconds to give a little dab to the gasket

i've always used frams, and always will use frams, but on a side note, the motor is toast. tried everything i could, still pours oil out of the engine when started, something is f-ed up

What about that sensor by the filter? It broke off or maby leaking out the threads of it?

note... I REALLY need to fix that wire for mine from breaking it during the starter swap...

i've always used frams, and always will use frams, but on a side note, the motor is toast. tried everything i could, still pours oil out of the engine when started, something is f-ed up

As was said, find the source of the leak. If it is that bad, it should be easy...

B

I had a Grand Am when I was in high school that did almost the same thing, lost all the oil in very short order. It was a PITA to track down with the oil all over the engine (and everything else), but the culprit was the oil pressure sender. I'd take a good look at it on your rig, I was shocked at how much oil can get through the thing when it failed.

did the oil ps sensor pop?

I had a Grand Am when I was in high school that did almost the same thing, lost all the oil in very short order. It was a PITA to track down with the oil all over the engine (and everything else), but the culprit was the oil pressure sender. I'd take a good look at it on your rig, I was shocked at how much oil can get through the thing when it failed.

MY sensor the seal for the plastic plug got weak with age and it was leakin out arround there. any worse and the plastic may have been pushed out allowing a nice little jet for 10-60psi of oill to shoot out from.

its that flower shaped plug(12 point wrench) above the oil filter. and it was only a few bucks to replace

• Like 1