Planning Auto To Manual...?

ZombeeXXX

Hello,

I have recently acquired a 90 SE with a mostly burnt Automatic. I don't like autos anyway, so the plan is to convert it. I have a 92 SE as a potential organ donor. The seller also mentions having collected the parts necessary which are in storage. I assume this has been mentioned before, my apologies for potentially beating a dead horse.

Difficulty level for a socket-wrench mechanic? I was surprised to not find much on this yet, but I guess it should be straightforward part swapping..

Any known writeups?

Thanks for any tips.

Yes, a few people have done it, Beastpath and Packie88 IIRC??. Basically, it is not hard per se, just a lot of work. You want to have a donor handy as there are a bunch of little items from shifter boots to some vent ducting to clear the MC, etc. All the holes you need are there from the factory so it is mainly disassemble and reassemble.

B

• 2 months later...

Well, the other day the auto and most related parts came out. Today I just need to lower it and get the dash out to mount my pedals.

Question is, what to do with the old tranny? BG&S in Lincoln doesn't seem too interested in it as a core. I doubt anyone here would really want to mess with it as it's missing reverse and second right now..

Hate to just take it to the jy and get $5 out of it. They only gave me $17.50 for the old shell.

It really isnt hard

I have a writeup with pictures in progress - I should probably finish it now I have graduated university....

IDK what to do with my core either - maybe try to sell it on craigslist to a rebuilding company?

you cut your harness off the auto too right?

It really isnt hard

I have a writeup with pictures in progress - I should probably finish it now I have graduated university....

IDK what to do with my core either - maybe try to sell it on craigslist to a rebuilding company?

A write up would be neat. I think I pretty much understand the mechanical aspects, and it seems straightforward swapping..

I have a flywheel and cover plate for in between. My clutch kit came with the pilot and the throwout bearing. Also ordered a rear main seal set. Have m/t bolts and all the hard clutch lines, damper, pedals, and hopefully all the ducting from the donor. My donor had over 140k miles, so I went with new operating cylinders as well.

I haven't yet done anything with the automatic except wrestle it down to a cart. Wish I could get a hold of a tranny jack for a few days!

Yeah, the wiring is what I need to research still... Just to override the inhibit and get reverse lights connected should be pretty simple. Just haven't looked at any diagrams yet.

Should I yank the box from the passenger rear fenderwell and sell it? I assume it must be the a/t brain as the other truck didn't have it.

Did break one manifold to y-pipe stud on each side... :scratchhead:

Thanks for all the tips, I'm pretty confident this will all be worthwhile.

Well Gents,

I am stuck on this; pilot converter/at pilot bushing

http://www.courtesyparts.com/12330-pilot-converter-pathfinder-wd21-1987-1995-p-542929.html

Tried hydraulic method and beat on her pretty good; will try again after applying some heat. I rented -and broke- the puller attachment for a slide hammer from Oreilley and it still seems siezed up. Hope they don't think I'm gonna pay for the Taiwanese garbage... :thumbsdown:

Thought about taking the cutting disk and sectioning it out also... Good or bad thought? Just afraid of running into any unseen protrusion near the center of the bushing, scoring the crank.

And does someone have a pic of the crank without the bushing in? Maybe a pic of the engine-facing side of the a/t bushing would even be helpful.

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks, B. Me too.

Lost a little time because the rebuilt transmission and flywheel, etc that came with the truck ended up being sourced from a four cyl hardbody. :stickwack:

Had to go swap for the one in storage from the other pathy. Hopefully I can find seals for it at a decent price locally... :itsallgood:

I think I have the wiring figured out, but just need to verify because I really want to run it with the tranny off to check the rear seal. :shiftyeyes:

The last step to complete the manual wiring is wiring the neutral switch. Take the plug

with the two large gauge brown and black wires and wire it onto the neutral position

switch. Either the brown or black plug wires can go to either of the switch wires as the

neutral switch simply provides continuity. Once the plug is wired into the neutral

switch simply plug into the existing truck wiring.

So I understand this to mean that these wires set up in this fashion enables the truck to crank, however only in Neutral? :crossedwires:

I have a lot of interior assembly to do while I wait for another paycheck to buy seals and maybe a tranny jack of my very own.

I think I have the wiring figured out, but just need to verify because I really want to run it with the tranny off to check the rear seal.

Honestly, just change the damn thing, don't fark around with it. These trannys are a pain to pull so don't set yourself up to do it again in 50k miles...

Ditto with the tranny jack. I swore that next time I have to do this, I'm buying one (rented last time and it cost 1/2 as much).

No input with the wiring, me and electrons don't speak the same language. :shrug:

B

Ha, gotcha

Sorry, I forgot to mention it was changed. Just thought i'd try to have a look see if I did a good job prior to putting her together. The crank had a little seal wear I think.

Ought to have the clutch pack on and wiring ready tomorrow sometime, so will see what happens. Still got to hook up the ignition ( I think ) and make sure all the switches got put back properly and everything works...

Thanks!

Ok, that makes more sense... :D

Unless you did something really bad, it can't leak more than the old one and it didn't sound like an issue. Use the Farce and trust in yourself ... :D

B

• 2 weeks later...

Well, It seems as though I lost the little "L" shaped grommet that goes at the front bottom of the bellhousing. Nissan calls it "grommet, sealing" And it's on national backorder...

I posted a WTB ad, but my jack came in today and I'm going to go ahead with reassembly. I'll silicone the area up and if I find what I need, well then I'll see what happens.

I seem to remember placing it on the tranny jack that I was borrowing, so who knows where it ended up. I think silicone will seal that well enough, only a small gap...

After fighting this tranny basically for a whole day, I called in some more eyes and muscles. The non-hydraulic jack was less than ideal for lifting and positioning the tranny with the T-case attached. With some additional jacks and an idea to push the top of the engine back to the firewall, I was able to back the trans off a bit and get it farther from the body. With a helper looking at the alignment of the bolts, I was able to jack the t-case up and get the whole thing to rotate into position! Might be able to get a test drive in this weekend!

I hear you. I had a hydraulic tranny jack and I still needed a buddies help to get the final positioning. We struggled for about 15 minutes and suddenly *thunk* and "Holy Crap, is that it?? Yep it's lined up... Damn, quick, get some bolts started!!" :D

B

• 2 months later...

It really isnt hard

did the writeup ever happen?? im looking for some info on the topic and it sounds very interesting.

Ditto with the tranny jack. I swore that next time I have to do this, I'm buying one (rented last time and it cost 1/2 as much).

B

Why do you need a trany jack for a little aluminum trans like that. I always use the guns, even on my brothers half ton chevy Z71. Slide it back and put it on your chest then roll out. (you must be on a creeper for the roll out part to work) The same way to put it back, it's a whole lot easier to stab into the clutch when your holding it instead of trying to align a jack. On the Z I took the transfer case off first. And don't try this with a cast iron case trans!

James

Why do you need a trany jack for a little aluminum trans like that. I always use the guns, even on my brothers half ton chevy Z71. Slide it back and put it on your chest then roll out. (you must be on a creeper for the roll out part to work) The same way to put it back, it's a whole lot easier to stab into the clutch when your holding it instead of trying to align a jack. On the Z I took the transfer case off first. And don't try this with a cast iron case trans!

James

Have you removed a WD21 tranny?? I'm guessing not or else you are some ginormous bayou boy or something... :blik:

B

Have you removed a WD21 tranny?? I'm guessing not or else you are some ginormous bayou boy or something... :blik:

B

No I never pulled a WD21 tranny but lots of half ton ford and chevys, S10, ford rangers. As long as it's an aluminum case. Also only manuals, those autos are too damn heavy. And I'm not that big, 6' tall 190 pounds. Just been doing auto and diesel work from 1988 to around 2001 when I screwed up my knee. I am always in a hurry though, fighting with a jack takes too long if you don't need it. Course maybe if I didn't think that way I wouldn't have screwed up my knee.

James