Power Locks On An 87 Se

I just found out that my 87 SE has power locks! There is no switch anywhere in the truck so I figured it only had power windows and not locks. I pulled the door panels to lube up the regulator tracts. Also the doors were hard to unlock with the key or the knob inside. When I got the panel off the driver door I saw a lock solenoid inside. I figured maybe the door had been changed at one time and they just didn't take it out. I started spraying white lube on the latch mechanism and I pulled on the lock rod and both doors and the rear hatch locked. I tried with the key and now when I lock and unlock the driver door the passenger door and rear hatch lock and unlock. I guess when the key was hard to turn I never turned it far enough to actuate the power feature. Is this the only way to use the power lock feature or was there a switch on the console? My console has a blank hole that might have had a switch. The Haynes manual doesn't have anything about power locks. This little truck is full of surprises.

James

nice.

there wasnt a key on the console, but there might have been one on the drivers side armrest on the same button thing as the window buttons.

the power locks should activate when you push or pull on the door lock pin too.

No button/switch. They activate by using the key in the lock(drivers side at least) or by manuely pulling the inside knob up or down. Wait till you figure out the rear seat backs recline a little!

Cool so they are working like they are supposed to! It figures I wouldn't discover this until after taking the doors apart. It was a real pain to get unlocked especially the passenger door. I didn't want to force them and break the plastic clip I read about some guys having trouble with so I would just jiggle it until it would unlock. It was getting to where I didn't want to lock it, but I don't trust the parking lot at work. The white lube fixed them up though, they unlock very easy now even without the solenoid. My windows still sound like they are straining to roll back up. I greased the tract well and will hope for the best.

James

You guys are the best owners manual I could hope for!

Edited by JamesRich

My windows still sound like they are straining to roll back up.
Shoot some spray silicone all inside the window channel, that should help. I just replaced mine w/ a set I pulled from a Hardbody and neither would work well until I lubed them up.

No button/switch. They activate by using the key in the lock(drivers side at least) or by manuely pulling the inside knob up or down. Wait till you figure out the rear seat backs recline a little!

You can angle the front seats up too! That one surprised me the most. I have yet to figure out a use for it though, I guess it's kind of nice when you have the seat back reclined and want to angle your knees up a bit

They work as nunya said... there was no switch installed in the dash or console in the 2Dr's

I got around this one by installing '95 dor panels and wiring up the the locks to the newer console. No more broken plastic lock-thingies(the wreckers was running low), and the switches actually look like they were supposed to be there and not like a crappy box stuck to where the window crank should be. The added bonus is that without the rear doors i have 2 extra switches...I'm thinking water guns just so i can be more of a jackass than usual.

Tip: I don't suggest this unless you either GOOD at wiring, or have A LOT of patience.

The added bonus is that without the rear doors i have 2 extra switches...I'm thinking water guns just so i can be more of a jackass than usual.

Maybe start by extinguishing sparklers burning in the factory toolkit combination #6 plug tool - sparkler holder :fireworx: