Summer Fest 2010

SteeevO

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Link to official planning threads...: 2010 OAUSA SummerFest and Field Day (June 25 - 27)

We are pleased to announce that we have set the dates for our OAUSA Summer Fest event for June 25, 26 and 27, 2010. The location will be in the Big Bear area with details of the camp sites to follow.

This event will have all of the outdoor activities that we have come to expect from OAUSA Fest events, but it will have some additional focus that is in keeping with our core interests...

1. Amateur Radio: As many know, this weekend has traditionally been reserved for a national event known as "Field Day". For those who may be unfamiliar with Field Day, the following description from the ARRL, is a good introduction:

ARRL Field Day is the most popular on-the-air operating event in amateur radio. On the fourth full weekend in June, tens of thousands of amateur radio operators gather for a public demonstration of our service. Field Day is part educational event, part operating event, part public relations event – and ALL about FUN!

Amateur radio is about knowledge and growth. It is a hobby and service that truly offers “something for everyone.” Amateur Radio embraces both the old and new.

Field Day is truly the time in which we bring amateur radio to Main Street USA. By setting up in parking lots, malls, Emergency Operations Centers, parks and even at home, amateur operators learn skills that will allow them to better serve their communities. Setting up in these public venues gives added public relations value – their friends and neighbors can see and experience the fun and public service capability that their “ham radio” neighbors bring to the community.

OAUSA is also pleased to welcome Steven, KF6WVM, (aka Steeevo), as our Summer Fest/Field Day director. Steven's passion for wheeling and Amateur radio are exceptional and we are looking forward to a great event this year and for many years to come. Thanks Steven!

2. Hiking (San Gorgornio Summit): We will be takng a limited numer of people up to summit San Gorgornio Peak. It is the highest peak in Southern California.

3. 4x4 Trail Runs: We will also be including a selection of trail runs as we usually do during our fest events.

4. Potluck: As usual, we will have our stomaches gorged with varieties of food on Saturday night. We can't have a Fest event without food...

This should be one of the best events OAUSA has yet to offer.

---------

It's going to be a great time. Everyone should go :beer: We're going to have plenty of wheeling time on some of the greatest trails in So. Cal.

If you've never been to big bear before, i strongly suggest you go there with a group like this one to get the most out of your trip there.

Big Bear is right in my back yard and i have run these trails many times. I also think it's awesome when new people come out to wheel with us.

Let me know if you guys have any questions..

Edited by SteeevO

SWEET!!

I got my license last year and changed it to a vanity K3MJS

you will have to let me know what repeaters you are commonly on. Perhaps we can chat it up.

Maybe I can make the drive to one your Trips in southern cal.

mark

Bummer!

There are tons of GREAT trails in big bear. Some of which are referred to as the little brother of the Rubicon. This trip is going to be a BLAST. Trails from mini van style to to black diamond rock style. Something for everyone.

It'd be awesome to meet some more NPORA members out here. C'mon guys ('n gals) don't just be a bunch of web wheelers! get your truck out here and wheel with us!